summer internship: USAO-NDCA vs. Cal. AG Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which position should I accept for the summer?

USAO Civil Division
53%
USAO Criminal Division
40%
California AG
7%

Total votes: 15

Anonymous User

summer internship: USAO-NDCA vs. Cal. AG

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:55 pm

I have interviewed with one department in the California AG's office and received offers from both the civil and criminal divisions of the USAO-NDCA. Assuming the choice is between the three...

- Other than personal preference, is there any reason to pick the USAO's civil division over the criminal? Or vice versa?
- Might a position in the USAO stand out a little more than one with the AG?

Background: I am not gunning for BigLaw (and my recently released grades probably put me out of contention anyhow, hah/blah...) and would instead like to pursue a career in government/public sector litigation.

Anonymous User

Re: summer internship: USAO-NDCA vs. Cal. AG

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:13 pm

for USAO-NDCA this is the SJ branch right? when did you interview and when did you get your offer? I very recently interviewed with them, so curious.

I can't help you decide but all of those are great opportunities.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:15 pm

also how did they contact you about the offer?

thanks! and congrats btw

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:30 pm

Not sure why my post disappeared. Oh, did you start a whole new thread?

USAO >>AG in every respect

Crim >> Civ

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:also how did they contact you about the offer?

thanks! and congrats btw
Thanks! And, hell, we might be coworkers in the near future, haha.

I was indeed referring to the San Jose branch (no word from the San Francisco office's Criminal Division yet). I interviewed the week before Christmas and they extended an offer via phone just a few days ago. It seems they are trying to fill slots ASAP: they have already filled a few and are only giving me a few days to respond.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:42 pm

Yep that's the impression I got too. If you don't mind me asking until when are they giving you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:43 pm

Voyager wrote:Not sure why my post disappeared. Oh, did you start a whole new thread?

Crim >> Civ
I may have started a new thread; I'm not entirely sure, haha... Perhaps due to a glitch in the "Anonymous" posting, my previous one did not show up anywhere on the Forum.

In any case, thanks for your input! I am definitely leaning towards the USAO Crim.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yep that's the impression I got too. If you don't mind me asking until when are they giving you?
I have until Monday, January 10--and that's only after some negotiation. I had originally tried to give myself until the end of next week (especially since school doesn't start until next week for me, so I wanted a chance to talk to Professors, Career Office, classmates, etc.), but they responded by setting a firm date.

The [somewhat awkward] exchange went something like this...
Me: Thank you so much! When do you need to hear back from me?
USAO: When can you get back to us?
Me: (wheels turning vigorously in my head trying to come with something fair to both them and myself) Next week...?
USAO: (a couple days later) Or how about we set a firm date of January 10. Let us know if that will be a problem.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Voyager wrote:Not sure why my post disappeared. Oh, did you start a whole new thread?

Crim >> Civ
I may have started a new thread; I'm not entirely sure, haha... Perhaps due to a glitch in the "Anonymous" posting, my previous one did not show up anywhere on the Forum.

In any case, thanks for your input! I am definitely leaning towards the USAO Crim.
Oh great... I found the previous [practically identical] thread, but I cannot delete it because I did it anonymously. Fail.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yep that's the impression I got too. If you don't mind me asking until when are they giving you?
I have until Monday, January 10--and that's only after some negotiation. I had originally tried to give myself until the end of next week (especially since school doesn't start until next week for me, so I wanted a chance to talk to Professors, Career Office, classmates, etc.), but they responded by setting a firm date.

The [somewhat awkward] exchange went something like this...
Me: Thank you so much! When do you need to hear back from me?
USAO: When can you get back to us?
Me: (wheels turning vigorously in my head trying to come with something fair to both them and myself) Next week...?
USAO: (a couple days later) Or how about we set a firm date of January 10. Let us know if that will be a problem.
Take the USAO crim offer. Best gig a law student can have.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:22 pm

I see that some people have voted for the Civil Division over Crim. Reasons/explanations?

I have heard that--if I were to apply to firm jobs in the future--it would be advantageous to intern in the Civil Division, since they do work that is closer in line with that done at firms (big or small). Is there any truth to that?

Of course--for now at least--I have more of an interest in criminal law, plus the Crim. Division position allows interns to prosecute misdemeanors in court and simultaneously earn the certification. It is unclear whether the same opportunity would be available in the Civil Division.

Any former interns from either division out there?

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I see that some people have voted for the Civil Division over Crim. Reasons/explanations?

I have heard that--if I were to apply to firm jobs in the future--it would be advantageous to intern in the Civil Division, since they do work that is closer in line with that done at firms (big or small). Is there any truth to that?

Of course--for now at least--I have more of an interest in criminal law, plus the Crim. Division position allows interns to prosecute misdemeanors in court and simultaneously earn the certification. It is unclear whether the same opportunity would be available in the Civil Division.

Any former interns from either division out there?
I interned at Crim. More difficult to get into. More impressive to employers. Many former crim AUSAs are in lit departments everywhere in biglaw.

GMVarun

Bronze

Post by GMVarun » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:53 pm

Something to consider is trying something different for your 1l summer. If you know you want to do crim law, it may be a good experience to try civil. Might as well experiment with your 1l summer as you may not have a chance to do this again. I feel like both usao offers you have are good and it won't make any significant difference for your 2l job search. It's a tough choice imo but a good one to have.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:49 pm

I am the poster from above. Do you mind me asking what you ended up deciding? Also did they tell you anything about whether other people decided/if they are sending out more decisions?

Thanks! I still haven't heard, so I am wondering when if ever to expect something.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”