TLS 2010 OCI Study Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Stats

New

TLS 2010 OCI Study

Post by Stats » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:00 pm

Intro:

In order to satisfy my own curiosity, I recently decided to code and analyze the data points posted in last year’s OCI/EIW results thread (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=130597). As the dataset is somewhat unique, and some of the results are potentially useful, I thought I would share a bit of what I found.

Methodology:

I chose three dependent variables to use in the analysis:
  • The absolute number of offers from law firms [note that this is mostly included as a point of comparison--it's not especially informative when viewed in isolation because it depends upon a number of important factors that are not controlled for (e.g., bidder strategy, confidence, luck, and the number of callback interviews that the respondent decided to attend)]
  • The percentage of OCI/EIW screening interviews that were converted into callback interview offers (“Screening Interview Conversion Rate”)
  • The percentage of callback interviews accepted that were converted into offers of employment for the following summer (“Callback Interview Conversion Rate”)
I used the following explanatory variables:
  • School rank, based on average 2010 USNWR ranking in each grouping of schools (e.g., CCN = 5)
  • Transfer differential – the difference in USNWR ranking between the school attended during 1L and the school attending during 2L (0 if the respondent did not transfer)
  • Approximate law school rank as a percentile (e.g., top 10% = 90, not .10 or .90)
  • Legal markets in which the respondent pursued employment
  • Law review membership
  • Work experience (1 if any, 0 otherwise)
  • IP background
  • URM status
  • Self-assessed interview ability*
*This variable is slightly problematic: several posts suggested respondents were considering their results when assessing their interview ability, which creates what stats people call an endogeneity problem. Nevertheless, the variable is potentially interesting, so I’ve posted versions of each regression with and without this variable.

Caveat: The sample is weighted in two ways that could potentially bias the results: (1) most respondents attended a T50 or better school; and (2) most respondents did quite well during 1L (the median reported class rank was better than top 25%). Without getting into too much detail here, I think both of these weightings are likely to bias the results in the direction of understating the importance of law school rank and class rank.

Results:

--ImageRemoved--

Analysis:

These results could be discussed at length in an academic format, but let me draw your attention to the aspects that I find most interesting:
  • School rank appears to play a role that goes beyond the mere contextualization of law school grades. Compare the magnitude and significance of law school rank during the screening stage and during the callback stage with the magnitude and significance of class rank during the same stages, respectively—law school rank actually becomes more important during the callback stage while class rank appears to play a much smaller (if any) role.
  • Transferring pays off! While transfer students appear to be treated as though they did not transfer at all during the screening stage, which is what we might expect ex ante, they get a significant boost during the callback stage (the importance of school rank goes up, yet the magnitude and significance of the transfer differential variable goes down).
  • Law review membership doesn’t appear to buy much during OCI. This result surprised me enough that I ran another halfdozen regressions (including regressions incorporating various interaction terms and proxies for firm selectivity/prestige), but I was unable to find a statistically significant effect in any regression.
Anyway, I’m happy to elaborate on any aspect of this if anyone is interested in discussing this admittedly nerdy endeavor.
Last edited by Stats on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PriyaRai

New

Re: TLS 2010 OCI Study

Post by PriyaRai » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:20 pm

Wow

Kswizzie

Bronze

Post by Kswizzie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:30 pm

Interesting stuff... no significance for Work Ex... just curious do you have a p-score for that?

Stats

New

Post by Stats » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:41 pm

Kswizzie wrote:Interesting stuff... no significance for Work Ex... just curious do you have a p-score for that?
For the total offers model, it's in the range of .2, and for the other models its north of .5. I think the problem here is that my dummy variable groups people with 1-2 years of mediocre WE between UG and LS (a substantial number of respondents) with those who have substantial professional experience (e.g., 3-5 years as a CPA or whatnot). I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from this particular result.

lovelaw27

Bronze

Post by lovelaw27 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:25 pm

Stats, can you expalin what the transfer differential means to someone who doesn't know anything about regression analysis.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stats

New

Post by Stats » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:07 pm

lovelaw27 wrote:Stats, can you expalin what the transfer differential means to someone who doesn't know anything about regression analysis.
Sure! Suppose a student gets top 5% grades at a school ranked 40 and then transfers to a school ranked 10. During OCI, how should the employers view the student? One would expect that they would not view his class rank as directly comparable to the class ranks of his new classmates--after all, the competition was likely stronger at the school ranked 10 than it was at the school ranked 40. To account for this, one would imagine that they would effectively adjust his rank downwards in accordance with the difference between the new school and the old school (for example, moving from GULC to Penn would likely result in a relatively small adjustment, whereas moving from Hofstra to Penn would likely result in a relatively large adjustment). "Transfer differential" is the variable I use to capture this adjustment.

If you look at the coefficients in the study, you'll see that during the screening process, any improvement in school rank achieved through transferring is eliminated entirely by this adjustment. In the example above, if you just look at the School Rank variable, a move from a school ranked 40 to one ranked 10 would seem to improve the screening conversion rate by about 15% (-.5%*-30 = 15%); but then you have to factor in the transfer differential, which decreases the screening conversion rate by slightly more than 15% (-.51%*30 = -15.3%). But during the callback stage, the transfer differential adjustment is much less (and possibly nil).

On net, then, the transfer from 40 to 10 will not improve this hypothetical student's screening conversion rate, but it may improve his callback conversion rate by as much as 23% (-.78%*-30 = 23.4%)! Given that the average callback conversion rate is around 50%, this could potentially be a huge benefit for the student.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:40 pm

u on addy bro?

Stats

New

Post by Stats » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:03 pm

dood wrote:u on addy bro?
touche. probably went a bit overboard on this, but I felt compelled to try to find some answers to the questions that always seem to get asked around OCI each year. now there's some empirical evidence to verify or, to some extent, falsify the common wisdom that is so frequently recited.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:05 pm

Good work, this is pretty awesome. Do you think the sample is large enough considering all of the interactions?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mbusch22

Bronze

Post by mbusch22 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:07 pm

tag

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:23 pm

I approve of this endeavor. Seek funding for a more formal survey of law students; you could quantify the "value added" of grades & school prestige!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:26 pm

seriously outstanding work. thank you.

Stats

New

Post by Stats » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:34 pm

rman1201 wrote:Good work, this is pretty awesome. Do you think the sample is large enough considering all of the interactions?
That's a fair question, and one I discussed a bit with a stats prof I know. I don't think it's the case that any single datapoint is substantially skewing any of the results--indeed, I used a few of the standard statistical tests to search for "outliers" and didn't find anything that fit the bill (other than a coding error, which I corrected). On the other hand, some of the subtler effects are probably being lost because of the sample size--for example, grades probably do have *some* effect during the callback stage--but this shouldn't jeopardize the broader findings, especially with respect to the relative importance of various factors.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:57 pm

I'd imagine that a majority of the posters attend T14 schools. Does that affect any of these statistics, or change the influence of the sample size issue?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:10 am

fatduck wrote:seriously outstanding work. thank you.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:13 am

This is the best thread I've seen in a long, long, long time.

The rest of you: Be more like this guy.

Curry

Post by Curry » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:16 am

Knock wrote:
fatduck wrote:seriously outstanding work. thank you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:30 am

SBL wrote:This is the best thread I've seen in a long, long, long time.

The rest of you: Be more like this guy.
Whatever, like you're doing anything around here, other than hanging around, acting all smug in your red username.

Stats

New

Post by Stats » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:04 am

Sup Kid wrote:I'd imagine that a majority of the posters attend T14 schools. Does that affect any of these statistics, or change the influence of the sample size issue?
Yes, I think a little more than half attended T14s, and almost everyone attended a T50 or better. The biggest issue with this is that it limits applicability to the top 50 schools or so. It's not clear that the factors identified hear have the same effects at substantially lower ranked schools (especially T3s and T4s).

As I noted in the caveat, it's also likely that this weighting in the data, in conjunction with the disproportionate academic success reported by respondents, biases the study a bit in the direction of understating the magnitude of these effects. For example, if firms largely use grades and school rank as threshold criteria, we may be missing out on some threshold effects if substantially all respondents are above the thresholds.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Stats, are you thesealocust's alt?
Last edited by seespotrun on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:07 pm

The transfer information is really helpful! Thanks :).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Stats

New

Post by Stats » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:23 pm

seespotrun wrote:Stats, are you thesealocust's alt?
Nope

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:33 pm

So Chicago + IP = win?

Stats

New

Post by Stats » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:So Chicago + IP = win?
:D No, I wouldn't say that. As I mentioned in the OP, the first regression (total number of offers) is really just there to serve as a point of comparison. In isolation, it's of limited use because it doesn't control for, among other things, confidence, level of risk aversion, and indecisiveness. All of these things are likely to strongly affect the absolute number of offers, but not the screening and callback conversion rates. This makes the first regression much less informative than the second and third regressions.

With respect to legal markets, I think the numbers provide strong support for the notion that DC is the hardest legal market to crack. If Chicago were, likewise, the easiest market to crack, we'd see significantly higher screening and callback conversion rates (the opposite of DC), but that's not the case.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:15 pm

Stats wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:So Chicago + IP = win?
:D No, I wouldn't say that. As I mentioned in the OP, the first regression (total number of offers) is really just there to serve as a point of comparison. In isolation, it's of limited use because it doesn't control for, among other things, confidence, level of risk aversion, and indecisiveness. All of these things are likely to strongly affect the absolute number of offers, but not the screening and callback conversion rates. This makes the first regression much less informative than the second and third regressions.

With respect to legal markets, I think the numbers provide strong support for the notion that DC is the hardest legal market to crack. If Chicago were, likewise, the easiest market to crack, we'd see significantly higher screening and callback conversion rates (the opposite of DC), but that's not the case.
I was joking. There probably weren't enough samples of chicago bids to make clear trends. Conventional wisdom is NYC is better.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”