ITT: you tell me about IP boutiques Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

which firm is MOAR better?

Fitzpatrick Cella
50%
Kenyon & Kenyon
50%

Total votes: 14

Anonymous User

ITT: you tell me about IP boutiques

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:19 am

Offers from both and trying to decide. Both offices have their pluses and minuses, and the people at both firms were awesome. Basically, for me, its pretty much a wash. Therefore, does anyone have any information/insight/experience/second-hand experience/opinions/references about either of these firms? Principally, I'm looking for stuff along the lines of "I had a friend who said..." or "I heard they...".

At this point, I've done lots of research about the firms and I'm looking to supplement/jade that research with opinionated anecdotes from an anonymous internet forum. :P

tyia and kthnxbai

edit: they're both in nyc, fwiw
edit 2: im leaning toward patent lit, although im still going to want to do a mix of both in the beginning

Anonymous User

Re: ITT: you tell me about IP boutiques

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:59 pm

Bump for the afternoon crowd...any IP'ers out there?

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:10 pm

What area of patent lit work are you looking for more specifically?

Another way of asking the same question: what was your degree in before law school?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:15 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:18 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Bosque wrote:What area of patent lit work are you looking for more specifically?

Another way of asking the same question: what was your degree in before law school?

bme--so just about anything, although leaning towards medical device/pharma since thats most of what my experience entails (plus what im interested in)

its my understanding that fitz represents brand name manuf and kenyon represents generics...however that factors into the calculus?

haha, and thanks dood

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bosque wrote:What area of patent lit work are you looking for more specifically?

bme--so just about anything, although leaning towards medical device/pharma since thats most of what my experience entails (plus what im interested in)

its my understanding that fitz represents brand name manuf and kenyon represents generics...however that factors into the calculus?

haha, and thanks dood
Yah, just thought I would make sure you knew that bout them. I can attest to the fact that they do very little interesting electrical work. Very nice people at both firms, but if you are not into the pharma game they are not the best places to be.

So, I am with dood. Go with the one that fits you better. Both do pretty much the same work, so it really comes down to the intangibles. I would tell you about both, but if you are deciding between offers at both firms, you should have visited. And your personal visit will tell you worlds more than anything I could tsay (when it comes to fit that is).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:16 pm

bumping for the sunday afternoon crowd...would love to see if anyone has any insight here...thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:12 pm

Don't know a lot about Kenyon, but interviewed with a guy that lateraled from FCHS to his current firm. He said it was kind of impersonal--not a bad place to work, and always professional--but he preferred the more friendly climate of his current firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't know a lot about Kenyon, but interviewed with a guy that lateraled from FCHS to his current firm. He said it was kind of impersonal--not a bad place to work, and always professional--but he preferred the more friendly climate of his current firm.
I would agree, but I would also add that this is the general feel I got from all most New York firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:55 pm

Is there any difference between the two office locations, generally? Kenyon is at 1 broadway on battery park, and FCHS is right near 30 rock. I mean, which part of town is better to work in? Just curious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:03 pm

Monday afternoon bump...Any one else wanna weigh in? Experiences interviewing with either firm? I would really appreciate any information!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:02 pm

I wish I had more to add... These are similar firms with similar upsides and downsides. I know Kenyon way more than Fitzpatrick, with a lot more interaction before & then I did CBs there. I've really liked everyone I've met, and I think their location is fantastic -- way better than midtown, in my opinion. Their issues are IP boutique issues -- obviously the "major" boutique is a dying breed, but it probably won't affect you as an associate because the likeliest exit for a firm like that is acquisition at this point.

If you're in New York, go back and visit the firms / tell them you want to go out to lunch or dinner with people. Meet as many people as you can to decide, and if you're still torn, recognize that they're very similar and even if you have a "dumb" reason for picking one over the other (coin flip, office location) it's no big deal -- too much is still going to be left to factors outside your control, like economic future of the firm and potential of working with assholes, so even if a few years from now things go badly, you can't look back and say retrospectively "I made the wrong decision" on the basis of the information you can really expect to get.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wish I had more to add... These are similar firms with similar upsides and downsides. I know Kenyon way more than Fitzpatrick, with a lot more interaction before & then I did CBs there. I've really liked everyone I've met, and I think their location is fantastic -- way better than midtown, in my opinion. Their issues are IP boutique issues -- obviously the "major" boutique is a dying breed, but it probably won't affect you as an associate because the likeliest exit for a firm like that is acquisition at this point.

If you're in New York, go back and visit the firms / tell them you want to go out to lunch or dinner with people. Meet as many people as you can to decide, and if you're still torn, recognize that they're very similar and even if you have a "dumb" reason for picking one over the other (coin flip, office location) it's no big deal -- too much is still going to be left to factors outside your control, like economic future of the firm and potential of working with assholes, so even if a few years from now things go badly, you can't look back and say retrospectively "I made the wrong decision" on the basis of the information you can really expect to get.

Great points here...thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:31 pm

CBed with both and definitely preferred the atmosphere at Kenyon. The people I met were more friendly/open ("collegial" as some might say) and I agree that the location is much better! I found them to be quite different, which is especially interesting because attorneys at both expressed that they don't think much of the other...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:26 am

I use to work at Kenyon, (not as an attorney but doing admin support type stuff.). The people were very friendly and hardworking, the majority of the partners were down to earth as well... One thing I didn't like was the cleaning staff. There were times when I was in the office overnight finishing up projects and there would be this large Romanian woman stalking me and ending up sitting in my office with the lights off. (It sounds funny but I was really freaked out). Just be sure to not be too friendly with them! :lol:

But yeah, I agree with the other posters on the location, it's a really nice place to work. Battery park = awesome.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:59 am

Thank you soooooo much for the responses!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:36 pm

A huge part of Fitz's practice is pharma/ANDA lit. Apparently, at Fitz, there is a senior partner who is an absolute RAINMAKER in pharma/ANDA litigation. What happens when he leaves? How often at firms does business change after the rainmaker leaves? Stay the same, based upon younger, groomed partners, or could it cause clients to go elsewhere? Is this something that should bear heavily on the decision? On the other hand, Kenyon seems to be more diversified in technology/practice areas. What result?

saima122

New

Post by saima122 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:02 am

very nice post...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:05 am

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”