Summer Associate Job Search Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Stanford4Me

Platinum

Re: Summer Associate Job Search

Post by Stanford4Me » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:55 am

ksimon2007 wrote:I am applying this cycle and received my first admission today, but this thread has me thinking about the SA deal already. I am a URM AA male so I assume I should be looking to apply around this time next year.

How exactly would one denote that they are a URM to a firm. Seems a bit forward if you ask me to put it anywhere until an interview is requested or what not.
Black Allied Law Student Association or the like.

Also, I feel like I'm the only one not using mail merge. I don't want to mess anything up, and the stuff I have printed out for the firms (from NALP Directory) has the person I need to contact/their e-mail listed on it so it's pretty easy to just type that information in.

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:01 am

Last edited by ksimon2007 on Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:55 am

ksimon2007 wrote:I am applying this cycle and received my first admission today, but this thread has me thinking about the SA deal already. I am a URM AA male so I assume I should be looking to apply around this time next year.

How exactly would one denote that they are a URM to a firm. Seems a bit forward if you ask me to put it anywhere until an interview is requested or what not.
picture as second page of resume.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:59 am

Also, legally change your name to something ethnic like Tyrone or Jerome.

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:05 am

Sorry if this has been brought up before... but what is the consensus on sending an abridged cover letter in the body of the email vs. sending a full-fledged pdf cover letter as attachment? OCS tells us to attach the CL and resume along with a short statement in the body of the email, but I get the feeling most attorneys won't even bother opening the pdf'd CL, and might even be a bit peeved by the 60kbs of space it wastes in their inbox.

Any thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:06 am

Stanford4Me wrote:Also, legally change your name to something ethnic like Tyrone or Jerome.
LOL...I've been considering this option for years now.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:26 am

irie wrote:Sorry if this has been brought up before... but what is the consensus on sending an abridged cover letter in the body of the email vs. sending a full-fledged pdf cover letter as attachment? OCS tells us to attach the CL and resume along with a short statement in the body of the email, but I get the feeling most attorneys won't even bother opening the pdf'd CL, and might even be a bit peeved by the 60kbs of space it wastes in their inbox.

Any thoughts?
Just the opposite. People will be annoyed if they open an email to see a wall of text, and likely move on without reading it. PDF the cover/resume and do what OCS is telling you.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:52 pm

Just got a great opportunity through networking with a Sr. Associate at a V50 firm. Forwarding my resume to the recruitment manager/hiring partner and putting in a good word for me. *crosses fingers*

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:58 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Just got a great opportunity through networking with a Sr. Associate at a V50 firm. Forwarding my resume to the recruitment manager/hiring partner and putting in a good word for me. *crosses fingers*
Enviable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:28 pm

Renzo wrote:
irie wrote:Sorry if this has been brought up before... but what is the consensus on sending an abridged cover letter in the body of the email vs. sending a full-fledged pdf cover letter as attachment? OCS tells us to attach the CL and resume along with a short statement in the body of the email, but I get the feeling most attorneys won't even bother opening the pdf'd CL, and might even be a bit peeved by the 60kbs of space it wastes in their inbox.

Any thoughts?
Just the opposite. People will be annoyed if they open an email to see a wall of text, and likely move on without reading it. PDF the cover/resume and do what OCS is telling you.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:24 am

I have on occasion included a line about how the firm's commitment to diversity makes me feel welcome as a (race) (wo)man.

Idk if it helped or hurt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”