State Superior Court externship or small-mid law job? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

State Superior Court externship or small-mid law job?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:47 pm

What do you guys think would be better for a 1L summer--a state superior (trial) court externship or a small-mid size law (30 attorneys) clerk job? I haven't secured the judicial externship yet, but I'm fairly confident given that they only demand top 30% and I'm top 5%. The law firm is a firm I worked for for several years before starting law school, and they pretty much told me that the clerk position is open to me if I want it. (The firm usually only hires 2L's from higher ranked schools than the one I attend.) It is a consumer litigation firm.

If it matters at all, I'm interested in clerking for a judge after law school finishes.

On a side note, I'm looking for a federal judicial externship as well, but as a 1L I've been told that my chances are a little slim. I would definitely take the federal externship over the law firm job.

A'nold

Gold

Re: State Superior Court externship or small-mid law job?

Post by A'nold » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do you guys think would be better for a 1L summer--a state superior (trial) court externship or a small-mid size law (30 attorneys) clerk job? I haven't secured the judicial externship yet, but I'm fairly confident given that they only demand top 30% and I'm top 5%. The law firm is a firm I worked for for several years before starting law school, and they pretty much told me that the clerk position is open to me if I want it. (The firm usually only hires 2L's from higher ranked schools than the one I attend.) It is a consumer litigation firm.

If it matters at all, I'm interested in clerking for a judge after law school finishes.

On a side note, I'm looking for a federal judicial externship as well, but as a 1L I've been told that my chances are a little slim. I would definitely take the federal externship over the law firm job.
For your 1L summer I'd say take the paying job over anything non-paying.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:22 pm

Basically. Firms are generally always better than a judge for your resume while you are in school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:52 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Basically. Firms are generally always better than a judge for your resume while you are in school.
Really? I always thought judicial externships looked better than non biglaw jobs. Also, since this is the firm I used to work for, it makes it seem like it was personal connections that got me the job instead of merit. Does that factor in at all for future employers or doesnt anyone really care how you got the job?

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:49 pm

How will they know it was by personal connections? If it is on your resume from pre-law school and again during I would think that employers would see it as a sign that you did good work and they asked you back, which is a plus in interviews.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”