Handling job offer when you're waiting for another? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Handling job offer when you're waiting for another?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:36 am

I've got a few interviews coming up for my 1L summer. I'm excited about each of the opportunities, but some more than others. I'd like to work at Job 1, but I'd rather work at Job 2 if given the opportunity.

If I'm fortunate enough to get an offer from Job 1 before my interview with Job 2, is there a tactful way to delay until I know whether Job interview 2 results in an offer?

Thanks for the advice.

JazzOne

Gold

Re: Handling job offer when you're waiting for another?

Post by JazzOne » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've got a few interviews coming up for my 1L summer. I'm excited about each of the opportunities, but some more than others. I'd like to work at Job 1, but I'd rather work at Job 2 if given the opportunity.

If I'm fortunate enough to get an offer from Job 1 before my interview with Job 2, is there a tactful way to delay until I know whether Job interview 2 results in an offer?

Thanks for the advice.
Didn't they give you a time frame to respond? The offers I received all included a date by which the firm asked me to reply. In fact, I think NALP employers are required to give you three weeks or something like that (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:33 pm

Thanks for the response. I haven't had the interview with the first employer yet, so this is all (very) wishful thinking. However, they're a small firm. Definitely not a NALP firm. They've been very excited about interviewing me, so I'm just trying to formulate a plan if they offer me the job before my interview with employer two, and don't say something to the effect of
"let us know within a couple weeks."

Interview with employer 1 and employer 2 are about two weeks apart.

schmohawk

New

Post by schmohawk » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:53 am

If they need an answer before your second interview (or before you hear about offer from second interview), then your decision will come down to whether you feel like rolling the dice. I don't think it's a safe bet to tell them you'll be interviewing with another firm because even though they likely know this, it'll just make you seem not interested in them at all.

I'd advise you to hold your judgment for now. You haven't had either interview yet, and the first one may surprise you. You could also fail miserably at both interviews. Terrible, yes, but it'd solve this little dilemma you seem to be having. One less thing. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”