How bad IS it at WashUStl? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How bad IS it at WashUStl?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:07 pm

I imagine top 5-10% has mobility.

What are median students doing?

2LLLL

Bronze

Re: How bad IS it at WashUStl?

Post by 2LLLL » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:12 pm

Anecdotally I've heard things aren't great. WUSTL relies a lot on Chicago which wasn't a great market this year

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:18 pm

2LLLL wrote:Anecdotally I've heard things aren't great. WUSTL relies a lot on Chicago which wasn't a great market this year
I hear their market is *only* St. Louis (and unemployment). Is this only from the gloom-and-doomers?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I imagine top 5-10% has mobility.

What are median students doing?
No, top 5-10% might get jobs in St.L and median students will continue looking for jobs for some time...

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:23 pm

Flame.

Things aren't that bad. I'm sure the top half of the class will get jobs at least... probably even more. Things probably aren't as great as they once were, but it isn't at the level where 5-10% of people get jobs.

Try to be thoughtful - and reasonable - when throwing numbers out there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:24 pm

theantiscalia wrote:Flame.

Things aren't that bad. I'm sure the top half of the class will get jobs at least... probably even more. Things probably aren't as great as they once were, but it isn't at the level where 5-10% of people get jobs.

Jobs... yes. Legal jobs? maybe. Biglaw jobs? not even close

gglr24

New

Post by gglr24 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:25 pm

Top half has never gotten big law here...

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:27 pm

gglr24 wrote:Top half has never gotten big law here...
Or a combo of midlaw/biglaw/clerkships/prestegious gov work.

I mean things are rough and somone saying that half (probably more) will get jobs is a little over exagerated..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:29 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:

From what I've heard (do not quote me);

Top 5-10%: National BIGLAW

10-25%: Chicago and midwestern MIDLAW

25-50%: legalaid, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Bolded is what im curious about.... i mean top 5-10% is good i just dont really see it as a school that can place far from its region...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Bolded is what im curious about.... i mean top 5-10% is good i just dont really see it as a school that can place far from its region...
and by that I only mean a few in Boston, a few in D.C., and one in LA

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Don't see what you're saying here. Top 5-10% at almost any t1 school is gonna have a good chance to get something in any major market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:36 pm

Aqualibrium wrote: Don't see what you're saying here. Top 5-10% at almost any t1 school is gonna have a good chance to get something in any major market.
Regardless, I'm mostly interested in what median c/o 2013 students can look forward to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:38 pm

Don't see what you're saying here. Top 5-10% at almost any t1 school is gonna have a good chance to get something in any major market.
Im saying the person who is between top 5-10% from there is not going to be getting biglaw in LA or san fran or Texas or anything that is relatively far because it doesnt have national reach.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:39 pm

Maybe this shows im wrong if you know specific examples of this, i am only suprised by LA

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:41 pm

Maybe this shows im wrong if you know specific examples of this, i am only suprised by LA
only quoting a friend who probably only has second hand knowledge himself

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote: Don't see what you're saying here. Top 5-10% at almost any t1 school is gonna have a good chance to get something in any major market.
Regardless, I'm mostly interested in what median c/o 2013 students can look forward to.
This would be interesting to hear... from a valid source of course

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:44 pm

Im saying the person who is between top 5-10% from there is not going to be getting biglaw in LA or san fran or Texas or anything that is relatively far because it doesnt have national reach.

If that person doesn't get jobs in those specific markets, it's because they a) suck at interviewing AND/OR b) don't have ties. It's easy to get to NY, Chicago, DC with absolutely no ties to the market. In LA, San Fran, and ESPECIALLY Texas, things like that matter more.

Also, I don't think you need a valid source to hear what median at WUSTL is looking at. Median past probably Cornell and GULC (extra maybe on those last two) is a rough place to be. Are you doomed? No. Will it be hard? Hell yes.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:50 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:

If that person doesn't get jobs in those specific markets, it's because they a) suck at interviewing AND/OR b) don't have ties. It's easy to get to NY, Chicago, DC with absolutely no ties to the market (so long as you're in that top echelon and have a legit desire to be in that market). In LA, San Fran, and ESPECIALLY Texas, things like that matter more.

Also, I don't think you need a valid source to hear what median at WUSTL is looking at. Median past probably Cornell and GULC (extra maybe on those last two) is a rough place to be. Are you doomed? No. Will it be hard? Hell yes.
TCR

/thread

edit: OP, if you haven't already used the search function - do so now.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:58 pm

This statement outs you as a 0L/1L with little understanding of legal hiring. Note that you are in the Legal Employment forum.

Contrary to longstanding TLS 0L wisdom, the quality of your law school isn't that strongly correlated with its "national reach." Where in the country you can get a job is largely determined by the combination of your school rank and your grades, and your personal ties.

Examples:

If you've never been to Chicago in your life, attending Duke is not going to help you break into that market (perhaps barring you getting incredible grades) just because it's a T14 and is seen as a school with "national reach."

If you were born and raised in Denver, attending WUSTL is not going to prevent you (provided you have the grades) from coming back to a big firm in Denver just because it's not T14 and supposedly lacks "national reach."
Last edited by RVP11 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:01 pm

RVP11 wrote:
This statement outs you as a 0L/1L with little understanding of legal hiring. Note that you are in the Legal Employment forum.

Contrary to longstanding TLS 0L wisdom, the quality of your law school isn't that strongly correlated with its "national reach." Where in the country you can get a job is largely determined by the combination of your school rank and your grades, and your personal ties.
But... but... it's WUSTTTL, and they suxxorz!!!1!11!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:04 pm

A very good friend is a top 25% 3L at WUSTL and is frantically applying to state clerkships around the country. From what he's told me, he's far from the exception.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:06 pm

RVP11 wrote:

T(other)CR

ugh, I can't wait till 1Ls start rolling in here this spring/next summer, completely clueless about legal employment, to start gunking up the forum with misinformed threads

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:13 pm

RVP11 wrote:

You tell us that national reach isn't correlated with "quality", but then go on to tell us that it is correlated with "rank", which serves quid pro quo for quality on this board. I'm confused as to what you were trying to illuminate.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:14 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'd think top 10% at WUSTL will get something, though I doubt they'll have their choice of market. DC, LA, etc, will probably not be on the table.

In any case, top 10% at a T1 isn't a guarantee for biglaw much less biglaw in any market. See my post here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 9#p3618869

The top 25 schools (by placement) account for about 3,500 of 4,500 NLJ250 jobs. The lower T1 is then fighting with the T2 for the remaining 1,000 jobs. There are about 2,000 students in the lower T1/T2 who are in the top 10% of their class...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”