USAO CDCA v. SDCA for Summer--TIME SENSITIVE Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which USAO office would you choose?

Central District of CA (Los Angeles)
33%
Southern District of CA (San Diego)
48%
It doesn't matter and won't make a difference
19%

Total votes: 21

KG_CalGuy

Bronze

USAO CDCA v. SDCA for Summer--TIME SENSITIVE

Post by KG_CalGuy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:35 pm

Hey,

I may soon be in the position of considering offers from USAO offices in Los Angeles and San Diego. I have already been offered a job with the LA office and am scheduled to interview with the San Diego office. Both jobs would be with the Civil Division. The jobs are unpaid but I would receive just over $4000 from my university for doing a public interest job over the summer. My parents live in San Diego, so I could live at home for the summer and have minimal expenses if I worked with the San Diego office (thus allowing me to pay down a little bit of interest on my loans). If I had to relocate to LA, however, I would probably spend almost all of my stipend. I expect the jobs are roughly similar, but the Central District of California (LA) is much larger and covers a broader range of cases than the Southern District of California (San Diego). In short, I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are in terms of choosing an office, considering both expenses as well as "intangibles" such as prestige/impact for OCI (assuming I want to go to a big firm 2nd year).

I know the question is somewhat broad, but any feedback would be appreciated. I have until the 15th to accept the LA offer. Thanks!

elmagic

New

Re: USAO CDCA v. SDCA for Summer--TIME SENSITIVE

Post by elmagic » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:57 pm

I'd go with the SDCA office. LA isn't cheap to live in, and whatever extra prestige the CDCA office may have I think it is outweighed by the convenience of being able to live at home. I would think that the USAO in any district in California will be seen as a positive on your resume. Congrats on the offers btw.

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:10 am

Where are you aiming to end up city-wise out of OCI? LA, SD, or elsewhere? Also, are you currently attending LS in Southern California?

mightyaphrodite

New

Post by mightyaphrodite » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:08 am

I originally voted for the CDCA office, but glossed over the part where you discussed living for free in San Diego. Hang on to the LA offer, but if you get the San Diego offer, go there. Not blowing through the stipend is TCR. No one will care if you went to SDCA instead of CDCA.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:14 am

mightyaphrodite wrote:I originally voted for the CDCA office, but glossed over the part where you discussed living for free in San Diego. Hang on to the LA offer, but if you get the San Diego offer, go there. Not blowing through the stipend is TCR. No one will care if you went to SDCA instead of CDCA.
^ this

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:08 am

I worked at the USAO CDCA last year. It was a good summer gig.

USAO CDCA is probably second to only USAO SDNY in terms of prestige. Nevertheless, for your 1L/2L summer, it doesn't make any difference. Working at a USAO is more than enough. Just make sure that you have a handful of interesting stories to tell from your time at the USAO.

If you want to be a AUSA in the future, it definitely helps to have worked in a USAO office previously. You definitely hear of stories of former interns ending up at the same office. However, one of the AUSAs at CDCA I worked with had interned at the San Diego office while he was in school. It doesn't seem like they held it against him.

KG_CalGuy

Bronze

Post by KG_CalGuy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:02 pm

Thanks to everybody for the feedback so far. Also, as for the person that asked about my career goals/where I attend law school. In terms of legal markets, I expect I'd like to return to Southern California (LA or SD would be fine) but would be just as happy in the SF market (I applied to the NDCA office but never heard back and probably couldn't afford housing up there this summer anyway). Regarding my law school, I attend a t5 east coast school but went to UG in CA and was born and raised in San Diego.

KG_CalGuy

Bronze

Post by KG_CalGuy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:16 pm

Shameless bump for any additional feedback/votes

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:01 pm

Envious of your position. :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

irish017

Bronze

Post by irish017 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:06 pm

I'd do San Diego. Living at home, while sometimes annoying, really is clutch.

Plus it's San Diego. It was awesome where I was there and saw Shampoo the whale when I was 8.

KG_CalGuy

Bronze

Post by KG_CalGuy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Thanks again to everybody. It was a tough choice for me, but I went with the majority on this one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”