1L: Should I send transcript even if they don't request it? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Send an unsolicited transcript?

Yes, you need to take every advantage you can get ITE
69%
No, it will make you look like a show-off/douchbag
15%
No, your grades really aren't that great
15%

Total votes: 13

Anonymous User

1L: Should I send transcript even if they don't request it?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:31 pm

I did surprisingly well my first semester: 2 A's and 1 B+, which I think comes to about a 3.79. Should I include my transcript with job applications even if the organization doesn't ask for it, or is that totally douchey? I am mostly applying for government and a variety of PI jobs (legal services, public defenders, death penalty appeals, consumer protection, etc).

Note: I posted this anonymously because some people at my school know who I am on here and I don't really want to broadcast my grades to my peers. I hope that's okay.

missinglink

Silver

Re: 1L: Should I send transcript even if they don't request it?

Post by missinglink » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:44 pm

I vote yes. If you've got them, flaunt them. Your grades are part of what should make you appealing to employers, so it is definitely relevant.

If they don't ask for a transcript, I would just include your GPA in your resume, or make reference to it in the cover letter however.

For me, my grades were instrumental in landing me my summer internship. The judge literally picked up the phone and called me that same day he received it. My resume and cover letter arriving the week before did not have the same effect.

It might open up some doors for you as well.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:46 pm

Applying for jobs is the one place where flaunting your grades is not only expected, but it is encouraged. They want to see your academic success and it can only help you since you did so well. Of course you should send them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:50 pm

missinglink wrote:I vote yes. If you've got them, flaunt them. Your grades are part of what should make you appealing to employers, so it is definitely relevant.

If they don't ask for a transcript, I would just include your GPA in your resume, or make reference to it in the cover letter however.

For me, my grades were instrumental in landing me my summer internship. The judge literally picked up the phone and called me that same day he received it. My resume and cover letter arriving the week before did not have the same effect.

It might open up some doors for you as well.
Sadly, we are not allowed to put GPA on our resume. I don't know what the rule is for cover letters, but I would feel more uncomfortable/braggy doing that than just including the transcript. But otherwise on the resume would be a good idea.

Thanks for the advice!

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:51 pm

missinglink wrote:If they don't ask for a transcript, I would just include your GPA in your resume
This.

Edit: Didn't see your reply. There must be some rule that lets you tell employers your gpa other than an official transcript... Check w/your career office.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:58 pm

Sup Kid wrote:
missinglink wrote:If they don't ask for a transcript, I would just include your GPA in your resume
This.

Edit: Didn't see your reply. There must be some rule that lets you tell employers your gpa other than an official transcript... Check w/your career office.
The problem is, they don't give us an official GPA. I think that is why we are not allowed to use it, even though it's easy to calculate. I guess I could check if I am allowed to include my actual 1st semester grades on my resume, but I don't think I am.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:01 pm

I guess see what your specific rules are about whether you can put grades on your resume.

For the life of me, I can't see why a school would prohibit their better students from distinguishing themselves to prospective employers.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:03 pm

A lot of schools dont allow you to calculate your own GPA, that is common. But they have to allow you to tell employers your grades in one way or another. Definitely talk to your CSO and if necessary figure out a loophole on your own.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:05 pm

missinglink wrote:I guess see what your specific rules are about whether you can put grades on your resume.

For the life of me, I can't see why a school would prohibit their better students from distinguishing themselves to prospective employers.
I guess for the sake of the students with lower grades. Since I expected to be one of the students with lower grades and still think my grades last semester were a fluke I won't complain too much.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”