Harvard moves EIP up, start of classes back Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wiseowl

Silver

Harvard moves EIP up, start of classes back

Post by wiseowl » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:57 pm

--LinkRemoved--

EIP August 15th-19th, classes start September 12th

Basically looks like they want all interviewing and callbacks done so they don't distract from the precious ivory tower musings.

This hiring system is beyond stupid at this point. Way to take the lead HLS.

Cavalier

Gold

Re: Harvard moves EIP up, start of classes back

Post by Cavalier » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:19 pm

Wow, that's like three weeks of nothing to do for the folks who don't get callbacks.

npe

Bronze

Post by npe » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:46 pm

Or three weeks of busting their asses to find extra-OCI work, which will be a lot easier without classes going on at the same time.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:50 pm

This must be sponsored by the Boston-area hotel committee.

When are students supposed to move in? Is it really worth paying a month of rent for OCI interviews when nothing else happens for 3 more weeks?

npe

Bronze

Post by npe » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:54 pm

Move in? Don't they already live there, by virtue of being 2Ls?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:58 pm

npe wrote:Move in? Don't they already live there, by virtue of being 2Ls?
not unless they all had 1L summer jobs in Boston. what are you talking about? even if they keep the apartment they rented in 1L (not all do), that's still a month of subletting/month to live at home to cut costs that they lose.

npe

Bronze

Post by npe » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:05 pm

I'm assuming that they signed one-year leases beginning in the fall of their 1L year, in which case your point about losing a month of subletting income is applicable. But it could well be worth it to shift a month of disruptive job-hunting outside the school year.

It could be that nine-month leases are more common in Boston than they are elsewhere; I wouldn't know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:04 pm

Again? Are all the T-14 schools going to follow suit and keep pushing OCI back? Might as well move it back to May, when we get 1L grades. :roll:

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:28 pm

Kudos to HLS for this one. People bitching above about extra rent etc. is dumb. This gives students who are already at the top of the food chain and even bigger leg up in hunting for jobs (early bird gets the worm).

For all that TLS does to bash schools and helping students get employed, this is one of the better moves made by a school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:30 pm

They should have done this sooner. OCI has turned into an arms race, and other schools were getting their students onto callback schedules much earlier than us this year (I think CLS was like 3 weeks earlier).

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:10 pm

Lawl Shcool wrote:Kudos to HLS for this one. People bitching above about extra rent etc. is dumb. This gives students who are already at the top of the food chain and even bigger leg up in hunting for jobs (early bird gets the worm).

For all that TLS does to bash schools and helping students get employed, this is one of the better moves made by a school.
It's also indicative of an increasingly untenable trend in student hiring. I applaud HLS being reactive on behalf of its students (I guess, though "but, but Columbia does it" isn't a good enough reason). I don't applaud the fact that we continue to hurtle down a path where pretty soon we'll forego 1L summer jobs altogether because we'll be busy interviewing.

Also, your attitude about "students who are already at the top of the food chain" (meaning, generally, they performed well on a four-hour test :roll: ) is interesting. What about those who aren't?

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:16 pm

wiseowl wrote:
Lawl Shcool wrote:Kudos to HLS for this one. People bitching above about extra rent etc. is dumb. This gives students who are already at the top of the food chain and even bigger leg up in hunting for jobs (early bird gets the worm).

It's also indicative of an increasingly untenable trend in student hiring. I applaud HLS being reactive on behalf of its students (I guess, though "but, but Columbia does it" isn't a good enough reason). I don't applaud the fact that we continue to hurtle down a path where pretty soon we'll forego 1L summer jobs altogether because we'll be busy interviewing.

Also, your attitude about "students who are already at the top of the food chain" (meaning, generally, they performed well on a four-hour test :roll: ) is interesting. What about those who aren't?
Top of the food chain (as I was referring to it) = HLS students in general compared to other law students.

The students with lower grades are going to struggle (relatively) regardless of when the interviewing occurs so it is a benefit to them to get "the first bite at the apple" in the recruiting process.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:17 pm

wiseowl wrote:

Why should Harvard give a damn about non-Harvard students?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:41 pm

This x100

Also, I found the entire process extremely draining and hectic this past year. Trying to care about the start of 2L classes was difficult when scheduling callbacks and trying to hustle for a job. Flyout Week is similarly disruptive since it comes after what, 2 weeks into the semester? It's hard to just get on a good schedule and get into a good rhythm for the semester. There were also firm that were telling me they were basically wrapping up recruiting by the beginning of October and my coming during Flyout Week was really late for them (particularly if they already had a gang of Harvard kids coming already too).

I interviewed on the West Coast and I sincerely wish I had the other schedule this year. It would have made the process so much easier and more smooth. Plus then I wouldn't have had to hear employers tell me that their classes were already filling up with students from local schools who already had their interview program before HLS.

Plus, it's not just that Columbia does it, it's (likely more so) that Yale does it. HLS always striving to keep up with #1, ya know :)

conn09

Silver

Post by conn09 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:25 pm

concurrent fork wrote:They should have done this sooner. OCI has turned into an arms race, and other schools were getting their students onto callback schedules much earlier than us this year (I think CLS was like 3 weeks earlier).
Truth

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:43 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

This x100

Also, I found the entire process extremely draining and hectic this past year. Trying to care about the start of 2L classes was difficult when scheduling callbacks and trying to hustle for a job. Flyout Week is similarly disruptive since it comes after what, 2 weeks into the semester? It's hard to just get on a good schedule and get into a good rhythm for the semester. There were also firm that were telling me they were basically wrapping up recruiting by the beginning of October and my coming during Flyout Week was really late for them (particularly if they already had a gang of Harvard kids coming already too).

I interviewed on the West Coast and I sincerely wish I had the other schedule this year. It would have made the process so much easier and more smooth. Plus then I wouldn't have had to hear employers tell me that their classes were already filling up with students from local schools who already had their interview program before HLS.

Plus, it's not just that Columbia does it, it's (likely more so) that Yale does it. HLS always striving to keep up with #1, ya know :)
Columbia and Harvard kids compete for largely the same jobs. CLS has an advantage in doing their interviews weeks before Harvard does. Plus, many HLS kids who interview for BIGLAW are looking at NYC, where CLS has a more entrenched connection (understandably). It makes sense for HLS to align its OCI dates with those of Columbia. Yale kids aren't as interested in working BIGLAW, and the # of people that do OCI at Yale pales in comparison to the # that do it at CLS and HLS.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:10 pm

I realize that HLS has a week for students to go on CBs without missing class, but almost all other 2Ls in the top-20 miss classes for callbacks, and end up getting notes, making up the work, etc. I agree that HLS is helping their students here, but what was to prevent students this year or in the past from skipping a couple days of classes and doing their CBs before the flyout week? Hell, you could do all your CBs in the first week of class, and use the week off to catch-up...

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:15 pm

Sup Kid wrote:I realize that HLS has a week for students to go on CBs without missing class, but almost all other 2Ls in the top-20 miss classes for callbacks, and end up getting notes, making up the work, etc. I agree that HLS is helping their students here, but what was to prevent students this year or in the past from skipping a couple days of classes and doing their CBs before the flyout week? Hell, you could do all your CBs in the first week of class, and use the week off to catch-up...
Not having to catch up > having to catch up. HTH!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is not strange. This is around when Columbia and NYU do theirs already. I think CLS is the second week in August, actually.
As is UVA. This whole thing is really just a matter of other T14s getting on board and eliminating the relative advantage some have been enjoying. The real question will be whether there is a new push to late July/early August.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:23 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is not strange. This is around when Columbia and NYU do theirs already. I think CLS is the second week in August, actually.
As is UVA. This whole thing is really just a matter of other T14s getting on board and eliminating the relative advantage some have been enjoying. The real question will be whether there is a new push to late July/early August.
This is what I'm getting at. And I think we all know the answer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:36 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:40 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:42 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:I realize that HLS has a week for students to go on CBs without missing class, but almost all other 2Ls in the top-20 miss classes for callbacks, and end up getting notes, making up the work, etc. I agree that HLS is helping their students here, but what was to prevent students this year or in the past from skipping a couple days of classes and doing their CBs before the flyout week? Hell, you could do all your CBs in the first week of class, and use the week off to catch-up...
Not having to catch up > having to catch up. HTH!
School policy also prohibits missing class for CBs. This is, however, impossible to enforce and everyone does it anyway.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:52 pm

nice find wiseowl

im happy about the change; it seems less disruptive and gets rid of some of the timing disadvantages

but i know what you guys mean as well about a trend of OCI being pushed deeper and deeper into the summer...for practical reasons, i dont think that'll happen...and even if it did, wouldnt it be yrs from now?

when does the field of law, or america as a whole for that matter, care about something that is that far into the future? :P im being facetious, but not really lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”