Unsolicited Writing Sample - Judicial Internships Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
missinglink

Silver

Unsolicited Writing Sample - Judicial Internships

Post by missinglink » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:29 am

Apologies if this has been asked and answered. I searched for a while and found conflicting advice.

I'm getting ready to send out cover letters and resumes to a slew of Superior Court judges. There isn't much information online, that I can find, as to their specific policies regarding writing samples. As a 1L, I tend to think they need something other than a cover letter and resume, though I've heard that many judges will decide before grades have even come out.

As I see it, I can either send out the applications (1) without a writing sample, (2) with a writing sample, (3) or contact each office specifically and ask first. The last option seems pretty time consuming, given the number of applications I'm dealing with.

What's the consensus on sending writing samples with other material? Mine is under 10 pages, and it got me the best LWR grade in my section, so I'm fairly confident it can only help. That is, unless most judges/clerks don't have the time or inclination to read a writing sample.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Re: Unsolicited Writing Sample - Judicial Internships

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:44 am

missinglink wrote:Apologies if this has been asked and answered. I searched for a while and found conflicting advice.

I'm getting ready to send out cover letters and resumes to a slew of Superior Court judges. There isn't much information online, that I can find, as to their specific policies regarding writing samples. As a 1L, I tend to think they need something other than a cover letter and resume, though I've heard that many judges will decide before grades have even come out.

As I see it, I can either send out the applications (1) without a writing sample, (2) with a writing sample, (3) or contact each office specifically and ask first. The last option seems pretty time consuming, given the number of applications I'm dealing with.

What's the consensus on sending writing samples with other material? Mine is under 10 pages, and it got me the best LWR grade in my section, so I'm fairly confident it can only help. That is, unless most judges/clerks don't have the time or inclination to read a writing sample.
Fellow 1L here. The vast majority of job posting for judicial internships that I have seen have requested a writing sample. Sometimes it might even say on the website for that particular court/judge what they want. Best option would probably be to call/look up online and find out. I don't think there's anything really wrong with sending a writing sample if you're not sure though. With that all said, I'm just another 1L who has a minimal amount of experience with the process so far.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:46 am

Just send it. If they don't want to read it, they won't. If they do, it'lll help. I can't imagine a clerk being outraged enough to reject your application because of an attached sample that he or she can easily throw out. If it's no hassle or cost to you, I can't see why it'll hurt.

Whenever firms/agencies have requested solely resumes and trasncripts (this is non OCI jobs), I still write a cover letter and attach a writing sample. This is just anecdotal but I feel like my response has been better when I have attached both.

Good luck (though why do you want a judicial clerkship? Your writing is apparently excellent. Seems like the most boring type of legal internship.)

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just send it. If they don't want to read it, they won't. If they do, it'lll help. I can't imagine a clerk being outraged enough to reject your application because of an attached sample that he or she can easily throw out. If it's no hassle or cost to you, I can't see why it'll hurt.

Whenever firms/agencies have requested solely resumes and trasncripts (this is non OCI jobs), I still write a cover letter and attach a writing sample. This is just anecdotal but I feel like my response has been better when I have attached both.

Good luck (though why do you want a judicial clerkship? Your writing is apparently excellent. Seems like the most boring type of legal internship.)
Thanks for the responses. I'll send it with the other materials. Now I'll need to pick up some thicker envelopes.

I suppose the main reason I want a judicial internship is to get a sense of the court system from the other side of the bench. Career-wise, I want to move into criminal litigation, so I think the choice seems practical.

What sort of (more interesting) legal internships would you suggest I look into?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”