The proper way to ask a family connection for a summer job Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
moandersen

Silver

The proper way to ask a family connection for a summer job

Post by moandersen » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:20 am

I am a 1L and have come to the reality that connections is what gets a person a job - especially when the legal market is in the tank. I would like to ask a family friend, who owns a mid-sized firm in a large market, if they would be hiring 1Ls. But I feel like I need to do this in a certain way to show that even if they arent hiring, Im still interested in their firm. Any suggestions as to what kind of email I should write, and what I should include in it? Thanks.

r6_philly

Diamond

Re: The proper way to ask a family connection for a summer job

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:30 am

I am not yet an 1L, but from experience, if you want a family friend to do you a favor you should get whoever in your family that is the friend to refer you, and ask him/her for advice on what to ask. It is more personable and less like a "cold call", and you don't have to lay out the relationship yourself.

I reply on family connections a lot in a professional setting, it is just so much less awkward if you can get your family to establish the dialog first.

lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Post by lawschooliseasy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:30 am

Depends how well you (or your family) know them. If you know them fairly well, I would write them a nice e-mail explaining that you are searching for a job and wondering if they are hiring for the summer and attach your resume. If you don't know them quite as well, I would simply send a standard e-mail stating that your resume/cover letter are attached in application for employment, with one or two sentences that reference the personal connection.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:43 am

If this person is a close friend and is a nice guy you should honestly be set (especially if you'd be willing to work for free). For example, if it is your dad that is friends with this person just have him call the guy (or email if he is not as close) and just tell him your son is a 1L looking for an internship and if he could help or knows someone. I think it's best to just be strait forward (assuming this person is actually somewhat close and not a friend of a friend of a friend). I've used connections big time since the day I applied to college through getting jobs. The trick is, assuming you have some connections, to just not be afraid of asking and when it is something extremely important, being a little pushy helps. Just remember the favors all ways come back so you need to be willing to return the favor in the future.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:49 am

Wanted to add, I also receive a lot of requests for favors/help and I hate it when they are not referred first.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:57 am

thanks for the constructive responses. I actually worked for this firm way back in high school, and I have had numerous conversations with the contact discussing law school the past few years. I just dont want to step on any toes and not only possibly shoot myself in the foot, but also have that reflect poorly on my family. hmm, that must be the conservative 'dont disgrace the family name' asian in me talking.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:07 pm

moandersen wrote:thanks for the constructive responses. I actually worked for this firm way back in high school, and I have had numerous conversations with the contact discussing law school the past few years. I just dont want to step on any toes and not only possibly shoot myself in the foot, but also have that reflect poorly on my family. hmm, that must be the conservative 'dont disgrace the family name' asian in me talking.
Asians are all about family connections, but you need to go through the proper channel. Getting out of line is disgraceful. Let your family open the door for me. As old as I am, my parents always take me and introduce me to people. If you go directly outside of your family to a family friend, your family may feel slighted as well. If you had constant contact with the person after high school then it's ok, if not you need to reconnect through family.

Only my opinion.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”