Navy JAG questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TheLegalBeagle

New

Navy JAG questions

Post by TheLegalBeagle » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:25 pm

I'm a freshman in college, and really interested in Navy JAG. What do they do there (other than litigation and military law), and what can I do to prepare for it (mentally and physically). Also, do they have a lot of Navy JAG's stationed in Washington, D.C.?

Bosque

Gold

Re: Navy JAG questions

Post by Bosque » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:13 pm

I don't want to try and answer the first few questions right now, as I don't exactly have time. But I can answer that last one. The answer is no, no there are not. Norfolk has quite a few, but DC is not a huge Navy JAG station.

TheLegalBeagle

New

Post by TheLegalBeagle » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm

Bosque wrote:I don't want to try and answer the first few questions right now, as I don't exactly have time. But I can answer that last one. The answer is no, no there are not. Norfolk has quite a few, but DC is not a huge Navy JAG station.
That's pretty unusual. I've heard that there have been some stationed at the Washington Navy Yard. I guess it's because it's JAG headquarters that I thought that a lot of JA's would be stationed there.

kaftka juice

New

Post by kaftka juice » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:17 pm

Last edited by kaftka juice on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheLegalBeagle

New

Post by TheLegalBeagle » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:21 pm

kaftka juice wrote:be prepared for norfolk. seriously (it's the world's largest naval station, so a very possible future location). visit if you're considering it--i personally cannot wait to get out of the area.
Is it a nice area, or not?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kaftka juice

New

Post by kaftka juice » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:18 pm

Last edited by kaftka juice on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaftka juice

New

Post by kaftka juice » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:01 pm

miacaprice1003

New

Post by miacaprice1003 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:34 pm

TheLegalBeagle wrote:I'm a freshman in college, and really interested in Navy JAG. What do they do there (other than litigation and military law), and what can I do to prepare for it (mentally and physically). Also, do they have a lot of Navy JAG's stationed in Washington, D.C.?
The answer is, you'll do a little of everything and "it depends." Early on, when you're first starting out, you'll do legal assistance (personal advising - wills, divorces, landlord-tenant), maybe some admin boards. As you move forward, you may get into some trial work, but a lot will depend on the needs of the service. They may need you to do admin law work...or maybe you can swing dealing with military justice or international law. The thing to remember is that while you may have some input, ultimately you don't get to "choose" your path - the needs of the Navy come first. Your job is to show up and do the job they ask you to do, and do it looking fit and with a smile.

For Navy JAG, the physical requirements come up front at Officer Development School (ODS), and are not as extreme as what is required of line officers at OCS. Once you get past officer school, you'll be required to do PT (how you do PT will vary by command) and you'll have to pass occasional fitness tests. Not heavy - certainly not like Marine JAG.

As to Washington, D.C., there are JAGs, both at the Navy Yard and at the Pentagon, but like the poster above said, there are certainly places with larger concentrations, such as Norfolk, Jacksonville, or San Diego. Still, billets in DC are available. From what I have heard from other Navy JAGs, spots in DC for young JAGs are possible, but the better billets in DC require some seniority.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”