Who Knows About the Presidential Management Fellowship? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kdsunday

New

Who Knows About the Presidential Management Fellowship?

Post by kdsunday » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:12 pm

Does anyone know anyone that did it?

It sounds like a neat experience, though the emphasis is on public policy and legislation.

Voyager

Silver

Re: Who Knows About the Presidential Management Fellowship?

Post by Voyager » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:17 pm

Finalist. Turned down interview invite for another position. Talked to people who did it.

Questions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:38 pm

I just asked a question to you about this in your other thread, so I might as well ask it here. Could you explain the interview process and the sort of qualities you think they were looking for in candidates. Also, PMF never asks for transcripts, right?

Thanks!

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:44 pm

Sure. Here is my answer again:

PMF does not ask for transcripts.

They have a different take on finding candidates than they did in 2010. Now they are focused on leadership and team work skills.

Here is how to handle ALL interviews you will ever have in your life:

1) Write down all of the traits that you think the organization sees in itself.
Example: PMF sees itself as an elite leadership fast track program.

2) Next, extrapolate out the traits/skills they are looking for in a candidate.
PMF: Takes the initiative, is creative, can work well on a team, understands how to lead a group, can explain how to set goals, build consensus based solutions and implement those solutions, etc...

3) Finally, brain storm stories that will allow you to demonstrate those traits. I recommend at least 4. They should cover the following (at minimum):
a. time you lead a team through a change
b. time you had a big success (yeah, you want 2 "I won" stories here as a and b)
c. Biggest weakness/time you failed
d. time you convinced someone who disagreed with you/hated your guts to do it your way.

Each story should be 5-6 min long max. Each story should demonstrate that you have the above traits.

By the way, the PMF test is now focused on leadership issues. Should be easy for a former military officer. For the rest of you... well, you should probably read up on how the U.S. Government thinks about leadership.

More questions? Does that help?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:47 pm

I'll re-answer over here, in case you'd rather keep it in this thread:

Yes, helps a lot. Thank you.

Do you know how tough it is to snag a PMF legal job? I got the impression that they are few and far between, and I worry that doing PMF might prevent me from ever getting into a legal career.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:51 pm

ok. heh. let's stop this and just pick one thread. Will answer PMF questions here now.

Summary: no legal work for you in PMF. So sorry. You are interviewing to become a leader.

Difficult job to get. Reach out to departments you like early BEFORE the career fair after you become a finalist.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”