Finding a job out of state at this point Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Finding a job out of state at this point

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:21 am

I need to get a job in a state other than that which my law school is in. I go to a regional school, 50-100, to be close to my family. But now due to family issues I need to relocate (it's a big, across the country move, not to a nearby state). I'm at the top of my class (top 5%). I am on the primary journal, lead two student orgs, was a summer associate at a law firm, and have completed two externships (one state and one federal). I did not find out about this (needing to move) until after the OCI period. Do you think it would be worth it to mass mail firms in my target market, or do you think they have already done their hiring for next year (I am in my third year). I'm really at a loss because it feels like my chances of finding something are slim. I have already checked and I do not have any connections to my target market through professors or lawyers at the firm or acquaintances or otherwise. Feels like a big black hole. Thanks for your opinions or any suggestions, I appreciate it.

RudeDudewithAttitude

New

Re: Finding a job out of state at this point

Post by RudeDudewithAttitude » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:52 am

Depends on the market. For example, it is certainly not too late for many smaller firms. With that said, I definitely think you need to be mass mailing as soon as possible and meeting with attorneys in that market. Hit family and friends up for connections and get informational interviews, email alumni, etc.

*Edited when I realized you are a 3L

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:17 am

no harm in trying. also, visit career services.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:00 pm

zanda wrote:no harm in trying. also, visit career services.
Yep.

Only way to find out is send out apps. I'd really play up whatever family reason you need to be there early in your cover letter, so that if it gets read someone will understand that you're not just spamming every firm in the country.

LawyerBlog

New

Post by LawyerBlog » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:43 pm

You have great credentials. Markets generally not great, but go for it. Get advice everywhere you can. Reach out to recruiters in that market. Any contacts (even if not legal)? See if they know anyone working in the legal field, including paralegals, admins, etc. Join LinkedIn (lots of lawyers on there) and check out other social networking sites. Post an update on your FB account. Hunt job forums online. Would you consider a contract attorney position? And check with local bar associations and other local lawyer groups. Best of luck!

SPAM REMOVED BY MODS

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”