cover letters for diversity internships Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
goosey

Gold

cover letters for diversity internships

Post by goosey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:18 pm

are you supposed to mention your background in the cover letter? That seems very inappropriate for a normal application, but in this case, they are looking for diversity and want under-represented minorities--so do I need to tell them which under-represented group I belong to?? If so, how do you go about doing that without sounding totally awkward

Anonymous User

Re: cover letters for diversity internships

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:50 am

Most of the diversity fellowships seem to ask not for a coverletter but for a statement that mentions your diversity.

Kretzy

Silver

Re: cover letters for diversity internships

Post by Kretzy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:37 am

goosey wrote:are you supposed to mention your background in the cover letter? That seems very inappropriate for a normal application, but in this case, they are looking for diversity and want under-represented minorities--so do I need to tell them which under-represented group I belong to?? If so, how do you go about doing that without sounding totally awkward
So, I've applied for about 20 of these thus far. 3 callbacks, 1 rejection, and a bunch to still hear from.

You should ABSOLUTELY stress which group you are a part of, and how you've engaged with said group in the recent past. Have you done volunteer work this past year? Worked in a full-time capacity in a nonprofit that engages with your own minority group? Such things are generally important, though not critical (especially if your grades are good).

Basically, emphasize your background, the ways you've engaged with those with similar backgrounds, how you hope to continue similar work, and THEN work on stressing how much you like the firm(s)/internship(s). For most of these diversity positions, they are hoping to hire someone diverse who they like and who will provide them quality work product during the summer. Showing those two things are most important, regardless of school/background.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”