Clerkship Application - Writing Sample Question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which Writing Sample Should I Use?

Motion to Suppress
33%
LR Write-on
67%

Total votes: 3

Tobias Funke

New

Clerkship Application - Writing Sample Question

Post by Tobias Funke » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:09 pm

So, things aren't looking too good with the clerkship apps I've already submitted. Fortunately, the deadline for state court clerkships hasn't passed yet. I need two writing samples; I'm going to submit a memo I wrote for a class, but I am struggling to decide what to use as my second writing sample.

For my previous applications, I submitted my LR comment (yes, the entire 40 pages) as my second sample. In hindsight, I'm not sure I should have submitted my entire comment, despite the fact that it was chosen for publication. But everytime I try to use a <10 page excerpt, I end up hating it because I don't think it does it justice. So, I'd rather just not use it at all (or just bring the whole thing to the interview).

My next two options are: (1) a motion to suppress (slash supporting memo) that I wrote during a summer gig, or (2) my LR write-on paper (which is a comment on a state supreme court case). Which one should I chose? The motion to suppress is obviously more persuasive while the write-on is more objective. Do you think it matters? Would it depend on whether I am applying to a trial court or appellate court? Thanks!

Dania

New

Re: Clerkship Application - Writing Sample Question

Post by Dania » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:36 pm

I suggest sending both.

Renzo

Gold

Re: Clerkship Application - Writing Sample Question

Post by Renzo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:42 pm

I feel your pain with excerpting from a long piece, but here's what I did: take the whole piece to someone you trust (who hasn't read it extensively before, so not someone who help you pre-publish) and ask them to pick an excerpt. They aren't married to it, so they'll be much more objective in finding a section that can stand on it's own, then all that's left to you is to write a proper introductory cover, so that the segment makes sense.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”