redacted. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
shotsfired12

Bronze

redacted.

Post by shotsfired12 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:50 pm

redacted.
Last edited by shotsfired12 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sup Kid

Silver

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Post by Sup Kid » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:35 pm

I think biglaw varies widely from school to school. Top-1/3 of the class at a school like GW or Fordham are having significantly better chances of getting biglaw than a school like Emory. In general though, top 10% or 15% of these schools are generally getting biglaw, while everyone else is just fighting for anything like the rest of the 40,000 law students that are graduating each year. Basically ITE, grades are everything, so study hard 1L year.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:17 pm

Sup Kid wrote:I think biglaw varies widely from school to school. Top-1/3 of the class at a school like GW or Fordham are having significantly better chances of getting biglaw than a school like Emory. In general though, top 10% or 15% of these schools are generally getting biglaw, while everyone else is just fighting for anything like the rest of the 40,000 law students that are graduating each year. Basically ITE, grades are everything, so study hard 1L year.
Top 1/3 isn't getting biglaw at Fordham without IP. Nor is Fordham ranked 20-30 at present.

To OP: I have good (but not top-10%) grades at a lower T30, and will be working for a mid-sized firm in CA doing lit.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:18 pm

I know quite a few unemployed, quite a few working in internships with parents supporting them and paying their loans (these people are 25-30 years old), know more unemployed than I know in midlaw, know as many small law as I know big law.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:19 pm

SBL wrote:
Sup Kid wrote: To OP: I have good (but not top-10%) grades at a lower T30, and will be working for a mid-sized firm in CA doing lit.
A T30 that became a T30 because of shady gaming of the USNWR ranking system ;) I keed, I keed...

When you say, "doing lit", I assume you mean literature review (or something?) - What does a position like that pay, ball-park?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:21 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
SBL wrote:
Sup Kid wrote: To OP: I have good (but not top-10%) grades at a lower T30, and will be working for a mid-sized firm in CA doing lit.
A T30 that became a T30 because of shady gaming of the USNWR ranking system ;) I keed, I keed...

When you say, "doing lit", I assume you mean literature review (or something?) - What does a position like that pay, ball-park?
I think he meant litigation..

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:22 pm

SBL wrote:Nor is Fordham ranked 20-30 at present.
Oh come now. It is pretty reasonable to infer that OP meant "strong regional schools" with the "T20-30" comment.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:25 pm

bk187 wrote:
SBL wrote:Nor is Fordham ranked 20-30 at present.
Oh come now. It is pretty reasonable to infer that OP meant "strong regional schools" with the "T20-30" comment.
This is a forum where people who want to work in DC choose WUSTL over GW because it's "T19." I never assume anyone is being less than retardedly literal when discussing USNWR rankings. But I hope no rational people would infer that I'm suggesting Fordham is any worse than any of the schools currently ranked 20-30.

And yes, "lit" refers to litigation, not document review.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:29 pm

SBL wrote:This is a forum where people who want to work in DC choose WUSTL over GW because it's "T19." I never assume anyone is being less than retardedly literal when discussing USNWR rankings. But I hope no rational people would infer that I'm suggesting Fordham is any worse than any of the schools currently ranked 20-30.
See, I don't think it makes sense to assume that both people are being insanely literal while they also are not inferring that from your statement. Though I do get your point.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:33 pm

SBL wrote:
bk187 wrote:
SBL wrote: And yes, "lit" refers to litigation, not document review.
Ah, so all hope is not abandoned! Very nice :)

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:44 pm

SBL wrote: This is a forum where people who want to work in DC choose WUSTL over GW because it's "T19."
Seriously? Thats the silliest thing I've heard in a while.

And students at those schools vary insanely on what they end up doing.
I'm a 2L at BU and I know a few people with V5 offers and awesome DC gov jobs, and some people who may very well end up unpaid volunteering anywhere someone will take them. All in all, top of the class at these schools tend to do extremely well, median and lower not so much.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:54 pm

What a wonderful system. Curved grading that insures half of entering students can pay tuition for 3 years but will be lucky to ever find gainful employment.

My wife is finishing up pharmacy school in May. Nothing was graded on a mandatory curve but plenty of people still manage to do poorly. At least with them we can feel confident they just didn't know the material (or they did other stupid things that reflect poorly on their ability to be a competent professional i.e. late night drinking before exam). You either know the subject matter, prepare adequately, take things seriously and get good grades or you don't.

Not in LS. You can know the subject matter extraordinarily well, but as long some argument can be made for why the grader likes 50 other students' responses better than yours, you're SOL.

HelltotheNo

New

Post by HelltotheNo » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:59 pm

MrAnon wrote:I know quite a few unemployed, quite a few working in internships with parents supporting them and paying their loans (these people are 25-30 years old), know more unemployed than I know in midlaw, know as many small law as I know big law.

I call bullshit on this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:02 pm

androstan wrote:What a wonderful system. Curved grading that insures half of entering students can pay tuition for 3 years but will be lucky to ever find gainful employment.

My wife is finishing up pharmacy school in May. Nothing was graded on a mandatory curve but plenty of people still manage to do poorly. At least with them we can feel confident they just didn't know the material (or they did other stupid things that reflect poorly on their ability to be a competent professional i.e. late night drinking before exam). You either know the subject matter, prepare adequately, take things seriously and get good grades or you don't.

Not in LS. You can know the subject matter extraordinarily well, but as long some argument can be made for why the grader likes 50 other students' responses better than yours, you're SOL.
Thats true to an extent. But grades aren't always super arbitrary, and they aren't the only factor in hiring (although a big one). It isn't super hard to be a median student.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:09 pm

androstan wrote:What a wonderful system. Curved grading that insures half of entering students can pay tuition for 3 years but will be lucky to ever find gainful employment.

Knowing the law and being able to apply it well are two different things. We are in law school to learn a thought process, not to memorize laws.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:40 pm

Or you could not borrow $200,000 without learning the risks beforehand.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:49 pm

SBL wrote:

Or you could not borrow $200,000 without learning the risks beforehand.
Man SBL, why are we always there to lay down the law around here? 8)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:10 pm

HelltotheNo wrote:
MrAnon wrote:I know quite a few unemployed, quite a few working in internships with parents supporting them and paying their loans (these people are 25-30 years old), know more unemployed than I know in midlaw, know as many small law as I know big law.

I call bullshit on this.
Depends on the school. While outside of the "T14" (19 and on) rankings don't matter much, there are stronger schools in that band, e.g., BC, BU, GW, Fordham, ND, UIUC.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:35 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
HelltotheNo wrote:

I call bullshit on this.
Depends on the school. While outside of the "T14" (19 and on) rankings don't matter much, there are stronger schools in that band, e.g., BC, BU, GW, Fordham, ND, UIUC.
This is true. I picked UCD over BU and GW because I wanted to work in SF. While I ended up lucking out, I barely got a job despite being well ranked. From everything I've heard, with the same rank at BU/GW I would have been fine, assuming I was willing to work on the East Coast.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:14 am

I'm interested in this. All the schools I'm looking at are t19(lol)-t30 and come with varying degrees of cost. While I acknowledge the outlook is grim right now I'm having a hard time believing the notion on TLS that outside of the top 15% at these schools you are screwed and would be better off working at burger king for the rest of your life - that in general the remaining 85% of the class is just wallowing in self pity and resigned to unemployment/unpaid/doc review.

ogurty

Bronze

Post by ogurty » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:16 am

Step 1: abolish curve
Step 2: everyone gets a 4.0
Step 3: everyone gets biglaw!

Why didn't anyone think of this before??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:41 am

Sandro wrote:I'm interested in this. All the schools I'm looking at are t19(lol)-t30 and come with varying degrees of cost. While I acknowledge the outlook is grim right now I'm having a hard time believing the notion on TLS that outside of the top 15% at these schools you are screwed and would be better off working at burger king for the rest of your life - that in general the remaining 85% of the class is just wallowing in self pity and resigned to unemployment/unpaid/doc review.
No, but outside the top third you're pretty screwed if you're going $200,000 into debt for a JD from one of these schools, and this is coming from a guy who goes to (and loves) one such school. There are a lot of good options for folks at T30s, but go into this shit eyes open.

Arelikefoxes

Bronze

Post by Arelikefoxes » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:53 am

ogurty wrote: Step 1: abolish curve
Step 2: everyone gets a 4.0
Step 3: everyone gets biglaw!

Awesome.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:02 am

ogurty wrote:

Step 1: abolish curve
Step 2: everyone gets a 4.0 who earns it
Step 3: everyone gets biglaw! who earns it

Other grad programs don't need a curve to prevent everyone from getting a 4.0.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:13 am

I'm really curious about this as well. I'm going to W&M and will probably be only taking about 5-8k per year in loans due to scholarship and some savings, but I'm horrified of what I'm going into.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”