Accepting state trial judge extrnshp, then turning it down. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Accepting state trial judge extrnshp, then turning it down.

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:19 pm

Not. o.k. Correct?

To what degre? Immoral? Illegal? Neither? I think it's at the least very impolite, and at worst that it could negatively impact someone's career. My family thinks it's not that bad (dog eat dog world, afterall).

Scenario: 1L; state trial judge; vs. 1L SA w/schollarship (which could lead to full employment)

Opinions?

LLB2JD

Silver

Re: Accepting state trial judge extrnshp, then turning it down.

Post by LLB2JD » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:25 pm

Boy, all I'll say is that you're a lucky SOB.

That said, based on what I've read on here, it is not ideal to turn down a judge. It might affect the judge's impression of the students at your school.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:34 pm

Almost definitely not ok. I'd check with your school, but by applying for externships for judges it is likely you are not allowed to decline an offer when extended (less after you've accepted it). It is extremely rude (especially in your situation when you've accepted) and will reflect badly on your school.

I'd suggest that you ask the judge if he would be willing to allow your to split your summer between him and the firm; obviously, if not, you're likely stuck, but he might be understanding. The firm should understand that because you accepted a judge's offer, the best you can do is split.

It might not be against your school's policy per say, but it's still considered very bad form. Pissing off a judge, whether state or federal, is not something you want to do.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:26 am

Considering most summers are now between 14-16 weeks, you really should be able to split. Talk with your judge, explain the scholarship, and see what happens. 1L SA positions are extremely rare and coveted -- do w/e you can to avoid turning it down.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:11 pm

Screw your CSO. Talk to the judge or the clerk in person if possible. The clerk especially is in a position to understand that, ITE, an opportunity like this is not one to pass on. As a matter of fact, I'd call the clerk up and ask him if he can advise you of your options in this situation. He'll either say "do it, I totally understand, I'll help you explain to the judge," OR "well lets see if we can arrange a split," OR "you are a terrible person, and you should never renege on a judge." Either way, it's better than the advise you'll get from CSO.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”