Brooklyn DA v. Bronx DA v. Queens DA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which is the better office?

Brooklyn
35%
Bronx
35%
Queens
30%

Total votes: 63

jreg

New

Brooklyn DA v. Bronx DA v. Queens DA

Post by jreg » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:52 am

Which office has the more interesting work? prestige? exit ops? ( lets exclude Manhattan)

I know starting salaries for bx and queens is 54,000.
Brooklyn is 50,000.

Which office places more adas in USAO offices or main justice?

Which office is the best to work for and offers the most opportunity for exciting work?

Voyager

Silver

Re: Brooklyn DA v. Bronx DA v. Queens DA

Post by Voyager » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:37 am

jreg wrote:Which office has the more interesting work? prestige? exit ops? ( lets exclude Manhattan)

I know starting salaries for bx and queens is 54,000.
Brooklyn is 50,000.

Which office places more adas in USAO offices or main justice?

Which office is the best to work for and offers the most opportunity for exciting work?
Bronx or Queens. Avoid Brooklyn. Understand that SDNY does not hire ADAs. Other offices may.

I'd lean towards Queens, but I liked Bronx as well. Actually, I had an offer at Bronx for an ADA position. Happy to answer questions about interviewing.

Series70

New

Post by Series70 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:54 am

^ Can you elaborate on why Brooklyn should be avoided?

Also: I was told that about 30% of the AUSAs at the EDNY are former ADAs, while the rest came from firms, FWIW.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:10 pm

Avoid Brooklyn like the plague. They're incredibly top heavy - they have like 100 executive level ADAs who get paid $130k+ and try all the interesting cases that come in. Everyone else is like a line worker at the ford assembly plant. They plug you in somewhere, and you do that jonb for 6 months, a year, maybe more. You end up drafting cases in ECAB for a year straight. Or you end up in an all purpose part day in day out for 4 months. THey do everything horozontally so you never really get into your cases (except some felonies and DV). You wont even have any cases at all when you start. They're also notorious for rescinding offers (probably because they spend 75% of their budget on 15% of the people who work there. Everything about the office is partisan and political too. You can be fired on a whim for annoying the wrong person.

Queens, and to a lesser extent, the Bronx, train you to develop into an experienced trial lawyer. You pick up your own misdemeanors and build them from day 1. You try them. You go back in 6 months and do an intensive trial ad program. The hope is that you develop into someone who can handle and try complicated cases that interest you (homicides, sex crimes, white-collar, narcotics, etc.). The Bronx is similar but they really throw you into the fire early.

There are a ton of former ADAs at the EDNY. The vast, vast majority came from Manhattan, with a smattering of Bronx and Queens.Whoever said there are no former ADAs at SDNY is wrong. There are at least 3 that I know of who came from, and I'm positive there are more. SDNY though does seem to hire very few ADAs, though, and the ones they do tend to be T6 LR types.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Avoid Brooklyn like the plague. They're incredibly top heavy - they have like 100 executive level ADAs who get paid $130k+ and try all the interesting cases that come in. Everyone else is like a line worker at the ford assembly plant. They plug you in somewhere, and you do that jonb for 6 months, a year, maybe more. You end up drafting cases in ECAB for a year straight. Or you end up in an all purpose part day in day out for 4 months. THey do everything horozontally so you never really get into your cases (except some felonies and DV). You wont even have any cases at all when you start. They're also notorious for rescinding offers (probably because they spend 75% of their budget on 15% of the people who work there. Everything about the office is partisan and political too. You can be fired on a whim for annoying the wrong person.

Queens, and to a lesser extent, the Bronx, train you to develop into an experienced trial lawyer. You pick up your own misdemeanors and build them from day 1. You try them. You go back in 6 months and do an intensive trial ad program. The hope is that you develop into someone who can handle and try complicated cases that interest you (homicides, sex crimes, white-collar, narcotics, etc.). The Bronx is similar but they really throw you into the fire early.

There are a ton of former ADAs at the EDNY. The vast, vast majority came from Manhattan, with a smattering of Bronx and Queens.Whoever said there are no former ADAs at SDNY is wrong. There are at least 3 that I know of who came from, and I'm positive there are more. SDNY though does seem to hire very few ADAs, though, and the ones they do tend to be T6 LR types.
That is what I meant: SDNY hires hardly any ADAs. Extremely rare. And when i asked SDNY AUSAs about it, they seemed to sneer at ADAs and said they don't like to hire them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:02 pm

so no Brooklyn ADAS have made the transition to EDNY or MainJustice?

Based upon the profiles of people i have found online, it seems that former Kings County ADAS have done better for themselves than ADAs in the Bronx or Queens.

A couple of white collar government investigation people in large law firms. None so from the Bronx or Queens.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:09 pm

Most of the Brooklyn ADAs you see at firms and in gov't were there pre-Hynes. It used to be regarded as a great office, almost on par with Manhattan, but in the last 10-15 years it's gone straight downhill.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:54 pm

your right. I looked them up again. They were there in the early 80's, pre Hynes.

SO you would list in order of prestige and better office now: Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Has anyone who did a 3rd round with the Bronx heard back yet? Or anyone know when they usually contact you and how (i.e. phone call, letter, etc.)?

Any info would be great...I'm crawling up the wall...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:19 am

yea they did 3rd rounds in dec. they contacted me by phone. there were alotttt of people interviewing. they did about 4 every half hour for a couple of weeks.
people i spoke to ranged from schools from nyc to all over. most were trial ad/ moot court stars with a few comps under their belt. They said offers wont be extended until june due to budget but i know a few top level candidates that received offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:16 am

I know a few people from last year got offers in aug/sept. They did interview a lot this year, but most of the people in my interview group seemed pretty normal and not like rockin superstars (moot ct or otherwise). Five new ADAs starting this month too, so I'm guessing as long as you haven't gotten a rejection letter, you can hold out hope.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:34 pm

What chances would someone have at one of the NYC DA's offices if they didn't have moot court/mock trial but had a demonstrated commitment to public interest and volunteer work and worked as a summer intern in one of the offices?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:24 pm

Hmm... I'd like to know that too...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:07 pm

deleted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What chances would someone have at one of the NYC DA's offices if they didn't have moot court/mock trial but had a demonstrated commitment to public interest and volunteer work and worked as a summer intern in one of the offices?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What chances would someone have at one of the NYC DA's offices if they didn't have moot court/mock trial but had a demonstrated commitment to public interest and volunteer work and worked as a summer intern in one of the offices?
Pretty good I'd guess. I didn't do moot court or mock trial (outside of trial ad class and an internship) but I worked in a bunch of prosecutors' offices and I was hired at Manhattan DA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:37 am

For those who are familiar with USAO hiring practices of ADAs, how well do ADAs from the Long Island offices fare?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:54 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Queens or the Bronx regarding a summer internship? I sent in my Bronx application in late October, and Queens in November...haven't heard a thing - losing hope.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:03 pm

Avoid Brooklyn like the plague.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:09 pm

newyorker88 wrote:Avoid Brooklyn like the plague.
Mind sharing? Is it the inconsistency of the experience based on which dept you work in? I have a friend who interned and loved it, so I'd be interested in hearing the counterpoint.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:Avoid Brooklyn like the plague.
Mind sharing? Is it the inconsistency of the experience based on which dept you work in? I have a friend who interned and loved it, so I'd be interested in hearing the counterpoint.
Yeah, I interned there too and loved it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:46 am

Any more thoughts or insights into working in the Bronx after graduation?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:11 pm

Bump. Anyone get a summer internship offer at any of these offices? I received email from Brooklyn that there would be an early march status update, but nothing from Bronx/Queens.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:57 pm

Bump on the internship questions. I called the Bronx ~2 weeks ago and they said they wouldn't be starting to review for a while, but the woman I spoke to didn't seem too sure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:43 pm

Does anyone know whether any of these DA's offices drug test for marijuana? If so, when? Is it a one-time test, or are ADAs subject to random testing?

SWIM would think that there is a drug test, but isn't sure. SWIM has already accepted an offer from brooklyn, but SWIM won't be sworn in until january. They never mentioned anything to SWIM about a drug screen in any of SWIM's four interviews, nor did they mention it in the 3-year employment contract, which SWIM signed and mailed back to the office about two months ago. SWIM hasn't heard anything about it since. Anyone know from first hand experience?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”