Do firms care about a drop in gpa during 2L? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do firms care about a drop in gpa during 2L?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:39 am

Say you're on law review and you go from getting A's to getting C's (as a result of spending too much time working on law review)
Will firms care?

bigben

Silver

Re: Do firms care about a drop in gpa during 2L?

Post by bigben » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:57 am

92% chance of them not caring.

jchoggan

New

Post by jchoggan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:08 pm

bigben wrote:92% chance of them not caring.
Banking on this...

Dr. Van Nostrand

Bronze

Post by Dr. Van Nostrand » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:56 pm

jchoggan wrote:
bigben wrote:92% chance of them not caring.
Banking on this...
Not so sure I agree. I have read on multiple firm sites that grades are taken into consideration for the final offer.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:07 pm

I never understand why people ask this? Are you planning on getting lower grades?

Honors stick with you forever. Don't kill yourself for good grades your 2L/3L year the same way you did for 1L, but there's really no reason to slack off. Plus, grades matter for clerkships and early lateral-ing.

In response to the OP: At some firms it does matter, at most firms, it's not a major consideration, but you might get stuck with the reviewing attorney who actually cares.

If I was a hiring partner, my thought process would be "Ok, well, he was good 1L year. He either stopped caring or couldn't hack 2L. Why would I give him an offer - sure, he did great work for 10 weeks, but would he do great work for years?"

Also, many firms make permanent offers contingent: "you must maintain an academic record that is comparable to the transcript you have provided us" is part of my offer letter, and they mean it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Van Nostrand

Bronze

Post by Dr. Van Nostrand » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:42 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:Nostrand: probably best not to try to answer questions you have no firsthand knowledge of.

As for OP's question, it has been asked and answered dozens of times here. A little use of the search function or google goes a long way:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=128598

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 23&t=89337

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =3&t=35978

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=131760

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=130623

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=117798

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=129505
I'm really not all that sure that any of us have any "firsthand knowledge" of this question, including the links you posted. I can assure you I was told in more than one of my offers that grades are taken into consideration, so what other information am I supposed to go on than what the firm specifically tells me? I don't think a single one of us has been in a hiring committee meeting and knows affirmatively what goes on. So, @ OP, if I somehow suggested I was sure that the aforementioned comments were wrong, I redact that statement. I am sure, however, what I have been told by more than one firm. Take it for what it is worth.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:53 pm

It depends, but no, but you're probably a type A incapable of not gunning so why even ask, but really no.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Bronze

Post by Dr. Van Nostrand » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:53 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:I'm really not all that sure that any of us have any "firsthand knowledge" of this question.
Of course some of us do. If a firm does not ask for 2L grades, then by default it does not consider 2L grades when it makes hiring decisions. Since some of us have already been SAs at firms that follow this practice, we have "firsthand knowledge." Alternatively, other posters have been SAs at firms that did ask for grades and may have explicitly commented that these grades were considered as offers were given out.
Point taken. I guess my overlying point is why take the risk on slacking off? You don't really know pre-summer what the firm will want, why even take that chance considering how much of a toss up this question seems to be to law students?
Last edited by Dr. Van Nostrand on Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:56 pm

FWIW, even firms who don't look at 2L transcripts could make their final offer contingent on maintaining a suitable academic record.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:13 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:If a firm chose not to look at your grades during the latter evaluation, then there isn't really a logical next point for them to do so.
Except, y'know, when your final transcript is available.

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Summer Associate Work Product>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2L grades

That said, 2L grades will matter if:
1) Your firm is notorious for dinging people based on them.
2) Your firm is looking to no-offer and everyone did well as far as work product is concerned.
I never understand why people ask this? Are you planning on getting lower grades?
Your "holier than thou" attitude is appreciated, but misguided. People's grades fall for all sorts of reasons. Additionally for people at the top of the class, the chances are simply higher than their grades will fall. Being on a demanding journal like LR has its consequences.
Also, many firms make permanent offers contingent: "you must maintain an academic record that is comparable to the transcript you have provided us" is part of my offer letter, and they mean it.
I know what you're referring to (the specific firm), and the answer is: relax. No, that doesn't mean you can get B- bombs all over your transcript, but you shouldn't shit your pants if you lose your coveted (and frequently mentioned) #1 spot at UChicago.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:03 pm

The point isn't that people's grades don't fall - they do, for any number of reasons. The point is that this is an irrelevant question. It's not like you can really structure your life in a way that allows your grades to "only" slip a particular, safe amount. Most people aren't going to intentionally let them slip at all.

The only correct response is "do your best to not let them slip, and let the cards fall where they may" - slacking off because you think getting lower grades may not impact your job prospects is silly.

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:48 pm

career services at nyu said not to worry about this and they've never heard of students getting no offered because of grades. that might be b/c most students that get hired don't drop significantly or because firms don't care that much. either way it might happend here and there but just do ok and you'll probably be fine. i would say 3.0+ and you're definitely golden.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:02 pm

Wouldn't it be easier to maintain or even raise your GPA during 2L because everyone else stops caring about grades?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”