Physically fit to be in JAG? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TheLegalBeagle

New

Physically fit to be in JAG?

Post by TheLegalBeagle » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:51 pm

Do you have to be REALLY physically fit to be in JAG? Also, are the Navy JAG swimming tests ridiculously hard, or somewhat easy (meaning that if you can't swim really well, could you pass?)

James Bond

Gold

Re: Physically fit to be in JAG?

Post by James Bond » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:53 pm

I'm sure you can look this up somewhere...

mnolen

Bronze

Post by mnolen » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:55 pm

I wondered about this also. All it says on the website is "physically fit," which really doesn't tell you much - but it also mentions something about being "willing to become physically fit." If you look at the training though, it seems like they put you through a lot of physical stuff. I'm bummed that I missed the deadline for a summer internship (it's today for 2Ls).

darkknight2000

New

Post by darkknight2000 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:53 am

mnolen wrote:I wondered about this also. All it says on the website is "physically fit," which really doesn't tell you much - but it also mentions something about being "willing to become physically fit." If you look at the training though, it seems like they put you through a lot of physical stuff. I'm bummed that I missed the deadline for a summer internship (it's today for 2Ls).
Although Army JAGs internship deadline is passed, you can still apply for Navy JAG internships. The deadline for that isn't until March 1. Its unpaid, but as someone who has done the internship, I'd highly recommend it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:30 pm

TheLegalBeagle wrote:Do you have to be REALLY physically fit to be in JAG? Also, are the Navy JAG swimming tests ridiculously hard, or somewhat easy (meaning that if you can't swim really well, could you pass?)
Don't know about the rest of the physical requirements, but the swim test for the Navy is really not that hard. That said, if you cannot swim, I don't know if you should really be going into the Navy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:35 pm

I recall I talked to someone here when one of the JAG recruiters came here and they asked me about my physical fitness. It wasn't really an issue since I am pretty fit, but made me wonder WTF do you need to be physically fit to be an ATTORNEY for the army or navy?

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I recall I talked to someone here when one of the JAG recruiters came here and they asked me about my physical fitness. It wasn't really an issue since I am pretty fit, but made me wonder WTF do you need to be physically fit to be an ATTORNEY for the army or navy?
Soldier first, attorney second. That's why.

Anyway, you have to be somewhat fit. That means, 1) you have to have your height and weight somewhat proportional, and 2) you need to be able to pass the PT test. You do not have to be a star athlete, by any means.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I recall I talked to someone here when one of the JAG recruiters came here and they asked me about my physical fitness. It wasn't really an issue since I am pretty fit, but made me wonder WTF do you need to be physically fit to be an ATTORNEY for the army or navy?
Because you're in the army/navy.

Even if you're not going to be deployed to the front lines of combat, you may need to be physically fit to survive. If they have a hull breach on the USS Enterprise, and you happen to be by the door that seals off that compartment and saves the ship, you'd better be helping to close that door. If you're stationed in Baghdad to represent troops there and your base comes under attack, you'd better be able to fall back to safety as quickly as everyone else. Even if all you're doing is running for cover, being able to do it quicker and longer reduces the odds that you're captured or killed. And if other people have to stay behind longer to protect your slow fat ass because you can't run like they can, that puts their lives in danger as much as it does yours.

Being in JAG means the odds are lower than other military jobs that you'll need to do something physically fit, but you're still in the military, and you still might end up in situations where your physical fitness can affect your own life and the lives of others.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”