Cover letter/etiquette for prior employer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cover letter/etiquette for prior employer

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:06 pm

I'm currently applying for a one year law clerk gig at a government agency I did my 2L summer with. I am on a first name basis with the hiring manager and have already emailed with him (informally) that I will be applying for the position. Basic question: how formal should my cover letter be? It feels a bit awkward - would a casual email with a more formal cover letter attachment (along with resume, etc.) be appropriate? Do I still address him as "Mr." in the letter even though no one in the office does (and thus neither did I?).

OGR3

Silver

Re: Cover letter/etiquette for prior employer

Post by OGR3 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently applying for a one year law clerk gig at a government agency I did my 2L summer with. I am on a first name basis with the hiring manager and have already emailed with him (informally) that I will be applying for the position. Basic question: how formal should my cover letter be? It feels a bit awkward - would a casual email with a more formal cover letter attachment (along with resume, etc.) be appropriate? Do I still address him as "Mr." in the letter even though no one in the office does (and thus neither did I?).
Cover letter = formal.

You can give him a call or an email to let him know your stuff's on the way, but the actual application materials need to be formal.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”