re: Can you be too old for law school? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

re: Can you be too old for law school?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:47 am

Playing with the idea of going to law school. I am in my mid 20's, I have a decent GPA and my practice LSAT scores aren't bad I think that if I take a prep course I should be able to push them up.

But I am not sure if I want to make the commitment of 3 years. I still want to do some more traveling and there are other things I want to do with my life.

I recently talked to a friend of my father's who has own practice and he told me a really scary story about a 3L. The 3L was attending a Tier 1 school that was ranked in the top 100 law schools. Overall a good guy and very bright. Married with a kid on the way. The guy is almost 40 years old. He has been making the rounds for interviews but there are no takers. He was asked if he wanted to meet the guy. My father's friend said no, since he wasn't hiring. He told me that this guy is going to be up against kids almost half his age who went to better law schools than he did.

I asked him if this guy screwed? And he said no. The 3L's father has connections in his industry and he could get him a job. But it means that he has up root himself and his family 5 states over. And the guy is resistant to that idea since he has pretty much built a life for himself and his family and it would mean starting over. As my friends' father says if doesn't want to volunteer for a non-profit for the rest of his life, then he better make a decision.

It looks like what my father's friend is true.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/busin ... .html?_r=1

“Most of us either went to the wrong law school, which is the bottom two-thirds, or we were too old when we graduated,” he said. “I was 32 when I graduated, and at 32 you’re washed up in this field, in terms of a shot at the real deal. They perceived me as somebody they can’t indoctrinate into slave labor and work to death for seven years and then release if they don’t like you.”

What do you all think?

laborday

New

Re: re: Can you be too old for law school?

Post by laborday » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:06 pm

What is this guy's grades and class rank? If he is top 15% and still cannot find a job, maybe his age is a problem. Otherwise, he is in the same boat as everyone else in a Tier 1 school.

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:09 pm

Do you really have to be anonymous to post an article that's been posted several times in this forum already?

Mid-20's is way too old for law. Quit now.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:11 pm

I think you can be too old, but if you are ~25, which is what I assume with "mid-20s," I don't think you are too old. In fact, most of my friends in school are 25-28. I'm not saying "yes! OMG go to law school!" You should still consider it depending on your finances/schools you get into/family situation etc. but I don't think this fact alone should stop you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:40 pm

I'm a 2L at a "T7" law school. 31 now, will graduate at 32. I'm going to be a summer associate at a "V20" law firm. At the call back interview, I got to meet associates who had been hired because they were older and had "work experience".

I also have classmates in their 40s who found work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:54 pm

mdallavis wrote:Do you really have to be anonymous to post an article that's been posted several times in this forum already?

What an utterly moronic and uneducated comment. In your case seeing as you can't read, law school is most certainly above your head. The average age for students admitted into LS is 24. So explain to me how mid-20's is way too old? Have you not read the stats for the majority of schools? Or realized that LS covet work experience and most student's graduate undergrad at 21...shessh?

Didn't think so. :roll:

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:56 pm

:D

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:02 pm

mez06 wrote:
mdallavis wrote:Do you really have to be anonymous to post an article that's been posted several times in this forum already?

What an utterly moronic and uneducated comment. In your case seeing as you can't read, law school is most certainly above your head. The average age for students admitted into LS is 24. So explain to me how mid-20's is way too old? Have you not read the stats for the majority of schools? Or realized that LS covet work experience and most student's graduate undergrad at 21...shessh?

Sarcasm, brosef. I happen to know that mdallavis is a 72 year old 0L.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:04 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PhillyFan09

New

Post by PhillyFan09 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:10 pm

mez06 wrote:

Have you not heard of sarcasm?

Didn't think so.

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:28 pm

Ginj wrote:
mez06 wrote:

You're sweet.

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:34 pm

mdallavis wrote:
Ginj wrote:
mez06 wrote:

You're sweet.
Anything for you, puddin'.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:39 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”