Getting Interviews at top firms w/o OCI (T2) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
adude

New

Getting Interviews at top firms w/o OCI (T2)

Post by adude » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:39 am

Is it possible to get a job at a V50 firm coming from a T2 (80s) in a secondary market that has no OCIs with firms this highly rated? Do V50 firms consider students in the top one percent from schools they don't interview at, or would they just throw out the student's resume and cover letter? Is transfer the only way to get to the top firms?

Veyron

Gold

Re: Getting Interviews at top firms w/o OCI (T2)

Post by Veyron » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:56 am

adude wrote:Is it possible to get a job at a V50 firm coming from a T2 (80s) in a secondary market that has no OCIs with firms this highly rated? Do V50 firms consider students in the top one percent from schools they don't interview at, or would they just throw out the student's resume and cover letter? Is transfer the only way to get to the top firms?
Is the V50 in the same region as the school? Also, placing a cutoff at V50 is just strange. . . do you have ANY idea what you want to do or are you just throwing darts?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:07 am

If you're at the very tippy top of your class, lots of firms will look at you. I assume you're looking at some specific firms in a city you have ties to, in which case there's hope if you do very, very well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:24 am

It is certainly possible, I go to a T4 school that has no OCI, but still got a V50 interview. I also got a V100 offer.

FWIW I was top 1%, w/ lots of WE and only got 1 callback.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:It is certainly possible, I go to a T4 school that has no OCI, but still got a V50 interview. I also got a V100 offer.

I guess this sums it up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adude

New

Post by adude » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Renzo wrote:If you're at the very tippy top of your class, lots of firms will look at you. I assume you're looking at some specific firms in a city you have ties to, in which case there's hope if you do very, very well.
That's the problem - I only have ties to a city that really doesn't host any top firms.
Anonymous User wrote:It is certainly possible, I go to a T4 school that has no OCI, but still got a V50 interview. I also got a V100 offer.

Nice. Can I ask how you applied? Did you just send an email with cover letter and resume attached? Or did you have connections to the firm already? Unfortunately, what I lack is WE.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:43 pm

I would shoot for only V47 firms and up.. V48 to V50 are TTT-Mills.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:49 pm

Mother of god.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:59 pm

What a looser, only a V100 offer? OP wishes to breathe the rarefied air of the V50 and has no use for rabble like you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:12 pm

I go to a T80 school as well and secured a V100 Summer Associate position (sorry, I know you are aiming higher) in a competitive market across the country without OCI. Do a lot of research, pick a specific practice area in which you can demonstrate knowledge and/or interest. I had unique professional work experience that matched up perfectly with an unusual practice which really helped. Network- having someone with connections to the firm make a phone call to make sure they look at your resume can help, but is not necessary. Kill the cover letter. Send in your application over the summer.

It is definitely possible, especially if you have a science background (although I do not).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:12 pm

adude wrote:
Renzo wrote:If you're at the very tippy top of your class, lots of firms will look at you. I assume you're looking at some specific firms in a city you have ties to, in which case there's hope if you do very, very well.
That's the problem - I only have ties to a city that really doesn't host any top firms.

Nice. Can I ask how you applied? Did you just send an email with cover letter and resume attached? Or did you have connections to the firm already? Unfortunately, what I lack is WE.
I did a strictly snail mail campaign (CL, Resume, and Transcript) and had no connections.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:51 pm

reasonable_man wrote:I would shoot for only V47 firms and up.. V48 to V50 are TTT-Mills.

Enjoy Goodwin ProcTTTer

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”