do 3L grades matter at all if you have a job? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

do 3L grades matter?

yes
15%
no
54%
other/complicated/fact-sensitive inquiry (explain)
31%

Total votes: 61

lsat_fear

New

do 3L grades matter at all if you have a job?

Post by lsat_fear » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:34 pm

if not, i'm going home for thanksgiving. if so, i might stay around and study.

nealric

Re: do 3L grades matter at all if you have a job?

Post by nealric » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:12 pm

They do and they don't. You probably won't lose your biglaw job if your GPA drops by .1 3L year. However, you could lose out on honorifics, which will go on your resume for the rest of your life.

For lateral or later clerkship purposes, it could hurt you if your final GPA was too low. My take is that it's not worth slacking. Personally, I find slacking more stressful than just sacking up and doing the work. The thought of going into an exam unprepared is terrifying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:21 pm

I am a 2L and got a summer offer with a firm. I really slacked off in the beginning of this semester. Now i wish i hadn't... I hope i don't get no offered cuz my grades dropped :(

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 2L and got a summer offer with a firm. I really slacked off in the beginning of this semester. Now i wish i hadn't... I hope i don't get no offered cuz my grades dropped :(
They haven't dropped, yet. Get your guns out and start firing.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:57 pm

So far, 6 people (the ones who have said "yes" and "no") are incorrect.

TCR is "they may end up mattering, so why would you slack, it's not like law school is hard."
Last edited by ToTransferOrNot on Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:52 pm

They may matter. But go home for Thanksgiving. I don't call that slacking. I call it being a person competent to do well in law school while still living your life.

Jessep

New

Post by Jessep » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:56 pm

Pull down decent grades. To do this should not require all that much work. I don't think I ever went in on a weekend 2L or 3L, or ever stayed late. In fact, for most classes I probably only read 50% of the time if that...I still did fine. I guess it depends on your standards though. I was happy with a fair amount of B+'s. I enjoyed my 2L and 3L years though. Once you're out working you will be severely limited on time. Go home for Thanksgiving.

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:52 pm

Jessep wrote:Pull down decent grades. To do this should not require all that much work. I don't think I ever went in on a weekend 2L or 3L, or ever stayed late. In fact, for most classes I probably only read 50% of the time if that...I still did fine. I guess it depends on your standards though. I was happy with a fair amount of B+'s. I enjoyed my 2L and 3L years though. Once you're out working you will be severely limited on time. Go home for Thanksgiving.
this

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:44 am

If you got good enough grades to get a permanent offer from your 2L summer, your brain does law school. You'd have to drink yourself into a coma to not at least tread water. Either that or deliberately take all the hard stuff in one semester and decide not to work on any of it.

That said, if the firm thought they were getting Latin honors for the website and you show up with a bunch of C's, you are probably not going to make friends and influence people.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”