. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:33 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: How important does networking ability become as you advance?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:55 am

IMO, college networking ties don't last past college, unless of course you stay in the same market for college, law school and professionally. also depends what region, much more important in the southeast/TX. however, law school networking is quite important, both with classmates, professors, and local lawyers. many, many associates these days are getting offers due to connections.

-3d year associate, V100, boston, FWIW

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:IMO, college networking ties don't last past college, unless of course you stay in the same market for college, law school and professionally. also depends what region, much more important in the southeast/TX. however, law school networking is quite important, both with classmates, professors, and local lawyers. many, many associates these days are getting offers due to connections.

-3d year associate, V100, boston, FWIW
OP here, and thanks for your insight!

But how important is it to have networks outside your profession? Does it help significantly to know someone in other industries like finance and banking in doing your job?

And does networking ability become important if you want to advance further in you career?
Many people say that rainmaking ability is important in making partner, but is rainmaking synonymous to networking?
I don't know how one would develop such ability (rainmaking).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:10 am

I would suggest finding a mentor that has actually worked in the area you are interested and has been successful "rainmaking". Most of us are law students and our actual knowledge in that area is from observation/text books. The best road, IMO, is just being the best at what you do and then those around you will have the confidence to recommend you to others - of course it helps to have great friends that are successful/wealthy - hard to know who will be successful so my advise is to follow the money!

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:18 am

Most of us are law students and our actual knowledge in that area is from observation/text books.
I was hoping someone in the profession would give me some answers while chilling out. Like the poster above.

eh....and what do you mean by "follow the money"?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Re: How important is networking ability?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:31 pm

I agree that networking can help you. However, at least in the recruiting out of law school stage, it is not necessary. I am a transfer student to a T10 and got several offers without any connections or any networking, so all hope is not lost if you are introverted and just cant manage to make those connections

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I agree that networking can help you. However, at least in the recruiting out of law school stage, it is not necessary. I am a transfer student to a T10 and got several offers without any connections or any networking, so all hope is not lost if you are introverted and just cant manage to make those connections
Thanks!

Does anyone know how networking ability can affect your career later on?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:31 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:58 pm

2L here:

Networking is hugely important.

I stayed in touch with some of the recruiters I spoke to during my 1L job search, and landed callbacks at every last one of them.

My 1L job came through networking.

I've been in touch with judges who I have some ties to (even loose ones) to try and bolster clerkship chances.

I've managed to be put in touch with prominent lawyers through connections I made during 1L.

I've been invited to help an organization write Amici briefs to various federal courts and the SCOTUS, all through a connection I made during 1L year and kept up with.

In a nutshell, networking is great, and you can never do too much of it.
Does anyone know how networking ability can affect your career later on?
I can speak less to this, but I think it would be very beneficial.

For example, there is a certain legal issue about which I am very passionate, and much of my networking has centered around that.

When I go into practice, if an issue in that area comes up, there is a chance that one of my connections will say "Hey, I know a guy at xyz law firm who is really interested in this and would probably love to take your case...shoot him an email."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:29 am

can you give some info on how you made those connections / good ways to network? esp. as a 1L?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:can you give some info on how you made those connections / good ways to network? esp. as a 1L?
OP here, this is something I would really want to know as well.

HOW did you make such connections and HOW did you keep in touch? (have lunch together? just send text messages saying how are you? send gifts on holidays? etc.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:can you give some info on how you made those connections / good ways to network? esp. as a 1L?
You know, it's somewhat unique to everyone, but some ideas...

- Reach out to people who work in a niche area that you may be interested in (not necessarily an area you'd make a career, but something that interests you and you want to do some work in or with while in law school).

- Every attorney or recruiter you talk to is a potential networking unit. There were a couple jobs that asked me to interview after I already accepted my 1L job, and while I declined, I stayed in contact and visited those firms just informationally over the summer. Staying in touch with people is pretty key. Once you've had good conversation with someone, or a common link, it's OK to shoot them an email every now and then. Or, for example, the people who wrote your law school LORs. Professors usually. Stay in touch with them. You'd be surprised how well connected they are and how much they're willing to help.

- I have a fairly unique UG/Law School combo. I'd venture a guess that less than 100 people went from my UG to my law school in the past 50 years. So, whenever I come across one, I make sure to reach out to that person. I'm sure others have something unique like this. Hometown, high school rival team, etc. Anything that helps start up a convo is good.

- Get involved with student organizations that could somehow require you to reach out to people.

- Don't burn bridges. I've made quite a few contacts with people that I'd like nothing more than to tell to go f themselves. However, I'm not in that position right now, so I play nice and hope it pays off. If you decline a job offer, do so nicely. If you say you're going to do something, do it. If you don't do it, make sure you follow up and say "my bad" and give a quick reason. People are very understanding.

- Contact people who have a career path that seems ideal. Lawyers love to talk about themselves, so flattering them with "you're an inspiration, give me advice" can't hurt.

- Always be looking to network. Everyone you've ever known might be a valuable networking unit. You never know who they know.

- Be persistent. Obviously, don't be a stalker, but if, for example, there is a professor you really want to talk to who won't respond to emails, swing by his office. So what if he has never seen you before? If you have something you want to talk about and he is someone who might wanna talk about it, worth a try.
HOW did you make such connections and HOW did you keep in touch? (have lunch together? just send text messages saying how are you? send gifts on holidays? etc.)
It's not a keep in touch in the friendship or dating sense. But going back to the 1L firm examples. After declining interviews, I mentioned that I still remain interested and would like to stay in touch and perhaps visit over the summer. When summer began, I reiterated that interest, and a few weeks later, mentioned I had some time in the area coming up.

Or, for example, I've reached out to someone who went to my UG/LS. They gave me a little bit of advice, and took great pride in the fact that there were more of us out there. We chit chatted a bit. My UGs football team was a fairly lengthy topic. Picking up on that, I followed up occasionally after particularly close games or momentous occasions for the team and just made small talk. Sometimes I'd only send a line or two and he'd do the same, but what it did is kept some sort of dialogue going.

Obviously, don't force it, but read your social cues, and don't forget that the people you're talking to are just that -- people.

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:15 am

Picking up on that, I followed up occasionally after particularly close games or momentous occasions for the team and just made small talk. Sometimes I'd only send a line or two and he'd do the same, but what it did is kept some sort of dialogue going.
Did all this happen face to face or over your Blackberry?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:17 am

roranoa wrote:
Picking up on that, I followed up occasionally after particularly close games or momentous occasions for the team and just made small talk. Sometimes I'd only send a line or two and he'd do the same, but what it did is kept some sort of dialogue going.
Did all this happen face to face or over your Blackberry?
Normal email.

Respect for not posting your snark anonymously.

My methods don't work for everyone, but I'm just trying to give examples of what has worked for me. I know myself, and I think that's particularly important.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”