SEC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: SEC

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:32 am

After applying, does the site continue to say "open application" under where the completed applications should be? How do I know that it is finalized? I'm concerned because I can still open it up and change things...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:37 am

Danteshek wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wait, we just learned that in my Securities Regulation class. In fact, we spent two classes talking about the Maddoff problem. Did they not cover that at Loyola? Strange.
It must be nice to have 20/20 hindsight. Good luck discovering the next scam with what you learned in "Securities Regulation". What makes you dangerous is that you do not realize how ignorant you are.

PS. I spent the last three months writing an article for Law Review about the SEC and Whistle-blowers. I also worked at the SEC last summer. And I worked in the investment management industry for four years before law school.

Sounds like you have more work experience than friends, which should serve you well in the SEC.

But really, learn some tact.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:51 am

Watch Markopolos' testimony if you haven't already. He speaks the truth about SEC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw_Tgu0txS0

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:15 am

does anyone know how SEC offers work?

what is the interview process like?

if you get an offer do you have to accept or decline on the spot?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:After applying, does the site continue to say "open application" under where the completed applications should be? How do I know that it is finalized? I'm concerned because I can still open it up and change things...
I am wondering about the exact same thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:57 pm

SEC has started referring applications to divisions. I heard from DC Enforcement today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:12 pm

How were you contacted? I thought you were not interested in working there again?

I applied to enforcement and preferenced a few others higher, like general counsel. I have the economic background and public law experience but not sure what they are really looking for, like does GPA matter a lot?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:19 pm

I want to be in DC. Girlfriend is a sophomore at a DC school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:After applying, does the site continue to say "open application" under where the completed applications should be? How do I know that it is finalized? I'm concerned because I can still open it up and change things...
I am wondering about the exact same thing.
Ditto. I guess we're all good.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:18 pm

SEC has started referring applications to divisions. I heard from DC Enforcement today.

Congratulations man.

I'm hoping to hear from them as well. I have superb academic credentials from a T1, majored in Economics in UG with some finance coursework, and am currently in their intern program. The only thing I'm worried about is if they are gung-ho about industry work experience.

Did you put ENF as your top pick? I put it third behind CorpFin and T&M (don't remember exactly which order I put for those two).

Good luck, and hopefully I'll have the same

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:02 pm

If you do not have relevant work experience, you will need to demonstrate that you nevertheless understand the industry. You should understand the key issues facing the securities industry and the SEC and have opinions about them that you can defend when challenged. The problem with newbies who don't really understand the industry is that they don't know what's wrong with the system and have no ideas about how to fix it. So they don't really bring anything to the table and typically cannot pull their weight.

ENF was my first choice. Did TM last summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:51 pm

If you do not have relevant work experience, you will need to demonstrate that you nevertheless understand the industry. You should understand the key issues facing the securities industry and the SEC and have opinions about them that you can defend when challenged. The problem with newbies who don't really understand the industry is that they don't know what's wrong with the system and have no ideas about how to fix it. So they don't really bring anything to the table and typically cannot pull their weight.

See my problem is that I do understand the industry and have this kind of knowledge, but it doesn't show on my resume. I'm a voracious reader- WSJ, Economist, FT when I can get my hands on it- and have friends and family who work in the industry (HFs, the Fed, general wealth management) who I have very wonky conversations with. So basically if I can pull an interview I'll be set, but I'm mainly concerned about getting to that stage.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:

See my problem is that I do understand the industry and have this kind of knowledge, but it doesn't show on my resume. I'm a voracious reader- WSJ, Economist, FT when I can get my hands on it- and have friends and family who work in the industry (HFs, the Fed, general wealth management) who I have very wonky conversations with. So basically if I can pull an interview I'll be set, but I'm mainly concerned about getting to that stage.
You may want to check out Risk Fin if you are into wonky stuff. They had some really smart undergrad finance/computer science/math guys there last summer. I think there are some JDs in the mix, but they don't dominate like in other Divisions.

The other Divisions would do well to emulate Risk Fin. There are way too many lawyers at the non ENF SEC Divisions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:08 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to split a summer with the SEC?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to split a summer with the SEC?
Yes, but they require 8 weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:30 am

Danteshek wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to split a summer with the SEC?
does it have to be the first 8 weeks of your summer?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
And why does this need to be anonymous?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:58 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
And why does this need to be anonymous?
Why does it matter if he wrote it anonymously? Maybe he's trying to figure out if he can split with a firm job, and doesn't want the firm figuring out he was considering something else and has government ambitions if he ultimately decides to only do the firm? Who cares?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:27 pm

I care. I like to know who I am speaking with, even on the internet. But to answer your question, I don't know. You should ask SEC when you get the offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:20 pm

Has anyone heard anything recently/at all?

gulcregret

Bronze

Post by gulcregret » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:55 pm

Have not heard of anyone at my school being contacted. Not sure they contact people until late November, this was the case last year; recruiting even went into February, plus the budgets are still being worked out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:50 pm

A commissioner visiting our school mentioned that they are on a complete hiring freeze right now. I'm not sure how this affects the summer program, however.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:09 pm

Enforcement interview

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:27 am

How does JD/CPA work for SEC, anyone knows?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:22 am

I know that they have a specific program for JD/MBA

You'd think JD/CPA would be right up their alley since they hire both

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”