Externships/Clinical in Iraq,Afganistan, or at sea Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
2L2011

Bronze

Externships/Clinical in Iraq,Afganistan, or at sea

Post by 2L2011 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:01 pm

I see a lot of the boring run of the mill nations, but does anyone have any info on ABA approved externships or clinicals in Iraq, Afganistan or at sea?

BlueDiamond

Silver

Re: Externships/Clinical in Iraq,Afganistan, or at sea

Post by BlueDiamond » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:08 pm

Damn those boring run of the mill nations that arent at war

2L2011

Bronze

Post by 2L2011 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:41 pm

There is no war in the sea idea. I just think it'd be fun since I never did a semster at sea in undergrad and am curious if there is one for the JD version.

As for the "war" countries. Yeah, it'd be an experience. Does anyone know of any links/info on either of those 3 ideas?
I ask since I am authenticly curious about it.
BlueDiamond wrote:Damn those boring run of the mill nations that arent at war

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:26 pm

The only place I can even imagine you working "at sea" and practicing American law would be Navy or Coast Guard JAG, and they're sure not putting a summer intern on one of their ships. Where do you think you'd find work like that?

Also, aside from JAG, the only American lawyers I can think of that'd be needed in Iraq or Afghanistan work for the State Department. Good luck getting an internship with them at all, let alone convincing them to station you abroad.

I want to just call flame, but very little that comes from the mind of a 0L or naive law student surprises me anymore.

2L2011

Bronze

Post by 2L2011 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:37 pm

If I knew why would I ask? The parts about Iraq and Afganistan that you said make sense though.

As for at sea, there are a lot more than just govt owned vessels out there, and those companies sometimes have their own inhouse counsel and sometimes use admirality law firms. I was hoping someone had info on any of them, or had done so themselves.

Just out of curiosity has anyone here done a semester at sea of ANY kind before? (undergrad or otherwise)
vanwinkle wrote:The only place I can even imagine you working "at sea" and practicing American law would be Navy or Coast Guard JAG, and they're sure not putting a summer intern on one of their ships. Where do you think you'd find work like that?

Also, aside from JAG, the only American lawyers I can think of that'd be needed in Iraq or Afghanistan work for the State Department. Good luck getting an internship with them at all, let alone convincing them to station you abroad.

I want to just call flame, but very little that comes from the mind of a 0L or naive law student surprises me anymore.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:39 pm

i hear these guys staff a lot of lawyers

2L2011

Bronze

Post by 2L2011 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:44 pm

yeah because anyone not stuck to their momma's teet must be best buddies with TomCruise eh? I think you've proven just how useful you are. Thanks a lot. :roll:

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:47 pm

2L2011 wrote:yeah because anyone not stuck to their momma's teet must be best buddies with TomCruise eh? I think you've proven just how useful you are. Thanks a lot. :roll:
honestly it's probably your best bet for a "semester at sea"

but this isn't the lounge so i should probably give some real advice: when i was stationed in iraq and afghanistan i didn't see any law students doing semesters abroad. hth.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:25 pm

2L2011 wrote:As for at sea, there are a lot more than just govt owned vessels out there, and those companies sometimes have their own inhouse counsel and sometimes use admirality law firms. I was hoping someone had info on any of them, or had done so themselves.
Something about law firms that specialize in admiralty: Their offices tend to be on shore just like any other law firm. You don't have to be on a ship to handle an admiralty claim, and in fact you wouldn't want to be since those claims are normally resolved in federal courthouses, not in the middle of the ocean.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:30 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
2L2011 wrote:As for at sea, there are a lot more than just govt owned vessels out there, and those companies sometimes have their own inhouse counsel and sometimes use admirality law firms. I was hoping someone had info on any of them, or had done so themselves.
Something about law firms that specialize in admiralty: Their offices tend to be on shore just like any other law firm. You don't have to be on a ship to handle an admiralty claim, and in fact you wouldn't want to be since those claims are normally resolved in federal courthouses, not in the middle of the ocean.
And besides, if you were stuck in the middle of the ocean you'd also have to deal with the implication.

srvyorgeneral

New

Post by srvyorgeneral » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:37 pm

Check with the U.S. government contractors working for USAID and the State Department in Iraq and Afghanistan on rule of law contracts (and/or UNDP, which does justice sector work in Afghanistan). Not sure they'd have the mechanisms to make an externship work, but you never know.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:06 pm

Threads like these are why you should take time off before law school and get the whole study abroad bug taken care of before you start.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:43 am

worldtraveler wrote:Threads like these are why you should take time off before law school and get the whole study abroad bug taken care of before you start.
This. Law school isn't the time to have experiences you'll treasure forever. It's the time you grind to win the privilege of grinding after law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nifer327

New

Post by nifer327 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:10 am

[/quote]
And besides, if you were stuck in the middle of the ocean you'd also have to deal with the implication.[/quote]

lol

you've used the word "implication" a couple of times now. what implication?

2L2011

Bronze

Post by 2L2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:58 am

He just means he'll be scared that he can't swim. It's ok fatties float, he'll just have to grab onto his momma. He(and the rest of the orchestra) will be just fine! :wink:
nifer327 wrote:
And besides, if you were stuck in the middle of the ocean you'd also have to deal with the implication.[/quote]

lol

you've used the word "implication" a couple of times now. what implication?[/quote]

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”