Physically adjusting to NYC biglaw hours Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Physically adjusting to NYC biglaw hours

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:32 pm

I went to LS straight from ugrad, so I don't have full-time WE. (This summer I worked for a judge and worked 8-5.) Is anyone else concerned about physically adjusting to biglaw hours? I don't exercise, but think that I should start. Advice?

bostonboy870

New

Re: Physically adjusting to NYC biglaw hours

Post by bostonboy870 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:37 pm

Forum Rules wrote:Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, clerkship, etc.
I really don't understand why OP is anon. Kinda annoying.

To answer your question though, I don't think you need to start exercising unless you're a complete fat-ass. You might want to exercise just to stay healthy, but it's not a necessity.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:39 pm

bostonboy870 wrote:I really don't understand why OP is anon. Kinda annoying.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=130748

Please read and follow, thank you.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:40 pm

You've never held a full-time job, but have nonetheless committed to a 60+ hour workweek in a stressful environment? Exercise would certainly help, but I suspect that there is very little that can help you make this adjustment.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:42 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
bostonboy870 wrote:I really don't understand why OP is anon. Kinda annoying.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=130748

Please read and follow, thank you.
Not to derail the thread, but I follow the protocol in the linked thread regularly, and the mods respond more or less instantly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:45 pm

bostonboy870 wrote:
Forum Rules wrote:Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, clerkship, etc.
To answer your question though, I don't think you need to start exercising unless you're a complete fat-ass. You might want to exercise just to stay healthy, but it's not a necessity.
Exercise is not just about looking slim. Exercise gives people more energy and helps them focus. I'm just wondering how people are preparing themselves for 10-12+ hour workdays. I think it might be a particularly hard adjustment for those of us, like me, who went straight to LS from undergrad and have never held a real job.
Anonymous Loser wrote:You've never held a full-time job, but have nonetheless committed to a 60+ hour workweek in a stressful environment? Exercise would certainly help, but I suspect that there is very little that can help you make this adjustment.
I think a lot of people who work in biglaw were in a similar position. Also a lot of people with WE who end up in law school had "easy" 40 hour/week jobs before LS. (I only worked for the judge for 3 months, but 9 (let alone 8 ) hours a day wasn't bad at all.) I'm just wondering what I can do to prepare myself physically for working 10/12 hours a day.

Any real advice is appreciated.

warumnicht

New

Post by warumnicht » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:13 am

I don't think that a huge adjustment needs to be made. Chances are, if you made it into biglaw, you worked quite hard in law school (and maybe undergrad). I'm guessing that a lot of law students put in the same kind of time into their studies as big law associates do into their job. Granted, the work is different, but the time commitment is probably similar. You'll just have to get used to doing work in regular clothes instead of studying in sweatpants!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:39 am

warumnicht wrote:I'm guessing that a lot of law students put in the same kind of time into their studies as big law associates do into their job. Granted, the work is different, but the time commitment is probably similar.
You have to be joking.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:14 am

With class, I do about 60-70 hrs/wk, so no...I don't think he's joking. Sounds about right.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Unshake

New

Post by Unshake » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:35 am

RVP11 wrote:
warumnicht wrote:I'm guessing that a lot of law students put in the same kind of time into their studies as big law associates do into their job. Granted, the work is different, but the time commitment is probably similar.
You have to be joking.

I'm in UG but my typical day is class 9-3PM (3 15 minute breaks), work 4-7. Plus additional studying every day (including LSAT). Given I have some lab courses that are several hour time chunks but I would be fairly surprised if my school + work + out of class school work + LSAT (At least 3 full practice tests a week) ends up being less than 70 hours per week. Given the mental toll sitting in a lecture taking notes is significantly less than that of doing real work, not having much down time still sucks.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:43 am

I don't think you need to be in shape to work long hours. At least, that hasn't been my experience. Maybe it will be tiring at first, but you'll get used to it quickly.

$$$$$$

Bronze

Post by $$$$$$ » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:49 am

Unshake wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
You have to be joking.

I'm in UG but my typical day is class 9-3PM (3 15 minute breaks), work 4-7. Plus additional studying every day (including LSAT). Given I have some lab courses that are several hour time chunks but I would be fairly surprised if my school + work + out of class school work + LSAT (At least 3 full practice tests a week) ends up being less than 70 hours per week. Given the mental toll sitting in a lecture taking notes is significantly less than that of doing real work, not having much down time still sucks.

from 2 months at law school i have come to the conclusion that law students are whiny

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:52 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Merriweather

Bronze

Post by Merriweather » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:00 am

MrKappus wrote:With class, I do about 60-70 hrs/wk, so no...I don't think he's joking. Sounds about right.
with class, i'm lucky if i do 15.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:03 am

RVP11 wrote:
You have to be joking.
It's not the 16 hour days that'll get to me, it'll be the two months of doing jack shit before that I'm going to miss. :lol:

Anonymous Abuser

New

Post by Anonymous Abuser » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:13 am

60 hour work weeks really aren't bad.

Force yourself to get in early (6 am), get out 12 hours later, and have 4-5 hours of non-work life to break up the monotony.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:16 am

Last edited by dood on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:38 am

Anonymous Abuser wrote:60 hour work weeks really aren't bad.

Force yourself to get in early (6 am), get out 12 hours later, and have 4-5 hours of non-work life to break up the monotony.
You're not going to get in at 6 am at a big law firm. Lawyers are not morning people. Partners are going to want you there at 9-10 am just like them.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:40 am

rayiner wrote:
Anonymous Abuser wrote:60 hour work weeks really aren't bad.

You're not going to get in at 6 am at a big law firm. Lawyers are not morning people. Partners are going to want you there at 9-10 am just like them.
+1

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:03 pm

Is it really only a 60 hour work-week? Either you're grossly underestimating, or this biglaw stuff is not that bad.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:06 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Is it really only a 60 hour work-week? Either you're grossly underestimating, or this biglaw stuff is not that bad.
Depends on the practice and the week.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:08 pm

MrKappus wrote:With class, I do about 60-70 hrs/wk, so no...I don't think he's joking. Sounds about right.
During the entire semester? That has got to be pretty unusual.

I think most people generally put in a crazy hours in the weeks before finals, but that's it. Biglaw is very different from this slack-slack-slack-cram approach.

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:08 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Is it really only a 60 hour work-week? Either you're grossly underestimating, or this biglaw stuff is not that bad.
From what I've heard, this is a fair estimate in certain practice areas.

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:09 pm

Which practice areas?

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:11 pm

Deal support: tax and EB. Might also be true for lit at some places that don't have a lot of doc review.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”