Three Piece Suits in Biglaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
megaTTTron

Silver

Three Piece Suits in Biglaw

Post by megaTTTron » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:29 pm

For an SA.

I don't recall seeing any at any of my interviews. I have two. Is it cool if I wear them, or will I look like an idiot? Or does it not matter at all?

Thanks.
Last edited by megaTTTron on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bdubs

Gold

Re: Three Piece Suits in Biglaw

Post by bdubs » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:39 pm

megaTTTron wrote:Yes or no?

I don't recall seeing any at any of my interviews. I have two. Is it cool if I wear them, or will I look like an idiot? Or does it not matter at all?

Thanks.
For SA or interview? Three piece suits are really uncommon these days, I am not surprised you didn't see any during your interviews. I work in DC and almost never see them, although I would imagine if it were just a regular day in the office during your SA you would be fine to give it a try.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:41 pm

Don't do it. When it comes to interviewing, if you have to ask yourself "is this too tight/too loud/too flashy/etc..." just don't do whatever it is you're considering.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:42 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:When it comes to interviewing, if you have to ask yourself "is this too tight/too loud/too flashy/etc..." just don't do whatever it is you're considering.
Yea, this is no doubt credited, I'd say even for the SA itself. But I'm wondering if adding a vest constitutes "loud/ flashy."

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:45 pm

So you're thinking about wearing them fairly often while as an SA?

I think it really depends on what those who decide whether to extend an offer at the end of the summer or not think about it. I can imagine that some might be annoyed by it being too ostentatious and others not really caring, so it is really hard to tell.

I'd say if you don't know what they will think then err on the side of caution as it shouldn't be a big deal to you whether you can wear a vest for 3 months or not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:46 pm

megaTTTron wrote:Yea, this is no doubt credited, I'd say even for the SA itself. But I'm wondering if adding a vest constitutes "loud/ flashy."
It's not loud or flashy, but I think it draws at least some attention towards you for being a tad out of place.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:47 pm

bk187 wrote:So you're thinking about wearing them fairly often while as an SA?

I think it really depends on what those who decide whether to extend an offer at the end of the summer or not think about it. I can imagine that some might be annoyed by it being too ostentatious and others not really caring, so it is really hard to tell.

I'd say if you don't know what they will think then err on the side of caution as it shouldn't be a big deal to you whether you can wear a vest for 3 months or not.
The more I think about it, the more I think I just won't. It's not a big deal, I just have 2 and I didn't know if it was cool or not to wear them. Plus, it's going to be hot in the summer.

Thanks for the advice.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:49 pm

megaTTTron wrote:The more I think about it, the more I think I just won't. It's not a big deal, I just have 2 and I didn't know if it was cool or not to wear them. Plus, it's going to be hot in the summer.

Thanks for the advice.
Oh yeah, wasn't even thinking about the weather. A suit during the summer is a nightmare for me, I couldn't imagine adding a vest on top of that.

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:53 pm

Don't do it. It's dumb. The weather is hot. And unless your office is business formal, you'll stick out like a sore thumb just for wearing the suit.

Wear it to court if you want, but it's going to be a hot ride/walk to the court.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:56 pm

This post: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=143744

will answer pretty much everything you wanted to know with regards to appropriateness of 3 piece suits. Though I love them, unfortunately the credited response seems to be that as long as you're an associate, no 3 piece suits to the office. Worn by a young guy, they may come off as ostentatious.

DukeCornell

Bronze

Post by DukeCornell » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:58 pm

I hate vest! :?

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:03 pm

[Redacted because A&O is a genius].
Last edited by megaTTTron on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:43 pm

You will literally melt into a puddle of sweat and wool if you wear a vest in NYC in summer. Also, they will make you look like a poser. Once you are the $1.8 million-a-year managing partner, you can wear the most ostentatious pinstriped 3 piece suit you can find. Until then, do everything you can not to ever make one person say, "what is THAT guy wearing?"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MartianManhunter

Bronze

Post by MartianManhunter » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:53 pm

You'll be hot, but no one will care. Nobody holds being well-dressed against you. Don't wear a pocket watch with it, though.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:15 pm

I like them. But I tend to dress conservatively for a person in his late 20s (almost always wear a blazer if I'm not going to Court, though not required).

Here is my take. For an interview, absolutely not. For a SA gig, only if you see others wearing it... And by others, I mean other associates, not partners.

Once you're a lawyer, you can rock em out once in a while. I tend to wear them if I am hosting a deposition at my office (mostly so I can take off my suit jacket, but still be formal for the depo). I also tend to wear them for appearances in Court, but only appearances such as motions or conferences and typically only in Federal Court or at the Appellate Division. I would probably not wear one for a trial (unless the opposing attorney happened to dress like a slob and I thought it might help to set me apart as a well dressed professional and not a slob).

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:04 pm

reasonable_man wrote:I like them. But I tend to dress conservatively for a person in his late 20s (almost always wear a blazer if I'm not going to Court, though not required).

Here is my take. For an interview, absolutely not. For a SA gig, only if you see others wearing it... And by others, I mean other associates, not partners.

Once you're a lawyer, you can rock em out once in a while. I tend to wear them if I am hosting a deposition at my office (mostly so I can take off my suit jacket, but still be formal for the depo). I also tend to wear them for appearances in Court, but only appearances such as motions or conferences and typically only in Federal Court or at the Appellate Division. I would probably not wear one for a trial (unless the opposing attorney happened to dress like a slob and I thought it might help to set me apart as a well dressed professional and not a slob).
good advice. thank you.

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:21 pm

Nothing to see here.
Last edited by A&O on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:29 pm

Last edited by megaTTTron on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:30 pm

Now I'm really curious if this is the firm I think it is.

Edit: Aaa, I see, NYC V10. Now I'm wondering if you're the person I think you are, haha. Nevermind though : )

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:39 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
A&O wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
A&O wrote:Don't do it. It's dumb. The weather is hot. And unless your office is business formal, you'll stick out like a sore thumb just for wearing the suit.

Wear it to court if you want, but it's going to be a hot ride/walk to the court.
[Redacted because A&O is a genius].
Heh. You realize you just outed your firm, right?
Damn it. Editing previous post. lol.
I edited my post.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:40 pm

A&O wrote:
I edited my post.
My man. Haha. Thank you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:45 pm

I'm a fan of the contrast collar...is it kosher to wear one during an interview...I understand being risk averse and going with the white shirt, navy suit look, but I mean the shirt is Brooks Brothers lol...I am OL, but since this topic is being discussed I wanted in

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:48 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:I'm a fan of the contrast collar...is it kosher to wear one during an interview...I understand being risk averse and going with the white shirt, navy suit look, but I mean the shirt is Brooks Brothers lol...I am OL, but since this topic is being discussed I wanted in
The contrast-collar is almost unequivocally associated with "banker d-bag." Avoid.

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:52 pm

A&O wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:I'm a fan of the contrast collar...is it kosher to wear one during an interview...I understand being risk averse and going with the white shirt, navy suit look, but I mean the shirt is Brooks Brothers lol...I am OL, but since this topic is being discussed I wanted in
The contrast-collar is almost unequivocally associated with "banker d-bag." Avoid.
I thought it was the European style spread collar...this is terrible news haha

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:00 pm

A&O wrote:
This. I also think it looks pretty awful.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”