what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:46 am

for first year associates?
edit^ shitlaw included

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:23 am

Nothing = I'm serious

Dr. Van Nostrand

Bronze

Post by Dr. Van Nostrand » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:59 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Nothing = I'm serious
WOW. I heard of some small shops in really tiny markets paying as low as 45k starting, but not nothing. I don't understand why you would take it? Is it contingency fee based?

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:09 am

I guess if you have no other firm options and you really want to do firm work, it is a good idea.

I wouldn't do it or recommend it.

But that's me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:14 am

Lowest I know of is 55k in NYC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:13 am

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
WOW. I heard of some small shops in really tiny markets paying as low as 45k starting, but not nothing. I don't understand why you would take it? Is it contingency fee based?
Lowest you've heard is 45k? Wow. Thats a lot actually. I've heard 32k.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Bronze

Post by Dr. Van Nostrand » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:15 am

Blindmelon wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:

What kind of market?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:17 am

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:

What kind of market?
Boston.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:01 am

NYC and NJ Shitlaw can pay as low as 35K... But that's on the extreme. Typical entry level shitlaw will pay 40 to 45k. I had friends that were religated to this... (Go SJU, NYLS, BLS and Carschmozo!), and from what I gather, killself is the better option, as you work just as hard as you do in Biglaw, for 1/4 or 1/5 of the money... And then you get to how the "partners" treat the "associates."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr. Van Nostrand

Bronze

Post by Dr. Van Nostrand » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:10 am

reasonable_man wrote:NYC and NJ Shitlaw can pay as low as 35K... But that's on the extreme. Typical entry level shitlaw will pay 40 to 45k. I had friends that were religated to this... (Go SJU, NYLS, BLS and Carschmozo!), and from what I gather, killself is the better option, as you work just as hard as you do in Biglaw, for 1/4 or 1/5 of the money... And then you get to how the "partners" treat the "associates."
Yep, this is exactly what I've heard. I knew a guy who took one of these jobs, makes 40-45k, works the same amount of hours as biglaw. That said, he seems to really enjoy the work environment so I can't speak to how the partners treat him, I presume ok.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:34 am

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
I've heard of nothing. Typically, it happens in really small shops in really small markets (1-2 partner firms which might employ 10 people total). It is an extended job interview. You work for a certain number of months for free with the understanding that if you prove yourself, you will get hired on as a salaried member of the firm.

It is kind of a necessity for these small firms. They don't have the money to hire on associates only to have them leave in a year, so they can't be sinking money into them while they are still pretty useless. Also, they don't have to/get to hire every year like the big firms do, so they are a lot more careful about it.

That said, I would never do it myself. If it came to that, I would be getting a job doing something else. Hell, I think I would go to culinary school first. Or go try out for the Blizzard creative team. Or just go back and work in Engineering. You gotta REALLY want to work as a lawyer in Podunk, USA to put yourself through the ringer for these jobs. Or else be incredibly desperate with no marketable skills.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:43 am

buddy did a cb at pitt/cinci firm summer 3k for 10 weeks. 35k starting.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:buddy did a cb at pitt/cinci firm summer 3k for 10 weeks. 35k starting.
$3,000 total for ten weeks of work? WOW. That is less than Biglaw pays in a week. In fact, that is only half of what they should be getting if the salary was prorated like it usually is. That's brutal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

phillylawgrad

New

Post by phillylawgrad » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:51 am

I'm a 2010 grad and I make ~$45k at a very small firm. However I only work 9-5. My salary is not especially low for a recent grad in a small firm. The lowest I have heard of is $20k but $35k is not uncommon. These are the type of jobs that most grads will be looking at to start.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:05 pm

phillylawgrad wrote:I'm a 2010 grad and I make ~$45k at a very small firm. However I only work 9-5. My salary is not especially low for a recent grad in a small firm. The lowest I have heard of is $20k but $35k is not uncommon. These are the type of jobs that most grads will be looking at to start.
This is not uncommon at all.. Earning 65k to start and moving up to 80k in my second year has put me some 25 ro 35k ahead of most of the people I graduated with in 2008 from my school or equall TTTs like SJU, BLS, etc.

Inmilex

New

Post by Inmilex » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Salary? At a lot of small firms, you eat what you kill. You don't get salary, you work on commission. Most attorneys newly farted out of the law skkkool machine suck money from a firm like a cokehead lottery winner, and have no idea how actually to practice law. This profession, for 90% of practitioners, is first and foremost about sales. You'd better be good at it, or enjoy the last few years of doc review before it's all outsourced to India.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:48 pm

Inmilex wrote:Salary? At a lot of small firms, you eat what you kill. You don't get salary, you work on commission. Most attorneys newly farted out of the law skkkool machine suck money from a firm like a cokehead lottery winner, and have no idea how actually to practice law. This profession, for 90% of practitioners, is first and foremost about sales. You'd better be good at it, or enjoy the last few years of doc review before it's all outsourced to India.
What if you don't have any sales skills?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:34 am

reasonable_man wrote:
phillylawgrad wrote:I'm a 2010 grad and I make ~$45k at a very small firm. However I only work 9-5. My salary is not especially low for a recent grad in a small firm. The lowest I have heard of is $20k but $35k is not uncommon. These are the type of jobs that most grads will be looking at to start.
This is not uncommon at all.. Earning 65k to start and moving up to 80k in my second year has put me some 25 ro 35k ahead of most of the people I graduated with in 2008 from my school or equall TTTs like SJU, BLS, etc.
Could a well-below-median T14 or T30 grad easily get such $45-50k jobs with 40-50 hour weeks?

tryster0

New

Post by tryster0 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:26 am

reasonable_man wrote:
This is not uncommon at all.. Earning 65k to start and moving up to 80k in my second year has put me some 25 ro 35k ahead of most of the people I graduated with in 2008 from my school or equall TTTs like SJU, BLS, etc. I'm a douche.
Fixed

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:32 am

Is a firm legit if they want YOU to pay THEM to work there? I got an offer from one such firm.

tryster0

New

Post by tryster0 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:50 am

Is the firm called Gotti Gambini & Corleone? Cuz if so, then yes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dr. Van Nostrand

Bronze

Post by Dr. Van Nostrand » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is a firm legit if they want YOU to pay THEM to work there? I got an offer from one such firm.
Haha, I'd like to hear what the terms of this offer were. Ouch.

Ahhhnold

New

Post by Ahhhnold » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:54 am

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is a firm legit if they want YOU to pay THEM to work there? I got an offer from one such firm.
Haha, I'd like to hear what the terms of this offer were. Ouch.
Ouchie-Momma!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:02 am

I worked as a paralegal at small-town shitlaw before law school. Regional firm, about 15 attorneys in a few small offices.

New associates were not on salary. Pay for new associates (and all non-partner attorneys) was a complex formulation of hours billed/your negotiated percentage cut of your hourly rate/whether the client's account had been paid. Basically, associates were paid for hours they billed IF AND ONLY IF the client paid, at which point they would receive their cut of their billables for that client (typically 35 to 40 percent of an average new associate hourly rate of $275).

So paychecks tended to vary a lot. I heard of people not getting a paycheck in some months, or piddly ones like $800. Most months you were pulling in a (relatively) more reasonable 4,5,6k. It was all over the place though. I would estimate if you took a year, the lowest someone could make would be $35k to $40k (since any attorney would have to be total dumbass to agree to work for less than I was making as a paralegal/receptionist).

Senior attorneys were, however, notorious for drilling free work out of the newbies. Sticking them with three hours a day of phone calls from potential clients (unbillable, particularly if they don't sign up), etc. Or the partners would take a client, work the case until the retainer ran out and then punt it to someone else, and let a junior take the risk that they wouldn't get paid.

(Anon because it'd be totally obvious who I am based on previous posts on TLS, and I don't plan on spoiling my reference.)

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:40 pm

tryster0 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
This is not uncommon at all.. Earning 65k to start and moving up to 80k in my second year has put me some 25 ro 35k ahead of most of the people I graduated with in 2008 from my school or equall TTTs like SJU, BLS, etc. I'm a douche.
Fixed
lolwut

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”