Has anyone ever received anything but a rejection Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Has anyone ever received anything but a rejection

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:21 pm

in the mail in response to your mass mailings? I've begun to get a slew of rejections and I have to admit I still have some strange sense of like a 1 in 1000 chance that the firm is just so happening to send me an interview time and some kind of information packet instead of a rejection, lol.

Anonymous User

Re: Has anyone ever received anything but a rejection

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:30 pm

A few places asked for grades in response, one asked me to apply via their posting on Symplicity and that led to an interview. Otherwise, lots of rejection letters. And I used to love the mail...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A few places asked for grades in response, one asked me to apply via their posting on Symplicity and that led to an interview. Otherwise, lots of rejection letters. And I used to love the mail...
Haha. Well, thanks, at least I know I should definitely look at them before throwing them away. :)

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:30 pm

I got one letter that I thought was a rejection, but it just said "we got your application and we'll consider you."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:48 pm

OP: to update, I just got a letter that said the dude was very impressed by my resume and talked about some of the things that he liked about it, including details about my 1L summer job. He then said to send my resume to one of his colleagues that is the hiring partner. Good news or just a common nicety? Oh, also he is a grad of my law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:50 pm

I dunno, most of my interview have actually come out of tailored mass mailings. Specifics in cover letters ftw?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:52 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:I dunno, most of my interview have actually come out of tailored mass mailings. Specifics in cover letters ftw?
Yeah I sent out way too many to tailor my cover letters. :cry:

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:I dunno, most of my interview have actually come out of tailored mass mailings. Specifics in cover letters ftw?
I mean, I don't think it has to be SUPER specific, but ya know, just kind of tip the cap to let em know you read something about them.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:55 pm

I got an SA offer via letter (after a callback interview). You just have to read everything they send you.
Last edited by JazzOne on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This is your problem. If you tailor a cover letter - even just taking 4-5 minutes to add some details about the firm and why you want to work in the city in which that firm is located, you have a chance with your mass mailings (assuming you're in the ballpark grade-wise). It's not a big chance, but it's a chance. It's not a big chance, but it's a chance. I sent out about 150 tailored cover letters and ended up with 3 interviews out of it. Assuming I'm more or less average, this puts your odds somewhere in the vicinity of 2%. Not great, but you're a fool not to take those odds.

If you do not tailor your cover letters, your odds are 0%. You're literally just spinning your wheels. It's worth the extra time it takes, because the difference between 0% and 2% is, well, everything.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:57 pm

SBL wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This is your problem. If you tailor a cover letter - even just taking 4-5 minutes to add some details about the firm and why you want to work in the city in which that firm is located, you have a chance with your mass mailings (assuming you're in the ballpark grade-wise). It's not a big chance, but it's a chance. It's not a big chance, but it's a chance. I sent out about 150 tailored cover letters and ended up with 3 interviews out of it. Assuming I'm more or less average, this puts your odds somewhere in the vicinity of 2%. Not great, but you're a fool not to take those odds.

If you do not tailor your cover letters, your odds are 0%. You're literally just spinning your wheels. It's worth the extra time it takes, because the difference between 0% and 2% is, well, everything.
TO INFINITY, AND BEYOND!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:20 pm

SBL wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I sent out about 150 and got 3 responses and 1 interview so far, fwiw. I probably should have tailored but I honestly just don't have the time right now with family, classes, and journal.

Oh and also, I sent out only to firms in the area around my school. I've lived here my whole life and put that in my cover letter (even went to a local college). Hopefully that helps a little.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”