How far along should one be in getting an internship? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How far along should one be in getting an internship?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:39 pm

I'm a 1L trying to find a summer internship. I haven't gone to my on campus employment office yet, currently it is closed for the holidays. I have been trying to do as much networking as possible. I have been trying to set up meetings with as many attorneys I can but the holidays have definitely interfered with scheduling. I'm just wondering if I'm behind right now in the process of finding an internship, or am I about average, or ahead of schedule. What month do students start getting interviewing and getting hired?

Note: I don't even get my grades until the end of January.

SteelReserve

Bronze

Re: How far along should one be in getting an internship?

Post by SteelReserve » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:44 pm

I can speak to my and my friends' experience for obtaining 1L summer judicial internships, which are quite valuable depending on the judge's interaction and interest in you. Some judges like to wait to see first semester grades. If you want to jump the gun there is no problem with sending your resume and cover letter out immediately. But personally if you are confident you did well, I would simply prep my cover letters through mail merge and edit my resume so that all you need to do when grades are in is to update your grades on the resume. Then send out immediately.

Anonymous User

Re: How far along should one be in getting an internship?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:05 pm

A couple of my friends parents are very well connected in the cities they live in and have emailed me the names and contact info of a few attorneys they know. I can't decide whether to just email them with my resume and a cover letter that expresses my interest in interning for them. OR, email them and try to set up a face to face meeting and take the "I'd like advice and info." angle.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”