Letters of Rec Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
imano1989

New

Letters of Rec

Post by imano1989 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:26 am

I'm in a dilemma. The best letters of recommendation that I can probably get is from my undergrad degree. Will that hurt me in getting a 1L summer internship or should I request them from law professors only?

Sup Kid

Silver

Re: Letters of Rec

Post by Sup Kid » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:10 pm

What 1L job requires letters of recommendation? I've never heard of one, and I applied to biglaw firms, smaller firms, judicial internships, and different government positions...

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:07 pm

All government positions I am applying to as a 1L require at LEAST 1 letter of rec. I say get it from an undergraduate professor who knows you, 1L summer internships aren't expecting for you to get close with any professor in one semester.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:44 pm

Strange, I worked at a USAO my 1L summer, and applied to a bunch of DOJ divisions, none of which wanted recs. However, if you need one, I agree w/Barbell -- use someone who knows you well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”