Why no voicemail? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Would you

Call
88%
Not call
12%

Total votes: 17

Anonymous User

Why no voicemail?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:26 pm

Three missed calls on my cell phone at various times throughout the day while I was in class from the same number. Zero messages left. I googled the number, and the prefix belongs to a firm I'm waiting to hear from-but the number isn't one I recognize as anyone I've had any contact with.

1) why on earth didn't they leave a message so I'd at least know who was calling, if not what they were calling about (especially in this day and age of caller ID)

2) should I call this mystery person back?

Bankhead

Silver

Re: Why no voicemail?

Post by Bankhead » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:46 pm

Of course, just call, wtf.

Anonymous Abuser

New

Post by Anonymous Abuser » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:54 pm

Bankhead wrote:Of course, just call, wtf.
Agreed. Come on, people. Why wouldn't you call?

LLKOOLK1

New

Post by LLKOOLK1 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:16 pm

ive missed a number of calls, and they have never left messages, they always called back...that being said, i dont see the harm in calling back, just kind of awkward getting to who you are supposed to be speaking with..

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:20 pm

LLKOOLK1 wrote:ive missed a number of calls, and they have never left messages, they always called back...that being said, i dont see the harm in calling back, just kind of awkward getting to who you are supposed to be speaking with..
Just call back and say 'Hi, I'm returning a missed call from this number."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:27 pm

LOL. Problem with calling back is that, sometimes, the particular extension that called you is routed through the office's main number, which is the number that appears on your caller ID. Thus, when you call the main number back and get reception, you might have to deal with the awkwardness of figuring out who exactly called you! :P

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:LOL. Problem with calling back is that, sometimes, the particular extension that called you is routed through the office's main number, which is the number that appears on your caller ID. Thus, when you call the main number back and get reception, you might have to deal with the awkwardness of figuring out who exactly called you! :P
And even if it's not, you might get a secretary who's an aggressive call screener and will want to know who you are trying to reach and why.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:47 pm

Renzo wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:LOL. Problem with calling back is that, sometimes, the particular extension that called you is routed through the office's main number, which is the number that appears on your caller ID. Thus, when you call the main number back and get reception, you might have to deal with the awkwardness of figuring out who exactly called you! :P
And even if it's not, you might get a secretary who's an aggressive call screener and will want to know who you are trying to reach and why.
True. I feel like the potential awkwardness of the conversation outweighs the potential utility of knowing why you got a call. What a pickle.

DeweyWins

New

Post by DeweyWins » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:53 pm

Haha yeah this happened to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LurkerNoMore

Bronze

Post by LurkerNoMore » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:24 pm

Good grief, this isn't that hard people.

Call the recruiting coordinator. Tell them that you've missed a few calls from the office, but no message was left and you are calling to follow-up. It's an opportunity to reaffirm your interest.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:27 pm

LurkerNoMore wrote:Good grief, this isn't that hard people.

Call the recruiting coordinator. Tell them that you've missed a few calls from the office, but no message was left and you are calling to follow-up. It's an opportunity to reaffirm your interest.
But its more fun to make snarky comments about OPs predicament. :) (no offense, OP--they'll probably just call you back)

sperry

Bronze

Post by sperry » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:17 pm

LurkerNoMore wrote:Good grief, this isn't that hard people.

He doesnt' even know if it's the firm.

That being said, call back and say you had a missed call from this number. If it's a firm, they'll put you through to who you need to talk to.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Bronze

Post by Dr. Van Nostrand » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:46 am

This is a no brainer, make the call and wish for the best :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:00 am

Call the person that you were talking to and say hey.. how are ya... got a few missed calls from the firm, just thought I'd give a call back...

Many lawyers (myself included), despise getting and leaving voice mail.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:03 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Call the person that you were talking to and say hey.. how are ya... got a few missed calls from the firm, just thought I'd give a call back...

This is reassuring for me. I HATE voicemail, and all of my friends, family and acquaintances know better than to leave them for me (that's why god invented text messages and email). I thought I would have to get over myself as I move into a career as a lawyer; good to know that at least I'm not alone.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:05 pm

Renzo wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Call the person that you were talking to and say hey.. how are ya... got a few missed calls from the firm, just thought I'd give a call back...

This is reassuring for me. I HATE voicemail, and all of my friends, family and acquaintances know better than to leave them for me (that's why god invented text messages and email). I thought I would have to get over myself as I move into a career as a lawyer; good to know that at least I'm not alone.

I despise them to be honest and my friends, family and especially my fiancee knows not to leave one lol. There are just way better ways out there (in 20-freakin-10), to communicate.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”