NYU PILC Fair -- Cover letters? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYU PILC Fair -- Cover letters?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:40 pm

Quick question -- how necessary are cover letters? There was a very brief thread from last year where someone said they were writing cover letters for 5-10 they really cared about and did just resume uploads for the rest. Wondering how bad an idea this is.

Two parts to the question:
1) If you're applying for the 2011 fair, are you doing cover letters for every employer?
2) If you did the fair in past years, did you get any interviews without submitting cover letters?

democrattotheend

Bronze

Re: NYU PILC Fair -- Cover letters?

Post by democrattotheend » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:02 pm

I wrote cover letters for all of the PILC fair employers I applied to. Don't get my interview schedule until Tuesday, so no idea if it helped.

Does anyone know if we should have cover letters in hand for the employers we want to talk to at table talk?

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:33 pm

democrattotheend wrote:Does anyone know if we should have cover letters in hand for the employers we want to talk to at table talk?
Last year, I think I saw everyone just give in their resumes. However, I don't see how it could possibly hurt (beside for lack of time) if you wrote cover letters to places you're really interested in.

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:36 pm

LjakW wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:Does anyone know if we should have cover letters in hand for the employers we want to talk to at table talk?
Last year, I think I saw everyone just give in their resumes. However, I don't see how it could possibly hurt (beside for lack of time) if you wrote cover letters to places you're really interested in.
Yeah, I probably won't have time to do it for all of them. But there were a few organizations I already wrote cover letters for before realizing they were table only.

Since you went through the fair last year, do you have any advice on navigating it/getting in at table talk, etc? Is it going to be too mobbed to really get to talk to anyone at table talk, and even if you do, does not having applied originally (I got shut out of a few places) kill your chances?

Any other advice on what to expect?

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:48 am

democrattotheend wrote:Since you went through the fair last year, do you have any advice on navigating it/getting in at table talk, etc? Is it going to be too mobbed to really get to talk to anyone at table talk, and even if you do, does not having applied originally (I got shut out of a few places) kill your chances?

Any other advice on what to expect?
I'm pretty sure that Table Talk, when they also do interviewing, is specifically an opportunity for those who did not apply to that org or who did not receive an interview from that org.
It may be a little intimidating at first, but once you get into it, it's fun/not so bad. The way it generally worked was, there were either one or two representatives from the organization at their respective table. There are like three empty chairs across from them and people would come and chat for about five-ten minutes (could be longer or shorter, but this really depends on whether there are people behind you waiting not so patiently to get a seat at the table), you would have a short conversation and hand them your rezzy. Depending on the personal connection you made, the organization representative may make a notation and then you wait to hear from them...
I was there pretty much the whole day, so I don't remember exactly how crowded it was and whether there were specific busy times, but it was definitely manageable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:43 pm

Thanks for the advice.

Last year, did they not have the interview schedules up when they said they would? They were supposed to be up no later than 3 PM today. I know I am being impatient but I've been eagerly awaiting them for weeks!

bodhis

New

Post by bodhis » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:25 pm

the deadline for employers to select interviewees and the deadline to post the schedules are at the same time according the website. actually before today the deadline for the employers was actually later than the posting deadline. so... i wouldn't hold my breath. :D

i think your school's career services office is supposed to send out an e-mail when the schedules are up

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:53 am

I just heard back from someone at PILC who said they anticipated running the scheduler Thursday morning. Don't know how long after that the schedules will be up, but I figured I would share.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:29 pm

OP here. Interview schedules are up. For what it's worth, I got a few interviews with places that I only sent a resume, no cover letter. This information will help exactly no one right now, but thought I would update anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”