Physically adjusting to NYC biglaw hours Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous Abuser

New

Re: Physically adjusting to NYC biglaw hours

Post by Anonymous Abuser » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:16 pm

paratactical wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Anonymous Abuser wrote:60 hour work weeks really aren't bad.

Force yourself to get in early (6 am), get out 12 hours later, and have 4-5 hours of non-work life to break up the monotony.
You're not going to get in at 6 am at a big law firm. Lawyers are not morning people. Partners are going to want you there at 9-10 am just like them.
+1
Wasn't a problem at the big firm I worked at last summer. There were also several partners there getting in at the same time.

It may be better to work the same hours as partners if you are trying to make partner, but if your goal is to just make it four years without getting fired...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:20 pm

The trend of getting in at 10am seems pretty much confined to major markets, mostly NYC. In smaller markets it's not unusual for partners to get in before 8am and leave before 6pm. If you have a SO who's working a 8-5 or 7:30-3:30 (teacher) then you might want to think again about going to a market where you'll be working 10-8 and never seeing your SO. I turned down major market BigLaw for regional BigLaw largely because of this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:23 pm

only the gunner summers in my class (c/o 11) got in before 9:45AM. no one saw their hard hard work on 14 hours of garbage

jchoggan

New

Post by jchoggan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I went to LS straight from ugrad, so I don't have full-time WE. (This summer I worked for a judge and worked 8-5.) Is anyone else concerned about physically adjusting to biglaw hours? I don't exercise, but think that I should start. Advice?
How about you exercise regardless? Kinda seems like a necessary thing. But if you aren't PHYSICALLY able to handle simply working long hours, you're pretty unhealthy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:only the gunner summers in my class (c/o 11) got in before 9:45AM. no one saw their hard hard work on 14 hours of garbage
I got in early because I had an hour long commute without traffic. It was either work til 3 or 4 to beat the traffic, or work til 630 or 7, and not get home til 8ish.

They understood.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”