1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Stanford4Me

Platinum

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What percentage of 1L's do you think are getting paid gigs for the summer? Also, is it even relevant? I mean, do any firms that will interview 2L OCI and beyond care if your work was paid or not? I guess I don't see why they would care, but law firms are strange when it comes to hiring.
8-9% at NYU. No, they don't care.
Wow, that does seem low. I read your later posts too, but just to clarify: you mean that only 8-9% of NYU students are working a job that is 1) paid and 2) related to the law in any way?

Or do you mean 8-9% have summer associate positions with biglaw? Also, where are you getting the numbers? That seems kind of...specific...to just be an estimate. :)

Thanks for the info.
8-9% of 1Ls (from summer 2010) are working with Biglaw firms. I think there are a number of things that affect this (but it's mere speculation on my part). First, NYU really pushes us towards PI especially during our first year. We had an entire 2 hour session on how to get jobs in PI, and virtually nothing on how to get jobs in the private sector. Second, our Spring OCI is mostly government/PI work. Last, private jobs don't really show up on our CSM until later in the Spring semester, after people have secured work with another organization.

NYU gives us a book of where all the 1Ls from previous years worked so we can get a gauge of places that hire from NYU and what not. The 8-9% figure was told to us by NYU and, if I wanted to, I could go through the list of where students worked and verify it.

Forgive me for the lack of clarity in my first post. When I think of paid positions I think straight to Biglaw, haha.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:14 am

Gotcha, Stanford. Do you have an idea of what percentage of 1L's overall get paid summer jobs that are related to the law?

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Gotcha, Stanford. Do you have an idea of what percentage of 1L's overall get paid summer jobs that are related to the law?
I could go through the packet and look. I'd be willing to do that . . . if you REALLY want to know. They don't tell how many 1Ls get paying gigs in total.

As a piece of anecdotal evidence, a lot of my friends have jobs as in-house counsel which pay pretty well (though not biglaw salary).

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:27 pm

I had an interview today with a small firm. My interviewer was an alum, so, we just spent the whole time talking about the school. I managed to say I didn't much like contracts, although they do some of that stuff there, but, other than that I think it went fairly well. I'm hoping I get this, as its paid. Not a lot, obviously. But, if I'm going to be working in a field I'm not particularly interested in, which is all my choices right now, I may as well be making some money. Plus, with this job I'd get to interview clients on my own, do a little bit more than just research and write. So.... yeah.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:49 pm

I've only had three interviews, 2 with small local firms and 1 with a public interest group in DC. I'm about ready to give up. What kind of back up plan do people do when this happens and they have no internship/job for the 1L summer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've only had three interviews, 2 with small local firms and 1 with a public interest group in DC. I'm about ready to give up. What kind of back up plan do people do when this happens and they have no internship/job for the 1L summer?
Create your own project that involves research and writing.
That's an absolute last resort, but it gives you something interesting to talk about at OCI

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:59 pm

^^

I'm in the same situation. Pretty much starting from scratch. I had two small firms who both said they really wanted to hire me a few weeks ago. Yesterday, they both fell through. Both decided not to hire any summer interns due to space and cashflow issues. They were nice enough to let me know that it had nothing to do with me, but I am still a little miffed that they interviewed me several times BEFORE deciding to hire interns. That just seems a little backward to me. Oh well, going around begging for research and mass mailing small firms. I really though this would be easier, not easy, just easier. I mean I am at a good school, have great grades, several years of work experience, and all that jazz. Wtf is the deal? being an unsought-after commodity blows. Now we all know how nat gas feels right now.

I am just worried that this 1L job schtuff is going to kill me at EIP this summer. I also cannot keep worrying about job for this summer because I have exams in a few weeks and they are much more important.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:30 am

What's the edequite for sending the "I have this other offer, can you tell me soon," when you've only just had your interview with the place you want to work at and haven't yet even sent a thank-you note? It seems like one thing to do this a few weeks later. But, a few days later seems inappropriate.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've only had three interviews, 2 with small local firms and 1 with a public interest group in DC. I'm about ready to give up. What kind of back up plan do people do when this happens and they have no internship/job for the 1L summer?
Everyone knows a solo-lawyer, whether its a friend of your parents or a recent alumni from your school. Just go talk to them and offer them your services for free.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:13 am

snowpeach06 wrote:What's the edequite for sending the "I have this other offer, can you tell me soon," when you've only just had your interview with the place you want to work at and haven't yet even sent a thank-you note? It seems like one thing to do this a few weeks later. But, a few days later seems inappropriate.
Generally they tell you in the interview to let them know immediately if there is a potential change in your candidacy. Offers are limited by time and they know that...completely appropriate

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:28 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:What's the edequite for sending the "I have this other offer, can you tell me soon," when you've only just had your interview with the place you want to work at and haven't yet even sent a thank-you note? It seems like one thing to do this a few weeks later. But, a few days later seems inappropriate.
Generally they tell you in the interview to let them know immediately if there is a potential change in your candidacy. Offers are limited by time and they know that...completely appropriate
+1 I interviewed with a firm and at the end of the day the recruiting director told me to let them know if I receive any other offers. I told her right there that I had already received one. They ended up giving me an offer the next day.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:22 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
+1 I interviewed with a firm and at the end of the day the recruiting director told me to let them know if I receive any other offers. I told her right there that I had already received one. They ended up giving me an offer the next day.
Mine never said anything like that. But, I guess I'll just send an e-mail tomorrow. Awesome meeting you, really excited about the law clerk position with your firm. Just wanted to let you know I've received another offer, but would much prefer to take this one.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:06 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
Mine never said anything like that. But, I guess I'll just send an e-mail tomorrow. Awesome meeting you, really excited about the law clerk position with your firm. Just wanted to let you know I've received another offer, but would much prefer to take this one.
Am I the only one who winced at the use of the word, "Awesome"? I don't think that comes across as to professional in a follow up letter... On the other hand, it might work if the interview was really.... awesome....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:11 pm

Total Litigator wrote: Am I the only one who winced at the use of the word, "Awesome"? I don't think that comes across as to professional in a follow up letter... On the other hand, it might work if the interview was really.... awesome....
I figured she would choose her words more carefully in the actual email.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:29 pm

Networking works! Nationwide midlaw firm. Don't give up hope, all still searching!
(T2; OK grades)

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:31 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Total Litigator wrote: Am I the only one who winced at the use of the word, "Awesome"? I don't think that comes across as to professional in a follow up letter... On the other hand, it might work if the interview was really.... awesome....
I figured she would choose her words more carefully in the actual email.
I prefer to use the terms "bitchin" or "badass"

I had a bitchin' time meeting with you and I'm really excited to work as a law clerk in your firm. Just an FYI, I have a badass offer from from another firm, but would much prefer to take this one.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:08 pm

Total Litigator wrote:
Am I the only one who winced at the use of the word, "Awesome"? I don't think that comes across as to professional in a follow up letter... On the other hand, it might work if the interview was really.... awesome....
I paraphrased for purposes of the internet. Although, this girl was young. She might actually be ok with the word awesome.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:21 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:
I paraphrased for purposes of the internet. Although, this girl was young. She might actually be ok with the word awesome.
I've noticed that employers are less formal than your career office makes them out to be. Or maybe employers in Texas are. I can't tell you how casual my emails with recruiting directors and hiring partners has been.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:29 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:
I've noticed that employers are less formal than your career office makes them out to be. Or maybe employers in Texas are. I can't tell you how casual my emails with recruiting directors and hiring partners has been.

I had a partner at an NYC mid-sized firm casually use the F word. I had one partner ask me to take off my jacket to see if I look liked a "jersey Shore Guy' because I had some sports/gym related stuff in my "interests section." I'd say NYC can be pretty informal too!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:33 pm

swc65 wrote:[
I had a partner at an NYC mid-sized firm casually use the F word. I had one partner ask me to take off my jacket to see if I look liked a "jersey Shore Guy' because I had some sports/gym related stuff in my "interests section." I'd say NYC can be pretty informal too!
That's good to know. I haven't had any interaction with NYC employers thus far even though I'm in NY.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:45 pm

Usually an e-mail back and fourth to an employer will look like this:

Them: fairly formal interview request
Me: Super formal
Them: Fairly casual - even using exclamation points!
Me: Slightly less formal, but still formal
Them: Even more casual
Me: Formal
Them: Casual
Them: the Formal rejection form letter

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:54 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Usually an e-mail back and fourth to an employer will look like this:

Them: fairly formal interview request
Me: Super formal
Them: Fairly casual - even using exclamation points!
Me: Slightly less formal, but still formal
Them: Even more casual
Them: Casual
Them: the Formal rejection form letter
Cue nervous laughter.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:09 am

Well I think when you get to the point with an interviewer where you both are legitimately being casual, that's usually the sign of a something specialll. However, I have learned the hard way that you should only respond to formal with formal.

Interviewer for an Honors program at the FTC: So how does it feel to be finally graduating?

Me: Oh, I'm actually just really glad to have finished within four years, ya know?

Them: Oh.. okay.

What went unsaid was that I actually took 5 years worth of credits within 4 years, but I don't think they were too impressed with my answer.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:40 pm

Stipend application REJECTED.

Womp womp.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”