1L summer: Fed Judge, County Attny, Small firm, local judge? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which is the best job for me?

clerk for a federal judge
73%
work in the county attorney office
13%
work for a small firm
10%
work for a small town judge
3%

Total votes: 30

usuaggie

Silver

1L summer: Fed Judge, County Attny, Small firm, local judge?

Post by usuaggie » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:34 am

I have a few good leads, but I want to prioritize them in case I get offers from more than one.

None of these are official yet.

First, a family friend said she could set me up with a federal judge. This would be in Las Vegas, my hometown, but not somewhere I want to end up eventually. I would like to end up in Utah or California, maybe Arizona.

Second, a few small firms (5-15, mostly) in utah and nevada through connections.

Third, the county attorneys office in the town where I went to college. my favorite place in the world. I am also getting married there this summer (end of may, most likely) and the girl's family all live there.

lastly, a local judge in the same town where i went to college.

I'm thinking fed judge is the best choice out of those. school credit, experience, resume builder (my resume is pretty awful. went straight from K to JD)

Let me know your opinions of each. i'd appreciate it.

dood

Gold

Re: 1L summer: Fed Judge, County Attny, Small firm, local judge?

Post by dood » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:38 am

Last edited by dood on Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

npe

Bronze

Post by npe » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:00 pm

In before OP gets crucified for listing "clerking" for a federal judge as one of the poll responses.

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:38 pm

npe wrote:In before OP gets crucified for listing "clerking" for a federal judge as one of the poll responses.
what should I call it then if not "clerking"?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to work for a large/mid law firm, it may be a good idea to stay away from bumblefuck, and dumas LLC. Unfortunately, having a small firm like that on your resume can actually hurt you due to the snobbery that lawyers tend to exhibit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:46 pm

usuaggie wrote:
npe wrote:In before OP gets crucified for listing "clerking" for a federal judge as one of the poll responses.
what should I call it then if not "clerking"?
I assume because - technically - it's considered an externship not a clerkship.

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:05 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Depends on what you want to do. If you want to work for a large/mid law firm, it may be a good idea to stay away from bumblefuck, and dumas LLC. Unfortunately, having a small firm like that on your resume can actually hurt you due to the snobbery that lawyers tend to exhibit.

I'd like to end up at a small firm. I'm not crazy about 80 hour work weeks every week, no matter how much money I make, and I'd rather not work over the entire weekend. having a family is important to me. so i think being a judge or an attny in a small firm work best for me.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:50 am

Federal judge is a good generic answer. Less good in this case because you don't want to work in NV. But you'll probably get some good/interesting experience. Good to do if you think you may be competitive for clerkships.

Small firms vary widely as far as type of work, pay, hours, general quality of life, and likelihood of making a post-grad offer. One of these could very well be the best option if the factors are favorable.

If you want to work in your college town, then go for the county attorney (often a mix of civil and small criminal matters, decent opportunity to develop a writing sample, etc.) unless your local judges hire clerks (post-grad).

180orbust

New

Post by 180orbust » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:08 am

Don't intern for a judge. My friend did this and was really bored. You're not clerking, you're just doing bullshit research.

Work for a small firm or the country atty's office and get some real experience being a lawyer. If the small firm is the sort of place you could see yourself working, then definitely jump on that. Even if it is a less prestigious position, its way more useful, more interesting, and lawyers appreciate seeing some real law experience instead of just doing research on some arcane point in some judge's backroom all day.

Everyone (except for the 14 OL's who voted for federal judge) knows 1L judicial internship is bullshit. You want to be able to tell interesting stories about your summer practicing law during job interviews next fall.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

180orbust

New

Post by 180orbust » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:20 am

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
180orbust wrote:Don't intern for a judge. My friend did this and was really bored. You're not clerking, you're just doing bullshit research.

Work for a small firm or the country atty's office and get some real experience being a lawyer. If the small firm is the sort of place you could see yourself working, then definitely jump on that. Even if it is a less prestigious position, its way more useful, more interesting, and lawyers appreciate seeing some real law experience instead of just doing research on some arcane point in some judge's backroom all day.

Everyone (except for the 14 OL's who voted for federal judge) knows 1L judicial internship is bullshit. You want to be able to tell interesting stories about your summer practicing law during job interviews next fall.
Oh, right, because you won't be doing "bullshit research" at a small firm, etc.? C'mon. All 1L summer jobs, or basically all of them, involve the same kind of stuff: some research, some memo writing, some networking, some observing.

As has been said many times before, it mostly doesn't matter what you do your 1L summer as long as it is (1) legal (2) worth talking about at OCI and (3) in your preferred market if possible.

And yes, OP, summer internships =/= clerkships. Clerkships are salaried, full time jobs available to graduates only.
Yeah, you'll have some shit work to do at a small firm, but at least its for clients and you'll usually be included in lawyers practicing law. I don't know if your CoA has 1L interns, but I assume they're treated pretty well what with your whole "settling issues of law" instead of factual disputes. I guess it depends on the district/judge, but I hear being a 1L intern is really boring, at least compared to a fast-paced informal law firm environment where you might get exposed to a wide variety of issues.

AntiHuman

Bronze

Post by AntiHuman » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:43 am

usuaggie wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Depends on what you want to do. If you want to work for a large/mid law firm, it may be a good idea to stay away from bumblefuck, and dumas LLC. Unfortunately, having a small firm like that on your resume can actually hurt you due to the snobbery that lawyers tend to exhibit.

I'd like to end up at a small firm. I'm not crazy about 80 hour work weeks every week, no matter how much money I make, and I'd rather not work over the entire weekend. having a family is important to me. so i think being a judge or an attny in a small firm work best for me.
+1000

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”