Non-NALP Firm Salaries Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Non-NALP Firm Salaries

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:45 pm

Is there anywhere that I can find salaries for non-nalp firms (or nalp firms who dont list salaries on nalp)?

Anonymous User

Re: Non-NALP Firm Salaries

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:03 pm

No. The recruiting coordinator at the firm fills out the NALP forms. If she left the salary part of the form blank, it was intentional. For non-NALP firms, there's not really much you can do to get salary information (unless they list it on their website, someone tells you, or someone said something about it somewhere online). It's actually kind of a bitch because you really can't ask about this up-front either, so the only way you can find it is after you go interview with the firm and the firm makes you an offer, which will include compensation details.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:13 pm

Check http://careers.abovethelaw.com/ haven't cross referenced the lists, but there may be a few non-disclosed or non-NALP members on there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:43 pm

Thanks! Ya, you'd think NALP would require this to be reported, since candidates can't really ask for this information up front.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks! Ya, you'd think NALP would require this to be reported, since candidates can't really ask for this information up front.
NALP cannot require anything from firms that are not members of NALP. There are a few non-NALP firms that pay more than market salary, but you have to do your research to find those firms. I don't mean internet research. I'm talking about networking and chatting with law students who are further along in the process.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:57 pm

Sorry, there I was speaking about the few NALP firms that don't disclose salaries either.

I'm not concerned about finding the firms that pay over market (though thatd be a great situation to be in) but rather figuring out whether certain firms pay significantly below market.

I'm facing fairly tight deadlines, so I hope if I do receive an offer from one of these firms, they reveal the salary information shortly after.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry, there I was speaking about the few NALP firms that don't disclose salaries either.

I'm not concerned about finding the firms that pay over market (though thatd be a great situation to be in) but rather figuring out whether certain firms pay significantly below market.

I'm facing fairly tight deadlines, so I hope if I do receive an offer from one of these firms, they reveal the salary information shortly after.
They will tell you the salary at the time they make the offer. It's kind of hard to deliberate about a job without knowing the salary.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:11 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sorry, there I was speaking about the few NALP firms that don't disclose salaries either.

They will tell you the salary at the time they make the offer. It's kind of hard to deliberate about a job without knowing the salary.
Not all firms (or even close to all) gave salary information for offers that went out in Fall 2009 for Summer 2010.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:19 pm

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Not all firms (or even close to all) gave salary information for offers that went out in Fall 2009 for Summer 2010.
I've never heard of a firm offering you a job but refusing to tell you the salary.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:28 pm

JazzOne wrote: I've never heard of a firm offering you a job but refusing to tell you the salary.
ITE, this isn't that uncommon. I received a few 2L SA offers last year which stated that the salary would be a prorated portion of the first-year salary, although the firm had not yet determined what, exactly, the first-year salary would be for the coming year. Quite a few of my classmates were in the same boat: I think for c/o 2011, program lengths and salaries for 2L SA's were not finalized until after January in many cases.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:55 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:
JazzOne wrote: I've never heard of a firm offering you a job but refusing to tell you the salary.
ITE, this isn't that uncommon. I received a few 2L SA offers last year which stated that the salary would be a prorated portion of the first-year salary, although the firm had not yet determined what, exactly, the first-year salary would be for the coming year. Quite a few of my classmates were in the same boat: I think for c/o 2011, program lengths and salaries for 2L SA's were not finalized until after January in many cases.
Exactly. They didn't have the information to share. It was frustrating.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:34 pm

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:
Anonymous Loser wrote:
Exactly. They didn't have the information to share. It was frustrating.
Damn, that's rough. Everyone that offered me a job was up front about the salary.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:36 pm

Is it still not kosher to ask after you receive the offer?

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:29 pm

JazzOne wrote: Damn, that's rough. Everyone that offered me a job was up front about the salary.

It was ridiculous, particularly in light of the size of some of these firm's summer programs. Most of these firms have well over a thousand employees: how hard is it to set a weekly salary for a dozen temporary employees? One firm told me that they might not set a rate until March: although I was interested in working for the firm, I just can't imagine working for people who are so paralyzed by economic uncertainty.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it still not kosher to ask after you receive the offer?
Don't be a fucking idiot: if someone offers you a job, the very first thing you should ask about is your pay rate. Honestly, the amount of hand-holding that some of the posters on this site need is incredible.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:29 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:
JazzOne wrote: Damn, that's rough. Everyone that offered me a job was up front about the salary.

It was ridiculous, particularly in light of the size of some of these firm's summer programs. Most of these firms have well over a thousand employees: how hard is it to set a weekly salary for a dozen temporary employees? One firm told me that they might not set a rate until March: although I was interested in working for the firm, I just can't imagine working for people who are so paralyzed by economic uncertainty.
I'm working for a V20 this summer, and they were very clear that the salary last year was $3100k/week, and this summer's salary will be "the prorated amount of our starting salaries for first year associates." I have no doubt that it'll be the same as last summer, but I think its just the way they phrase offers, in case something drastic happens (in which case lots of things will be different, not just the salary). I think something similar to that is acceptable at any Biglaw firm.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:39 pm

Don't recall being told anything about my salary before the summer program.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't recall being told anything about my salary before the summer program.
How can you take a job without knowing the salary? That's the first thing I ask when I get an offer. This thread really has me floored. I never heard of such a thing, and I'm no spring chicken.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:53 pm

It was a top firm and I just sort of assumed they'd pay me market unless they wanted to be plastered all over ATL for below-market salaries and subsequently lose out to most cross-recruiting battles at peer and (*gasp*) non-peer firms?

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:48 am

JazzOne wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't recall being told anything about my salary before the summer program.
How can you take a job without knowing the salary? That's the first thing I ask when I get an offer. This thread really has me floored. I never heard of such a thing, and I'm no spring chicken.
FWIW, I accepted my clerkship on the spot without knowing what it paid. Judges are quirky and some make and rescind offers quickly. I wasn't about to risk this judge rescinding his offer (or making it appear in any way that I wasn't interested) because it was one of my top picks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:17 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
FWIW, I accepted my clerkship on the spot without knowing what it paid. Judges are quirky and some make and rescind offers quickly. I wasn't about to risk this judge rescinding his offer (or making it appear in any way that I wasn't interested) because it was one of my top picks.
Oh yeah, judicial clerkships are different.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:10 pm

I'm in a situation where I've been made an offer for summer and they told me what SAs get paid, but they didn't tell me what actually attorneys make. I'm thinking/hoping it's more than the 20-some an hour they pay students who are there over the summer... since a 45k starting salary for attorneys would be terrible.

I've been advised that I can't ask them what the starting salary is for full-time attorneys, though.

It's annoying.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in a situation where I've been made an offer for summer and they told me what SAs get paid, but they didn't tell me what actually attorneys make. I'm thinking/hoping it's more than the 20-some an hour they pay students who are there over the summer... since a 45k starting salary for attorneys would be terrible.

I've been advised that I can't ask them what the starting salary is for full-time attorneys, though.

It's annoying.
This sounds like the definition of shitlaw. Low pay, lack of transparency, and an expectation of you to stfu.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:25 pm

Well, it was actually someone in the career office at my school who told me that I shouldn't ask them

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”