Faegre & Benson Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lawguru

Bronze

Faegre & Benson

Post by Lawguru » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:23 pm

Anyone on here work for Faegre this past summer? If so, anyone know what the offer rate after the sumer program was? I'm not from Minneapolis or any place around there, but I'm going to work there. I've heard good things, but curious of the offer ration this year as opposed to last year (which I assume NALP stats are based off of). Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Faegre & Benson

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:50 pm

Lawguru wrote:Anyone on here work for Faegre this past summer? If so, anyone know what the offer rate after the sumer program was? I'm not from Minneapolis or any place around there, but I'm going to work there. I've heard good things, but curious of the offer ration this year as opposed to last year (which I assume NALP stats are based off of). Thanks!
I'd say about 3/15 got no-offered.

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:03 pm

Did you work there? I am just curious what the reasons were for nonemployment. Many have told me that Minneapolis firms in general don't even look at 2L grades but base it entirely on your work product. I am originally from Chicago, so I'm not really familiar with the various firms there as much. That said, I am very excited to work there this summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Lawguru wrote:Anyone on here work for Faegre this past summer? If so, anyone know what the offer rate after the sumer program was? I'm not from Minneapolis or any place around there, but I'm going to work there. I've heard good things, but curious of the offer ration this year as opposed to last year (which I assume NALP stats are based off of). Thanks!
I'd say about 3/15 got no-offered.
That's not the ratio I was told by legal recruiting... Also, anyone read that Faegre came in last in the Am Law "How was your summer experience" survey?

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:54 pm

That's not the ratio I was told by legal recruiting... Also, anyone read that Faegre came in last in the Am Law "How was your summer experience" survey?
Honestly, I wouldn't put too much stock in that report. When only 10-12 summers respond, and the standard deviation is something like .2 out of 5 points, a single disgruntled SA can throw a whole firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:02 pm

nealric wrote:
Honestly, I wouldn't put too much stock in that report. When only 10-12 summers respond, and the standard deviation is something like .2 out of 5 points, a single disgruntled SA can throw a whole firm.
Recruiting didn't know the ratio by the time a lot of OCIs started, offers didn't go out until around Labor day, and at some schools OCI was already finished by then. 2L grades don't really matter anywhere, (just don't get any B-/C's) and the amlaw survey was a pretty accurate barometer if you ask me.

That being said... You will go out to nice lunches everday of the week, and most everyone is nice... Faegre did better than Dorsey through the economic downturn, and has some really rock star lawyers. Just try and avoid the landmines because they definitely exist. Also, expect to work some late nights and weekends... For some people it was a lot of late nights and weekends

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:09 pm

Meh, I chose Faegre based upon my gut. I don't understand how they can get a good rating for "it was what I expected," but then still get horrible ratings. I have heard many positive things about them. Simultaneously, I have heard terrible things about other firms ranked higher than them. It is all subjective if you ask me. That said, I was a little stunned by that survey report.

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nealric wrote:
Recruiting didn't know the ratio by the time a lot of OCIs started, offers didn't go out until around Labor day, and at some schools OCI was already finished by then. 2L grades don't really matter anywhere, (just don't get any B-/C's) and the amlaw survey was a pretty accurate barometer if you ask me.

That being said... You will go out to nice lunches everday of the week, and most everyone is nice... Faegre did better than Dorsey through the economic downturn, and has some really rock star lawyers. Just try and avoid the landmines because they definitely exist. Also, expect to work some late nights and weekends... For some people it was a lot of late nights and weekends
You mind PMing me?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:20 pm

I got a B- in one of my classes over the summer. I remain in the top 30 or so of my class. Would this kill my chances of getting an offer after an SA with them?
Bump
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:35 pm

considering an offer here.

why the no-offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:23 am

As I am also considering a Faegre & Benson offer, I'd love to hear any inside info about SA experiences from this past summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:35 am

This past summer, people were just happy to have jobs. It was a buyer's market and Faegre exploited that to a certain extent. (what firm outside of a major market wouldn't). Summer associates experiences were mixed. Those who loved it, really loved it. There were some ambivelent folks, and then there were a few who absolutely hated it.

Next summer may be completely different, and likely there will be less pressure. But if this summer is any indication, be prepared to work some weekends, work long nights, and actually have to work to get an offer.

Lastly, Faegre does some really great work and its lawyers are well respected nationwide. (I know this from personal experience).

If it wasn't for the AP option, I would never divulge any of this information, so good on ya TLS

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:47 am

SO -- do you know what the offer rate is? The fact that last year there were 19 2L SAs and this year there will be 8 or 9 makes me think that they REALLY intend to hire all of their summers.

Also-- if you DID SA with them, interested to hear how the process for full-time offers works after the summer. The more info the better! Yay Faegre.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:SO -- do you know what the offer rate is? The fact that last year there were 19 2L SAs and this year there will be 8 or 9 makes me think that they REALLY intend to hire all of their summers.
Where are you getting the 8-9 figure?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:This past summer, people were just happy to have jobs. It was a buyer's market and Faegre exploited that to a certain extent. (what firm outside of a major market wouldn't). Summer associates experiences were mixed. Those who loved it, really loved it. There were some ambivelent folks, and then there were a few who absolutely hated it.

Next summer may be completely different, and likely there will be less pressure. But if this summer is any indication, be prepared to work some weekends, work long nights, and actually have to work to get an offer.

Lastly, Faegre does some really great work and its lawyers are well respected nationwide. (I know this from personal experience).

If it wasn't for the AP option, I would never divulge any of this information, so good on ya TLS
Did you get the impression that everyone there (not just SAs) were being "exploited" and working longer hours than they had been? I.e., are people being forced to bill more than they used to?

The reason I ask is that one of the attractive things about Faegre is it has a reputation for being relatively humane by BigLaw standards. If that is changing, it would be good to know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:SO -- do you know what the offer rate is? The fact that last year there were 19 2L SAs and this year there will be 8 or 9 makes me think that they REALLY intend to hire all of their summers.
Where are you getting the 8-9 figure?
seconded. I heard last year there were about 15 SAs and that they were shooting for the same number this year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:09 pm

Sorry-- this coming year there will be 8 or 9 2L SAs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:22 pm

The SA numbers are a little skewed b/c there were some 3L summers, (clerking) & (4) 1Ls... I think that they pick the 1Ls becuase they know they're not coming back, and they can have a higher SA number for reporting purposes, while knowing that at most they are on the hook for the 8-92L's which are part of the summer class. (assuming a 1L did as well 2nd semester as they did 1st semester to go to a higher ranked firm). That being said, the feeling I got at the firm was that as a full-time associate you really have to market yourself to partners to the nth degree. I will say that a lot of associates and partners leave work around 5-6, and say that they are "working" at home. But as a summer without a laptop and access to the intranet you don't really have that option, and you will be in the office long hours. Also, I got the feeling that there was a little bit of a dearth of work in many of the departments. I don't think this is unique to Faegre though, especially in Minneapolis... They seem a little overstaffed, and partners seem to have been hoarding work a little so that they could meet their billables. I don't know what to tell everyone... I think it's stupid for people to exit law school under the impression that they will be with a firm and in law longer than 2-5 years. If you have a set plan, then go to whichever firm, (especially one as regarded as Faegre), save your money, network, and make sure to have a back up plan when you will inevitably want to leave.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:47 pm

Interesting. I did not get this sense from the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:53 pm

I am the same poster as directly above. I also chose faegre over Robins Kaplan because I have heard horror stories about RKMC in this regard, and NOT Faegre.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:38 pm

It's awesome that there's a Faegre thread on TLS! I've already accepted their offer.

I agree with 12:22 anon above. That's exactly the impression I got. The people (recruiting as well as partners) were insistent that next year's class is going to be around last year's (15 or so). But I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers will be gamed like suggested above.

Not to be a downer but I got the impression that the lawyers at Faegre were not as enthusiastic as at other places I have visited. I certainly went to other CB's (non-Minneapolis) where the people I met seemed genuinely happy to be there. Not so with Faegre. Maybe that's a Minnesota thing because the only other Minneapolis law firm I interviewed with had similar kind of personalities too. A senior associate actually hinted that the morale isn't really up, i.e. not rebounded as well as they'd hoped after last year's layoffs. Btw, insiders told me that all those laid off last year have decent legal jobs right now, with some going in-house etc. and were actively placed/supported by the firm. In any case, associates seemed a bit uptight and minced their words when responding to questions about volume of work, morale etc. It was hinted that young associates in many groups right now are struggling with their BH expectations.

Despite all this, I chose Faegre. I had networked with and met a number of excellent partners. The people I met were all great. I want to be in Minneapolis. It definitely is one of the premier law firms in the region. Plus, the work hours really is as humane as it gets with biglaw (and they have excellent maternity/paternity leave policies - very important to me). But I am unsure if I am going to love being there. The ten factors approach to comp also seems to have some detractors. The really low (negative) leverage plus only equity partners has its pros but also a lot of cons. I don't know. I just hope it will all turn out okay. As it very well should. It's a prestigious regional powerhouse that is taking a conservative approach to new hiring. I think our class will do well down the road. Let's cheer up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:34 pm

I got a great vibe while I was at Faegre, for the most part. However, there was one associate who basically said "I think the old firm model is slowly going the way of the dodo and I got in at the very end of the party," which was kind of off-putting.

One concern I have with Faegre is exit options. I don't see myself making partner long-term (nor do I have any desire to), so I'm wondering if it is feasible for ex-Faegre folks to make the jump to government, specifically in DC. The issue is that I also have offers from DC firms, and I assume it would be easier to go to the federal government from those firms. What mainly attracts me to Faegre over those firms is I love Minneapolis and I would prefer working slightly less crazy hours in exchange for somewhat less in the way of compensation.

And if not the federal government, what kind of exit options are you looking at? State government?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got a great vibe while I was at Faegre, for the most part. However, there was one associate who basically said "I think the old firm model is slowly going the way of the dodo and I got in at the very end of the party," which was kind of off-putting.

One concern I have with Faegre is exit options. I don't see myself making partner long-term (nor do I have any desire to), so I'm wondering if it is feasible for ex-Faegre folks to make the jump to government, specifically in DC. The issue is that I also have offers from DC firms, and I assume it would be easier to go to the federal government from those firms. What mainly attracts me to Faegre over those firms is I love Minneapolis and I would prefer working slightly less crazy hours in exchange for somewhat less in the way of compensation.

And if not the federal government, what kind of exit options are you looking at? State government?
You're exit options will be limited to Minneapolis, for some that's a great thing. (especially considering all the fortune 5 headquarters) for you though, you better not go to Faegre if you want to ultimately end up in D.C. But that's just common sense

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:32 pm

I am torn between Faegre and Oppenheimer. I can't decide. Take the regional "prestige" or take the fact that I'm promised a job when I graduate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:19 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”