Sending a grade update Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dakatz

Gold

Sending a grade update

Post by dakatz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:39 pm

I applied to a bunch of judges for internships next summer and wanted to update them on my grades. I originally sent out a really formal application packet (resume and cover letter on really nice paper, fancy large envelope, printed labels, writing sample, etc.). What sort of formality you think it is good to go with for just a quick GPA update? I was planning on just putting in 2 white sheets in a regular-sized envelope, 1 with a quick message about my grades and semester performance, the other with a copy of my resume just in case they misplaced the old one. Or do you think this quick update requires the same level of formality as before with resume paper, printed labels, etc.?

dakatz

Gold

Re: Sending a grade update

Post by dakatz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:09 pm

Oh and one additional question. I sort of waited on applying to firm jobs until grades came out, and now that my grades might actually give me something to work with (which my work experience really doesn't), I was looking to throw a few apps out at my home market. When you apply to a firm, do you guys attach both a cover letter and resume to the email? Or do you make the body of the email constitute your cover letter and just attach a resume? I'm guessing this is purely a matter of preference, but again, I'm always interested in hearing what you guys have to say.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:20 pm

how u send dis to a firm?

"Dear x

I just wanted to update you because I recently received my fall grades and feel that they are an important aspect of my application. I earned a 3.76 GPA. If you would like a unofficial copy of my transcript please let me know as I would be happy to send it to you. Please let me know if you require any additional information.

Thx
Bai"

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:53 pm

dakatz wrote:I applied to a bunch of judges for internships next summer and wanted to update them on my grades. I originally sent out a really formal application packet (resume and cover letter on really nice paper, fancy large envelope, printed labels, writing sample, etc.). What sort of formality you think it is good to go with for just a quick GPA update? I was planning on just putting in 2 white sheets in a regular-sized envelope, 1 with a quick message about my grades and semester performance, the other with a copy of my resume just in case they misplaced the old one. Or do you think this quick update requires the same level of formality as before with resume paper, printed labels, etc.?
I was decidedly less formal with the updates. I printed one sheet of paper on normal (but still good quality) white paper. I used the same header as my other material, which included name, email address, phone number, etc. If you duplicate the header, that should allow them to match it with your resume. If they've already lost your resume, I can't imagine you are high on their list anyways. :lol:

I still used resume envelopes, and printed their addresses on them.

On the update, I wrote a couple sentences along the lines of "I wanted to update you about my grades, as they have now been reported."

I listed out each course and the accompanying grade, and below that told them the term GPA. I then reiterated my interest in the position, and looked forward to hearing from them.

ogurty

Bronze

Post by ogurty » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:26 am

I sent unofficial transcripts, along with a letter explaining why I was sending it. Career services told me to send an updated resume as well - just to remind them who I am - but I didn't bother with that. Definitely not the 100% cotton paper either.

As for firms, attach the cover letter. If it's the body of the e-mail, it takes one more step for them to save your materials together to show a hiring partner. IMO.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:37 am

Would an email suffice to update? Maybe with an updated resume attached?

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:57 am

Yes, an email with your grades is fine. In the body of the email, list a) who you are, b) your cumulative gpa, and c) your individual class grades -- if they want more than that (transcript, etc), they'll let you know. Email is probably even better than snail mail, as it gets to them immediately and makes it easy for them to respond if they are trying to get back to you, plus you save paper and $0.44!

Edit: Some people may say you should attach your resume/transcript to the initial email, which I would say is also acceptable. If you do that, you should have a part d): "please find attached x and y for your convenience"

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:06 am

dakatz wrote:I applied to a bunch of judges for internships next summer and wanted to update them on my grades. I originally sent out a really formal application packet (resume and cover letter on really nice paper, fancy large envelope, printed labels, writing sample, etc.). What sort of formality you think it is good to go with for just a quick GPA update? I was planning on just putting in 2 white sheets in a regular-sized envelope, 1 with a quick message about my grades and semester performance, the other with a copy of my resume just in case they misplaced the old one. Or do you think this quick update requires the same level of formality as before with resume paper, printed labels, etc.?
Why the fancy envelopes and really nice paper?? I thought it was expensive enough making copies of everything at office max and paying for all the postage. How much did all of that cost?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:36 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Why the fancy envelopes and really nice paper?? I thought it was expensive enough making copies of everything at office max and paying for all the postage. How much did all of that cost?
Too much

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:56 pm

Similar thread here:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=144667

Not much in terms of responses there, but same idea.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:30 pm

I sent a pretty brief update:

"Dear X:

My name is XX and I applied to your firm's summer associate program on December 1, 2010. I am writing to update my application with my grades from Fall Term. I received an XX GPA (or XX HHs/Hs/Ps, whatever system you would use), which puts me [near the top of my class/at XX class rank/in the top half of my class/etc.].

I have attached my official transcript, but would also be happy to send a hard-copy to your office if desired. Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Best,
XXX"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”