Follow-Up After Accepting SA Offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Follow-Up After Accepting SA Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:31 pm

Hey everyone. I was just wondering if there was any appropriate follow-up one must do after accepting an SA offer. I haven't heard anything from them since accepting the offer, and was wondering if this was usual. Also, is there anything I can generally expect moving forward? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Follow-Up After Accepting SA Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:10 pm

I too am curious about this: I accepted an offer with firm X two weeks ago, Friday is my deadline for declining offers from other firms, but I have yet to get a contract or paperwork confirming my acceptance from Firm X. I emailed them yesterday but have as yet heard nothing back. Probably needless worrying, but still. :|

Merriweather

Bronze

Post by Merriweather » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:11 pm

why would you get a contract after accepting an at-will position of employment? did you miss the legal news cycle from 2008 to 2010?

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:14 pm

After I accepted I got a few return confirmation/congratulatory e-mails then silence for ~month till some required disclosure paper work came in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:06 pm

JPU wrote:After I accepted I got a few return confirmation/congratulatory e-mails then silence for ~month till some required disclosure paper work came in.
This. Don't expect much paperwork. They'd like to keep the contractual obligations light just in case.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BunkMoreland

Bronze

Post by BunkMoreland » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:15 pm

You won't hear much until late December/early January.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Haven't heard anything yet either, except one congratulatory email. I suppose this is normal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:19 am

This. Don't expect much paperwork. They'd like to keep the contractual obligations light just in case.
This is not the impetus. There is and will be no contract, so there are no "contractual obligations" to keep light.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:01 pm

Interesting. My firm sent a letter almost immediately, and the letter was written as a pseudo-contract. Of course, we all know they can do whatever they want. But it was still nice. It must just be a firm-specific thing. If they haven't given you a letter, then you can still ask legit questions--will they pay/reimburse your bar exam costs, what will your start date be or when will you know, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This is not the impetus. There is and will be no contract, so there are no "contractual obligations" to keep light.
I've got a B+ in Contracts that says you're wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:15 pm

I have an A. Do you want to settle the argument this way?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I have 2 As, yes, let's settle it this way. :D

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Haha, please tell me this is a joke. If so, nicely played.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:19 pm

If they haven't given you a letter, then you can still ask legit questions--will they pay/reimburse your bar exam costs, what will your start date be or when will you know, etc.
I think OP is talking about accepting a summer associate offer, not a permanent offer. With respect to a permanent offer, the letter won't usually give your start date (though there are exceptions), nor will it necessarily state the firm's policies regarding exam-fee refunds and prep course costs.

At no point before accepting a permanent offer or after is there a contract. When someone in an abovethelaw comments thread implores someone who has lost a permanent offer to launch a Section 90 claim, he is just doing so in jest.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:24 pm

When I called to accept my offer, the recruiting director told me not to expect a peep from then until after the new year.

Ahhhnold

New

Post by Ahhhnold » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When I called to accept my offer, the recruiting director told me not to expect a peep from then until after the new year.
Same.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:29 pm

Is the question whether you should receive something formal that clarifies your employment standing, or whether you should hear from them at all?

Since accepting at a firm, I've gotten congratulatory notes from a partner, two associates, and two hiring recruiters telling me how happy they are that I'd be joining them next summer and that they're happy to answer any questions I might have. Nothing formal, but plenty of communication, and all of it positive. There's nothing formal to expect. I was told I'd have to fill out some paperwork at some point closer to next summer, but that's it.

I was also getting stuff like that before I accepted, both from that firm and another, trying to encourage me to choose them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Nope. My dad could kick your dad's ass.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:56 pm

I got an ipod.

friend got a blanket.

others had dinners.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got an ipod.
Debevoise?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is the question whether you should receive something formal that clarifies your employment standing, or whether you should hear from them at all?

Since accepting at a firm, I've gotten congratulatory notes from a partner, two associates, and two hiring recruiters telling me how happy they are that I'd be joining them next summer and that they're happy to answer any questions I might have. Nothing formal, but plenty of communication, and all of it positive. There's nothing formal to expect. I was told I'd have to fill out some paperwork at some point closer to next summer, but that's it.

I was also getting stuff like that before I accepted, both from that firm and another, trying to encourage me to choose them.
Pretty much exactly how I was treated by my second-half TX firm. They also sent a halloween care package and random other stuff. 1st half firm hasn't sent packages, but did the rest...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got an ipod.

friend got a blanket.

others had dinners.
An ipod? That's cool. That's like, the same gift UK Royalty gets.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
If they haven't given you a letter, then you can still ask legit questions--will they pay/reimburse your bar exam costs, what will your start date be or when will you know, etc.
I think OP is talking about accepting a summer associate offer, not a permanent offer. With respect to a permanent offer, the letter won't usually give your start date (though there are exceptions), nor will it necessarily state the firm's policies regarding exam-fee refunds and prep course costs.

At no point before accepting a permanent offer or after is there a contract. When someone in an abovethelaw comments thread implores someone who has lost a permanent offer to launch a Section 90 claim, he is just doing so in jest.
So what's to stop them from skipping out on paying their summers? Or even when they're associates? I'm sure there's something.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:29 am

motiontodismiss wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So what's to stop them from skipping out on paying their summers? Or even when they're associates? I'm sure there's something.
If you actually work, you have the right to get compensated for the work you did. That doesn't mean you have the right to start or continue working.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:52 am

Kohinoor wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If you actually work, you have the right to get compensated for the work you did. That doesn't mean you have the right to start or continue working.
This. And, of course, the only thing stopping them from not paying minimum wage is their reputation among the law students they are trying to persuade to join their firm over another firm. It's pretty simple, really. Why do you think firms got to 160k in the first place?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”