USNWR rankings for non-biglaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: USNWR rankings for non-biglaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:11 pm

I will be around 110K because I have like 7 years of accounting experience and will have a doctorate (JD, I know it is not a real doctorate, but in federal pay grades PhD=JD). Went to undergrad job fair lately, talked to lady representing Department of Homeland Security, who, after I described my background, said that when I graduate I will be so marketable that it is not even funny. She may not know what she is talking about, but I am jess saying. As lawyers and future lawyers we all know there is no objective truth in life , truth is what you make it.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Those certainly are the conventional wisdoms...... :roll:
Conventional wisdom also says to look both ways before crossing the street.

Follow conventional wisdom, lest you get hit by a bus.
Or lest you invent an airplane. Air travel is impossible, everyone knows that.
People knew things could fly way before we figured out how to do it.
Doesn't mean that you wouldn't be lynched as a heretic if you told people you knew how to fly during the dark ages or Salem witch hunts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:12 pm

Lol I love all these analogies

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I will be around 110K because I have like 7 years of accounting experience and will have a doctorate (JD, I know it is not a real doctorate, but in federal pay grades PhD=JD). Went to undergrad job fair lately, talked to lady representing Department of Homeland Security, who, after I described my background, said that when I graduate I will be so marketable that it is not even funny. She may not know what she is talking about, but I am jess saying. As lawyers and future lawyers we all know there is no objective truth in life , truth is what you make it.
I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything..

But, you are aware that the country is in a "cut the deficit" *thing* now where even Obama says he wants to cut back on government spending, right? Just something to think about.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:17 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I will be around 110K because I have like 7 years of accounting experience and will have a doctorate (JD, I know it is not a real doctorate, but in federal pay grades PhD=JD). Went to undergrad job fair lately, talked to lady representing Department of Homeland Security, who, after I described my background, said that when I graduate I will be so marketable that it is not even funny. She may not know what she is talking about, but I am jess saying. As lawyers and future lawyers we all know there is no objective truth in life , truth is what you make it.

But, you are aware that the country is in a "cut the deficit" *thing* now where even Obama says he wants to cut back on government spending, right? Just something to think about.
I do, do you realize that revenue generating IRS agents who make 110k a year and generate 3 mil a year in tax recovery are usually not subject to lay-offs and hiring freezes? Simple math.

By the way, thanks everyone for discouragements and reality check, I clamor for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

I do, do you realize that revenue generating IRS agents who make 110k a year and generate 3 mil a year in tax recovery are usually not subject to lay-offs and hiring freezes? Simple math.
Rational men shall think in this way. Politicians have constituents which do not. Not saying you're wrong - just saying it may be a factor and nothing is 100%.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am thinking about possibly going into Private Equity, IB or management consulting after law school. I know rankings are everything for biglaw and federal. Would PE, IB and management consulting look at the rankings also? Cause I am thinking of transferring into T10 from T30 (please people I do not bank on it, just planning on it if my grades are stellar) and from talking to a few friends and relatives from NYC financial world my T30 brings a lot better response than the T10 I am hoping to transfer to. Have many years of accounting experience and CPA.
Where did you go to undergrad and where can you get into business school? You have about a .1% chance of lateraling from Law School to Investment Banking, and even less chance of getting into PE without I-banking experience. Management Consulting is a different story, but even they look for pedigree.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:31 pm

James Bond wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am thinking about possibly going into Private Equity, IB or management consulting after law school. I know rankings are everything for biglaw and federal. Would PE, IB and management consulting look at the rankings also? Cause I am thinking of transferring into T10 from T30 (please people I do not bank on it, just planning on it if my grades are stellar) and from talking to a few friends and relatives from NYC financial world my T30 brings a lot better response than the T10 I am hoping to transfer to. Have many years of accounting experience and CPA.
Where did you go to undergrad and where can you get into business school? You have about a .1% chance of lateraling from Law School to Investment Banking, and even less chance of getting into PE without I-banking experience. Management Consulting is a different story, but even they look for pedigree.
My undergrad is a respectable private comprehensive college that I would rather not disclose. I got 690 on GMAT which is expired now so hopefully I can get 720 or something of that sort eventually. But MBA is out of the question unless my employer pays for it or I am against the wall.

Compare and contrast of PE and IB versus MC is helpful however.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:38 pm

Goldman Sachs had some Private Wealth Management guys at Northwestern last week. They said they liked JD's. But I suspect they are the exception.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:40 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Goldman Sachs had some Private Wealth Management guys at Northwestern last week. They said they liked JD's. But I suspect they are the exception.
I have heard that IBs and PE love JDs for the oomph. JD has a huge prestige for laymen unfamiliar with legal market, even from TT and TTT. But I am sure Goldman looks for Top 10. Mckinsey and Co has a lot of JDs, and they are all top 10 as far as I could see...

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Compare and contrast of PE and IB versus MC is helpful however.
The problem with IB is that it is a career caught up in pedigree and prestige. Usually, you want to be a Princeton or Harvard grad from UG, or a Princeton, Harvard, Columbia, UPenn (Wharton), MIT (Sloan), or Chicago (Booth), Northwestern (Kellogg), or NYU (Stern) grad from business school to even have a chance. Some of the later I listed don't even fare very well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:27 pm

James Bond wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Compare and contrast of PE and IB versus MC is helpful however.
The problem with IB is that it is a career caught up in pedigree and prestige. Usually, you want to be a Princeton or Harvard grad from UG, or a Princeton, Harvard, Columbia, UPenn (Wharton), MIT (Sloan), or Chicago (Booth), Northwestern (Kellogg), or NYU (Stern) grad from business school to even have a chance. Some of the later I listed don't even fare very well.
I know that is what the best chance to get a job in IB. But they do respect grades too, somewhat comparable to law firms. I am a double major in Accounting and Finance with 3.91. A guy from my college got an IB job with Citibank with GPA similar to mine, no connections, Finance major, foreign (Bulgaria). He was not smart enough with his work visa though, which he fooked up and had to go back to Bulgaria.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:52 pm

Why are you people arguing with this guy?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:53 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Why are you people arguing with this guy?
Because law students are insufferable nitpickers.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Because law students are insufferable nitpickers otherwise i would have to actually outlining like i am supposed to be.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:01 pm

IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Because law students are insufferable nitpickers otherwise i would have to actually outlining like i am supposed to be.
Hey I am not trying to contradict you guys, just trying to get as many opinions as possible thats all. I myself outlined only 1.5 classes today for next week's classes versus 2 that I hoped for. Well there is tomorrow.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Hey I am not trying to contradict you guys, just trying to get as many opinions as possible thats all. I myself outlined only 1.5 classes today for next week's classes versus 2 that I hoped for. Well there is tomorrow.
Shit you outline for future classes. I'm still at Sept 1st.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”