Normal to skip the screening interview? (1L SA) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Normal to skip the screening interview? (1L SA)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:27 pm

I scored an interview with a largish firm in a secondary market. It seems like there is no screening interview and instead they've scheduled me for back to back interviews with several people.

I'm trying to gauge how likely my chances are. Top 2% at T2. I'm guessing that my chances are better if they are going straight to the call-back type format for the interview, but I don't know if this is normal. I interviewed with another firm and they did a screening interview first. It seems like a waste of resources if they are actually setting aside that much time for a screening interview, but that might be wishful thinking on my part.

JazzOne

Gold

Re: Normal to skip the screening interview? (1L SA)

Post by JazzOne » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I scored an interview with a largish firm in a secondary market. It seems like there is no screening interview and instead they've scheduled me for back to back interviews with several people.

I'm trying to gauge how likely my chances are. Top 2% at T2. I'm guessing that my chances are better if they are going straight to the call-back type format for the interview, but I don't know if this is normal. I interviewed with another firm and they did a screening interview first. It seems like a waste of resources if they are actually setting aside that much time for a screening interview, but that might be wishful thinking on my part.
I had several 1L biglaw interviews with no screening interview. I think it's pretty common. I wouldn't get my hopes up for an offer though. The firms I interviewed with all brought in a dozen candidates or more, for one or two positions. One interviewer told me straight up that he was just trying to make contact with top students to recruit them for 2L OCI. He said they just didn't have many 1L spots to offer. I took that as somewhat of an insult. Don't invite me to an interview and then tell me I was never being considered anyway. I'm so glad I didn't have to go crawling back to that guy. Basically, I think the 1L interviews are a way for big firms to get an early look at the talent coming through the pipeline.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:51 pm

Ah, well. At least it's more interview practice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I scored an interview with a largish firm in a secondary market. It seems like there is no screening interview and instead they've scheduled me for back to back interviews with several people.

Same thing happened to me earlier this year. I got the job....take from that what you will.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:11 pm

I've gotten an offer without a screening or callback interview, and 2 scheduled (1 not yet attended) callbacks without a screener. I don't think it's bad at all. Just look at the firm's NALP forms (if they're on NALP) and see how many 1Ls they usually hire/anticipate hiring this summer. Otherwise, try to talk to people and get info about the firm's needs. Even if they don't give you an offer, getting callback experience as a 1L is highly valuable. I definitely can think of a few subtle things I did wrong on my first callback, and I'm going to try and fix them on the second. And I'm just a 1L. And at the screening interviews I've had thus far I've felt like I'm improving with each one. These skills are crucial come 2L, so take the opportunity to develop them now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:55 pm

OP here.

Thanks! I'm not getting my hopes up, but hopefully the fact that its so late and they called me after they saw my grades is a good sign. I'm a decent interviewer, but I've never done this kind of interviewing before so the experience will be worth it either way.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:42 am

JazzOne wrote:

I had several 1L biglaw interviews with no screening interview. I think it's pretty common. I wouldn't get my hopes up for an offer though. The firms I interviewed with all brought in a dozen candidates or more, for one or two positions. One interviewer told me straight up that he was just trying to make contact with top students to recruit them for 2L OCI. He said they just didn't have many 1L spots to offer. I took that as somewhat of an insult. Don't invite me to an interview and then tell me I was never being considered anyway. I'm so glad I didn't have to go crawling back to that guy. Basically, I think the 1L interviews are a way for big firms to get an early look at the talent coming through the pipeline.
I don't mind. I treated all my firm apps for 1L summer just as a way to get my name out there and make some contacts. I think it will help me come the real deal. Then again, I don't have your grades.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:15 am

Veyron wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

I don't mind. I treated all my firm apps for 1L summer just as a way to get my name out there and make some contacts. I think it will help me come the real deal. Then again, I don't have your grades.
You've got the right attitude. I have said many times on this forum that there is more than one way to succeed in law school. I think the key is understanding your strengths and weaknesses. My social skills would be graded at a about a C. I knew that getting good grades was the only way I could impress a hiring partner.

But now I've reached a point where hard work is no longer going to get me where I want to go. Some associates are grinders who get the axe after a few years. The ones that last can shmooze and drum up business. In order to develop some skills, I'm attending bar review and joining organizations this year. I need to become more comfortable in crowds. I also think it would help if I hit the gym a bit, so that's on my agenda. I wish I had seen the light sooner, and I really hope I can change my attitude before this summer.

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:57 pm

JazzOne wrote:

That somewhat mitigates my feelings of rejection.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I've gotten an offer without a screening or callback interview, and 2 scheduled (1 not yet attended) callbacks without a screener. I don't think it's bad at all. Just look at the firm's NALP forms (if they're on NALP) and see how many 1Ls they usually hire/anticipate hiring this summer. Otherwise, try to talk to people and get info about the firm's needs. Even if they don't give you an offer, getting callback experience as a 1L is highly valuable. I definitely can think of a few subtle things I did wrong on my first callback, and I'm going to try and fix them on the second. And I'm just a 1L. And at the screening interviews I've had thus far I've felt like I'm improving with each one. These skills are crucial come 2L, so take the opportunity to develop them now.
1L here top 2% at tier one. 5 screening interviews completed, 2 more scheduled. While some firms do have positions open for 1L's, I got the feeling that other's were there for public relation reasons. However, job or no job, I am definitely grateful for the opportunity to practice interviews. I totally sucked at first, socially and selling myself. But now I feel I have a better gauge of what I should be doing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:53 pm

I'm at a T14 with a 4.0 after first semester. Got two callbacks for big market V50 firms. Both told me not to get my hopes up because they have so few jobs available; I still got offers from both.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:21 pm

Skipping straight to the callback does seem pretty common for 1L SA positions. I'm not sure how grades factor into it - I'm top third or so at a T6 - but, after sending in grades, I went straight to a callback with two V15 firms and two smaller ones major markets. No offers or dings yet, so I can't say whether it means anything or not.

Like others have mentioned though, I do get the impression that 1L SA interviewing is a recruitment/advertising tool more than a major source of hiring, since there are so few positions to go around. Either way, it's nice to get out there and network, get interview practice, and learn more about the different firms.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”