Chicago Litigation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
raindropdrink

New

Chicago Litigation

Post by raindropdrink » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:33 pm

What's the best biglaw firm for general commercial litigation in Chicago? Kirkland? Mayer? Curious what the current word on the street is.

showNprove

Silver

Re: Chicago Litigation

Post by showNprove » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:38 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:39 pm

Kirkland & Ellis is the best, by far.

Best boutique is Bartlit Beck.
showNprove wrote:Jenner is the only firm in Chicago to be rated Chambers Band 1 for each of General Commercial Litigation, White-Collar Crime Litigation, and Media & Entertainment Litigation.
Is the implication supposed to be that Jenner >>> Kirkland? :lol:

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:52 pm

Jenner is known for their litigation, but it's fading prestige.

Kirkland and Sidley are at the top of the heap, but Kirkland is on the upswing while Sidley is on the downswing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:14 pm

The Chicago Big 5 are the best general commercial litigation shops:

Kirkland, Sidley, Jenner, Winston, Mayer.

Kirkland is by far the best. I'm not quite sure why Jenner has the rep it has on this board and xoxo. It's good, but I'd certainly pick any of the other 4 over it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

raindropdrink

New

Post by raindropdrink » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:38 am

rayiner wrote:Jenner is known for their litigation, but it's fading prestige.

Kirkland and Sidley are at the top of the heap, but Kirkland is on the upswing while Sidley is on the downswing.
This is what I'd heard, too. For general commercial lit, I was thinking it went Kirkland --> Sidley/Mayer --> Jenner/Winston.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:The Chicago Big 5 are the best general commercial litigation shops:

Kirkland, Sidley, Jenner, Winston, Mayer.

Kirkland is by far the best. I'm not quite sure why Jenner has the rep it has on this board and xoxo. It's good, but I'd certainly pick any of the other 4 over it.
I wonder if Jenner's rep on here and xoxo is a product of the DC office's rep, not the Chicago office's.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:09 am

FYI: Mayer is better than Kirkland for appellete lit, or at least it has been in the past, almost entirely on the shoulders of Steve Shapiro. I know that's not the question that was asked, but I figured I would point it out.

Bartlit is TCR, though, even though not biglaw (so, again, not really the question asked). They pay better than Kirkland (according a few people I know at Kirkland,) arguably do the same or better work, and do not deal with billable hours. Of course, getting hired there is basically impossible unless you do an appellete clerkship, cure cancer, etc.

Kirkland is obviously TCR to the actual question. I'm not sure that... well, really, anyone... would say otherwise.

Edit: And yeah, Jenner's DC office is in a fairly elite tier - wouldn't surprise me if it bleeds over to the Chicago office in some circles.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:38 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote: Bartlit is TCR, though, even though not biglaw (so, again, not really the question asked). They pay better than Kirkland (according a few people I know at Kirkland,) arguably do the same or better work, and do not deal with billable hours. Of course, getting hired there is basically impossible unless you do an appellete clerkship, cure cancer, etc.
:shock: Looking at their roster, I'm not even sure curing cancer would get a foot in the door.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:39 am

:shock: Looking at their roster, I'm not even sure curing cancer would get a foot in the door.
Well, for one, it's impossible for entry-level attorneys by definition. Bartlit operates on a "diamond" model, not pyramid. Indeed, the notion of a diamond model was coined by Bartlit himself. The firm focuses hiring on attorneys who have acquired a significant amount of prestigious experiences, while paying little attention to people fresh out of law school (or at least, fresh out of law school without something else really prestigious lined up).

I find their selectivity quite humorous given Bartlit's academic pedigree; then again, they might take a chance on a not-so-stellar law school graduate, but a graduate who eventually becomes a rustle-and-tussle lawyer in practice.

Another funny bit about Bartlit is his role on the investigation committee against BP. Some people have accused him of having a significant conflict of interest since he was once a major partner at Kirkland, the firm now doing BP's defense litigation arising from the oil spill.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:46 pm

They do hire some people directly out of post law school clerkships, FYI.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:53 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:They do hire some people directly out of post law school clerkships, FYI.
From the looks of their website, that's how a majority of the new associates come on board...Either way, second year associates arguing bet-the-business litigation in front of the Seventh Circuit is srs bidniz.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:53 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:They do hire some people directly out of post law school clerkships, FYI.
See what I wrote before:
The firm focuses hiring on attorneys who have acquired a significant amount of prestigious experiences, while paying little attention to people fresh out of law school (or at least, fresh out of law school without something else really prestigious lined up).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:55 pm

See: Diamonds are This Firm's Best Friend
http://www.bartlit-beck.com/about-news-122.html

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”