Summer Associate in a city where you don't want to be Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer Associate in a city where you don't want to be

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:37 pm

For some reason I've only been able to get interviews/offers in Washington D.C. even though I've never been to the city before. I'm not a particularly strong candidate, so who knows what's happening. It's a weird economy.

I don't intend to stay on the East Coast permanently; I prefer the West Coast. Anyone else in a similar situation? I was wondering how common it is and how is the transition on going from East to West after 2-3 years or so of work?

The sad thing is that I want to work for a small or mid-size firm but they're either not recruiting or rejected me pre-interview. It seems that the West Coast is just horrific right now.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Re: Summer Associate in a city where you don't want to be

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:55 pm

suck it up. take an offer. rejoice you didnt get ocipwnd.

/thread

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For some reason I've only been able to get interviews/offers in Washington D.C. even though I've never been to the city before. I'm not a particularly strong candidate, so who knows what's happening. It's a weird economy.

I don't intend to stay on the East Coast permanently; I prefer the West Coast. Anyone else in a similar situation? I was wondering how common it is and how is the transition on going from East to West after 2-3 years or so of work?

The sad thing is that I want to work for a small or mid-size firm but they're either not recruiting or rejected me pre-interview. It seems that the West Coast is just horrific right now.
Take offer. Move after 2-3 years. It shouldn't be that tough, especially after 3.

LurkerNoMore

Bronze

Post by LurkerNoMore » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:20 pm

Both are TCR. If your DC firm has a CA office, it might be possible to transfer within the firm as well -- but don't approach that issue until you've proved your worth during the summer (but do bring up your possible interest some time during the summer if you don't think it will be received poorly, since some firms might want to have you interview or work a few weeks out at the other office).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:54 pm

OP here. I'm actually interested in patent prosecution, so things like clerkships aren't very useful for employment purposes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I'm actually interested in patent prosecution, so things like clerkships aren't very useful for employment purposes.
What about Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences? I'm not sure how prestigious or useful it would be but it came to me off the top of my head.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I'm actually interested in patent prosecution, so things like clerkships aren't very useful for employment purposes.
What about Fed Circuit --> CA firm?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:48 pm

anyone doing anything patent-related would get a huge boost by doing Fed Cir., but as you mentioned, ton of demand for very few spots.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:01 pm

OP here. I'm more concerned about the bar exam issues. Looking at profiles of lawyers, I don't see many people moving around and taking multiple bar exams. There are a few, but they seem older. I wonder how it affects people nowadays.

On the other hand, perhaps there is more mobility in patent prosecution since the primary "bar" is the PTO Registration #.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I'm more concerned about the bar exam issues.
Unless your firm makes you take NY, you could probably take the CA bar and have no problems in DC. Even if you're required to waive into DC, I hear that's easy. Check out the requirements.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:18 am

2L with only SA offer in New York (Vault 10). I don't want to stay in NY. How bad would it look to future employers if I did the SA thing in NY, got offered, then turned them down to do 3L OCI looking only in my city of choice? Is there any way to prove I was offered in NY or will future employers think I just didn't cut it?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:31 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:suck it up. take an offer. rejoice you didnt get ocipwnd.

/thread
Agreed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:2L with only SA offer in New York (Vault 10). I don't want to stay in NY. How bad would it look to future employers if I did the SA thing in NY, got offered, then turned them down to do 3L OCI looking only in my city of choice? Is there any way to prove I was offered in NY or will future employers think I just didn't cut it?
1) If you receive a permanent offer, it should be open until November 1st of that year. You shouldn't have to turn down the offer in order to do 3L OCI. In fact, that would be a silly move altogether. Keep the offer open, and if strike out at 3L OCI (which is not only possible, but probable), you won't look like an idiot for having passed up your best chance at employment.

2) To indicate that you received an offer, it's appropriate and best to do so by putting "offer extended" in the resume entry for your summer associate position.

Now some may suspect that you were cold-offered, but there's really nothing they can do about it. That is, that suspicion could apply to interviewer who received an offer, so it doesn't really matter.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:14 am

Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:31 am

BigShrimpin, you're kinda being a douche. OP doesn't want to be in New York. Getting a good gig in New York doesn't change that fact. He/she isn't a bad person solely because they'd rather not be in New York. Yes of course OP should suck it up, take the job, then explore options later, but that doesn't mean you should be putting OP down.

The fact that your friends don't have jobs at all doesn't have anything to do with the fact that OP doesn't feel he or she will be happy in New York. You should simmer down.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:34 am

Aqualibrium wrote:BigShrimpin, you're kinda being a douche. OP doesn't want to be in New York. Getting a good gig in New York doesn't change that fact. He/she isn't a bad person solely because they'd rather not be in New York. Yes of course OP should suck it up, take the job, then explore options later, but that doesn't mean you should be putting OP down.

The fact that your friends don't have jobs at all doesn't have anything to do with the fact that OP doesn't feel he or she will be happy in New York. You should simmer down.
I for one think it's pretty douchy to be bitching about the location of your SA job when most of 2011 and a good chunk of 2012 doesn't have one at all, but maybe thats just me.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:44 am

wiseowl wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:BigShrimpin, you're kinda being a douche. OP doesn't want to be in New York. Getting a good gig in New York doesn't change that fact. He/she isn't a bad person solely because they'd rather not be in New York. Yes of course OP should suck it up, take the job, then explore options later, but that doesn't mean you should be putting OP down.

I for one think it's pretty douchy to be bitching about the location of your SA job when most of 2011 and a good chunk of 2012 doesn't have one at all, but maybe thats just me.
If he or she doesn't want to be there, they don't want to be there. Who gives a shit what everyone else has in that situation. Yes OP has a job and should be grateful, but his or her happiness doesn't hinge upon simply doing better than others. Should op live the next five years of his life in NY unhappily, but be consoled by the fact that a "good chunk the class of 2012" doesn't have anything? Personal happiness is far more important than you people's vain ideas of what "success" is and how to handle it. Again, OP should suck it up and try again next year, but there is no reason he should be rejoicing about being in NY when he doesn't want to be there.

If your grades come back median, do you jump up and down excited at the fact that half of the class is below you, or are you disappointed with them? Just cuz other people's lives are shittier than yours doesn't mean you should simply accept their idea of success and be happy.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:45 am

Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:50 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:

Well everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I understand (or hope) that OP/whomever probably has legitimate reasons for asking the question. I don't fault them for that, nor did I ever say/imply that they are a bad person. My rant (read, rant) had two purposes: 1. to put OP's question in perspective for future readers (which is why I love this site...so long as the search function is working), and 2. to provide a perspective that I had not yet seen in the thread. I had no intention to put OP/whomever else down. I also tried to insert hyperbole in there to highlight my sarcasm. Guess I failed at that, eh?

OP/whomever, I wish you the best in all of your endeavors, and congrats on landing a jerb! :wink:
You know no one ever searches anyway...

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:51 am

So true.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:54 am

Thanks everyone for your advice/opinions. I appreciate it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”