JAG question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

JAG question

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:52 am

I know different federal agencies have different standards regarding past behavior. How would JAG positions react to applicants with prior drug use, but no current use or use since early undergrad and no convictions/accusations.

I assume Jag positions and all federal positions have lie detector tests, although this could be wrong.

lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Re: JAG question

Post by lawschooliseasy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:58 am

I have no idea, but would guess that it would not be a problem. The background check/security clearance with most government positions focuses on susceptibility to blackmail and personal trustworthiness/credibility. I would imagine prior drug use would not affect that. If the government disqualified everyone with prior drug use, there would be tons of people without jobs, including the last several presidents.

mala2

Bronze

Post by mala2 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:00 am

umm no. They aren't going to lie detector test you! unless you're going for a secret squirrel job don't worry about that. The army does ask about former drug use on the entry forms, JAG probably does too. Most people have tried drugs. A lot of people checked yes. A lot of people lied and checked no. A couple people told the truth and checked no. If it was a long time ago and wasn't an ongoing issue it's not a big deal. If you can't remember who you smoked with, just check no and be done with it. You probably wouldn't believe the crazy sh*t people with clearances do.

mala2

Bronze

Post by mala2 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:01 am

lawschooliseasy wrote: If the government disqualified everyone with prior drug use, there would be tons of people without jobs, including the last several presidents.
exactly. I was just honest and I got a clearance no problem

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”