CoA v. small IP firm (1L) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

CoA v. small IP firm (1L)

CoA
30%
Firm
70%

Total votes: 30

Anonymous User

CoA v. small IP firm (1L)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:19 pm

the firm pays $3000/week for minimum 10 weeks. It's a small regional firm in a city where I do not intend to practice in later.

I have a science background, but IP is not my preference. I would rather do general transactional work at a biglaw after graduation.

I know 1L Job doesn't affect OCI outcome, and internship at a CoA is not associated with the kind of prestige a clerkship would have. But still, it's a tough decision for me. My deadline is tomorrow and I just can't make up my mind. I guess it basically comes down to looking good on resume vs. money.

Which would you pick if you were me? Thanks!

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Re: CoA v. small IP firm (1L)

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:24 pm

Firm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:26 pm

Said this a few times, but 2 friends of mine both did CoA internships, and the firms at OCI were super impressed with it. Not that they wouldn't be impressed with a reputable firm in the field you intend to work in. But my friends told me that their CoA internships were absolutely key in securing the jobs they ultimately secured.

thelawguy

New

Post by thelawguy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:39 pm

As someone who worked at an IP boutique 1l summer and did not pursue IP during OCI, I can say that I think it turned some employers off to me. Once you look like an IP focused student (science background, IP SA, etc) it can be difficult to convince other employers that you are genuinely interested in their practice area.

That being said if money were not a concern I would chose the CofA, it will look great on your resume and be impressive to all types of big law firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:41 pm

thelawguy wrote:As someone who worked at an IP boutique 1l summer and did not pursue IP during OCI, I can say that I think it turned some employers off to me. Once you look like an IP focused student (science background, IP SA, etc) it can be difficult to convince other employers that you are genuinely interested in their practice area.

That being said if money were not a concern I would chose the CofA, it will look great on your resume and be impressive to all types of big law firms.
Absolutely. Employers in any field will be wowed by a CoA internship. The only students I know even getting looks from CoA are at the very top of the class. It reflects very well on you and is one of the most prestigious positions a 1L can get.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:45 pm

Thanks guys. very helpful info.

its just very hard to get over the $30k.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:56 pm

funny to see all replies are for CoA while almost all votes for firm.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:03 pm

Are you going to turn down a federal Court of Appeals judge who has (presumably) already extended an offer of employment?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:05 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Are you going to turn down a federal Court of Appeals judge who has (presumably) already extended an offer of employment?
yeah thats true. Did the CoA judge actually make you an offer or are you just speculating? Because if the judge already made the offer, then you are pretty much obligated to accept it. I wouldn't worry about money. You will make lots of it once your career really begins.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:08 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Are you going to turn down a federal Court of Appeals judge who has (presumably) already extended an offer of employment?
yeah its an actual offer. why, is that a taboo? my career office says ok even though it looks bad. I mean that's why they give you deadlines right?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
yeah its an actual offer. why, is that a taboo? my career office says ok even though it looks bad. I mean that's why they give you deadlines right?
I have just heard through this echo-chamber (as well as from my career services office) that it is particularly bad form to turn down a judge who makes you an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:11 pm

Someone from my T2 did a Federal CoA internship last summer. They are still unemployed for 2L summer. CoA internships are not that much of a boost to turn down $30k.

OP, if I were you I would have taken the firm job... but you are probably stuck since the judge already made an offer.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:31 pm

(1) COA internships aren't that impressive. Internships aren't clerkships.

(2) CSOs care about students turning down judicial internships because they are worried about themselves/future students. Worry about yourself first. Don't do crazy things to piss judges off, but if they say take a week, then take a week.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:52 pm

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:(1) COA internships aren't that impressive. Internships aren't clerkships.

(2) CSOs care about students turning down judicial internships because they are worried about themselves/future students. Worry about yourself first. Don't do crazy things to piss judges off, but if they say take a week, then take a week.
^this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”